Expansion

Tyler

• Senior Admin
8 hours ago, Tyler said:

I think we should have teams in non NHL markets. I'd honestly move Calgary, Toronto and New York if it were fully up to me.

I like that. Those are the teams that have always been basically assumed to be off-limits, but it would be cool if we defined our own markets. 

4 minutes ago, Will said:

I like that. Those are the teams that have always been basically assumed to be off-limits, but it would be cool if we defined our own markets. 

Honestly if we were to go that route I think it'd be neat to just do a wholesale relocation. Maybe keep one Euro and one American and then relocate from there. Seems like with the love of places like Moscow, and Philly we could. The biggest hurdle is always names, logo's graphics. Graphics especially since we don't seem to have a resdient amazing logo maker anymore and have had to outsource for that of late. 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Will said:

Calgary and Seattle in particular are approaching Vasteras levels of lack of success tbh. They have like two highlights each since S30. And technically Calgary's already been contracted but y'all pulled your punches.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Devise said:

Honestly if we were to go that route I think it'd be neat to just do a wholesale relocation. Maybe keep one Euro and one American and then relocate from there. Seems like with the love of places like Moscow, and Philly we could. The biggest hurdle is always names, logo's graphics. Graphics especially since we don't seem to have a resdient amazing logo maker anymore and have had to outsource for that of late. 

Why is there always 1 step between "let's make this one change" and Devise's "also let's start from scratch guys"?

3 minutes ago, Victor said:

Why is there always 1 step between "let's make this one change" and Devise's "also let's start from scratch guys"?

Haha. TBF bigger relocation isn't start from scratch, but it could trickle down. Rosters and everything else could stay the same. I just know if it becomes the pandora's box of "we are allowing X GM to relocate" that other GM's will probably want to do so. It's been off and on like that in the VHLM where we have allowed a bit more freedom in regards to locations. But it has also kept some staples as well mind you. 

But if we are opening the door to teams like New York, Helsinki, Seattle, Calgary etc, then I don't see why we wouldn't just say "what cities do we actually want on the whole" and go from there. Ultimately because we have only one conference, who relocates where provided their entire team stays intact is pretty arbitrary. 

• Senior Admin

Seattle's been on the radar for moving for quite some time, but it's just never gotten worked out logistically with finalizing a new location/logo. But I do remember from our discussions that Bana was looking to go EU to balance the NA/EU teams.

Then again, maybe Calgary should do that, if for no other reason than @Fire Hakstol might have a stroke if we dropped another US team. 

• Admin
Just now, Devise said:

Haha. TBF bigger relocation isn't start from scratch, but it could trickle down. Rosters and everything else could stay the same. I just know if it becomes the pandora's box of "we are allowing X GM to relocate" that other GM's will probably want to do so. It's been off and on like that in the VHLM where we have allowed a bit more freedom in regards to locations. But it has also kept some staples as well mind you. 

But if we are opening the door to teams like New York, Helsinki, Seattle, Calgary etc, then I don't see why we wouldn't just say "what cities do we actually want on the whole" and go from there. 

To be honest I wouldn't leave this to a GM's discretion entirely - more finding a willing GM to relocate, much like boubabi and Vasteras.

And I'm not necessarily suggesting we overhaul based on location, more 'is the franchise actually struggling and still living off success from the first 10 seasons?'.

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Will said:

Seattle's been on the radar for moving for quite some time, but it's just never gotten worked out logistically with finalizing a new location/logo. But I do remember from our discussions that Bana was looking to go EU to balance the NA/EU teams.

Then again, maybe Calgary should do that, if for no other reason than @Fire Hakstol might have a stroke if we dropped another US team. 

I mean aside from the Canada/US split, it would definitely have to be Seattle haha. Just not particularly good for too long now.

12 hours ago, Banackock said:

This, too. 

Hard to to stay away from 30+ major North American cities. 

A high league shouldnt have shit cities like Saskatoon, Regina and small market places. Imo

I mean there are plenty of Major cities left that dont have NHL teams. Cincinnati, Cleveland, Atlanta, Savannah, Houston, Austin, Minneapolis, 

I actually put together a list of potential new cities earlier.

Below is the list, which I have edited to remove cities with an NHL team.

North east:

2.       Hartford (CT)

3.       Portland (ME)

6.       Baltimore (MD)

7.       Delaware

8.       Bridge Port (RI)

South East:

1.       Richmond (VA)

2.       Charlotte (NC)

3.       Charleston (SC)

4.       Savannah (GA)

5.       Atlanta (GA)

6.       Miami (FL)

7.       New Orleans (LO)

8.       Louisville (KT)

Mid West:

1.       Indianapolis (IN)

2.       Oklahoma City (OK)

3.       Cleveland (OH)

4.       Cincinnati (OH)

5.       Memphis (TN)

7.       Houston (TX)

8.       Austin (TX)

Pacific:

3.       Salt Lake City (UT)

4.       San Francisco (CA)

5.       Portland (OR)

6.       Boise (ID)

7.       San Diego (CA)

8.       Sacramento (CA)

10 hours ago, Devise said:

@boubabi we need you back

1 hour ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

@boubabi we need you back

Not really a great meme, especially considering the fallout with him had to do with graphics. We are lucky up to this point that we are still able to use some of the ones he still has uploaded. We are outsourcing official graphics work it appears now, but I imagine even if a notable name came back like say Kora or someone else, expecting a charge or a fee for high level graphics work is becoming the norm on the net. 

To be honest, I wouldn't relocate Seattle because it's one of the few NA teams we have that doesn't have an NHL city. I'd love Philly to be in the VHL but I think it'd work as a VHLM team as well.

From Spade's list:

9 hours ago, Spade18 said:

North east: (Problem with the Northeast is that most of the worthwhile cities already have NHL teams)

2.       Hartford (CT) - Not bad

3.       Portland (ME) - Eh

6.       Baltimore (MD) - I could get behind this

7.       Delaware - No. This state barely exists. Have you ever actually met someone from Delaware?

8.       Bridge Port (RI) - Eh

South East:

1.       Richmond (VA) - I could get behind this

2.       Charlotte (NC) - Like Richmond better but not bad

3.       Charleston (SC) - Eh

4.       Savannah (GA) - Meh

5.       Atlanta (GA) - Hard pass. Awful sports city

6.       Miami (FL) - See Atlanta

7.       New Orleans (LO) - Decent

8.       Louisville (KT) -  Meh

Mid West:

1.       Indianapolis (IN) - Meh

2.       Oklahoma City (OK) - eeehhhhh

3.       Cleveland (OH) - Nah, sorry city

4.       Cincinnati (OH) - Only a small step up from Cleveland

5.       Memphis (TN) - I like this one

7.       Houston (TX) - I really like this one. Bring back the Aeros

8.       Austin (TX) - Decent but if we're going TX then go Houston IMO

Pacific:

3.       Salt Lake City (UT) - Meh

4.       San Francisco (CA) - Eh

5.       Portland (OR) - This is decent.

6.       Boise (ID) - Potato quality

7.       San Diego (CA) - EEh

8.       Sacramento (CA) - Eh

Just now, Fire Hakstol said:

To be honest, I wouldn't relocate Seattle because it's one of the few NA teams we have that doesn't have an NHL city. I'd love Philly to be in the VHL but I think it'd work as a VHLM team as well. 

From Spade's list:

Sorry bud no American teams until they pull all troops out of Muslim countries.

I’d say the topic of expansion is dead, especially with the blue team dropping 8 good to all-star level players from the league.

As for relocation, Calgary won’t move out of western Canada while I run the team.