What Odd VHL Things Do You Do?

Fire Tortorella

Everyone has their quirks. What are some of the odd VHL related things that you do? For example, I:

• Used the same last name for all of my players
  • Always tried to play at least one season for the Ottawa Ice Dogs/Lynx while in the VHLM
  • Look at the games simmed each day in game number order, no matter where they stand in the "most recent posts"
  • Haven't changed my profile picture in way over a calendar year
  • Almost never hit free agency and stay with the same team unless traded

Of the above, two or three of them are most likely going to end at some point. I'm not sure what my next players name will be, but I'm not sure if it'll include the same last name. I'm terrified of someone work-related finding my account on here. I actually planned on changing my profile picture when @Devise asked about it in a press conference. I'm unsure what my free agency plans will be this year. I'm enjoying my time with Quebec this year (more than I thought I would, and that's nothing against @Beaviss and the rest of the Meute), but I may want to hit free agency and choose my own spot for my last year with Jeff.

24 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

It is a little given who mine is.

Yeah but being able to recognize you and associate you with Littlefinger is probably one of the best things about you never changing. I'll forever, even on rewatches, see GoT and think "here comes Flyersfan into the scene." 

Also for me, I'd say I share your one regarding looking at the games on the index in the order they are simmed. 

I also have a weird avatar one now where I change my avatar based on the show I'm watching, changing it to whichever my fav character is from the current show I'm watching. 

Probably my weirdest quirk would be trading draft picks as GM. Even now, seasons removed, the itch slowly builds back up. I mean if I'm not trading for HoF level talent than what is even the point amirite? :P 

Just now, Trifecta said:

I retire earlier than I should with my players but it's not odd since it happens all the time.

Oh it is odd. It's just, you make that your thing. The most depressing thing about your quirk is that we all wish you'd stick one out and join the HoF like you should of ages ago. You actually build way better players than your given credit because of this quirk. 

19 minutes ago, Devise said:

Oh it is odd. It's just, you make that your thing. The most depressing thing about your quirk is that we all wish you'd stick one out and join the HoF like you should of ages ago. You actually build way better players than your given credit because of this quirk. 

Well maybe I do take one there, maybe I just like the thought of going there and getting pissed when I don't.

2 hours ago, Fire Hakstol said:
  • Almost never hit free agency and stay with the same team unless traded

I do this too. I think I went to FA once and overall it's just an overrated expereince in a league like ours.

2 hours ago, Trifecta said:

Well maybe I do take one there, maybe I just like the thought of going there and getting pissed when I don't.

Yeah maybe. I don't know and I could be off base here but it always felt like, talking with you about it mind you, that you simply want to make one of the best VHL players ever, not just one of the many HoFers who get in because they are good or great in spurts. But you've very much had several players who I think had you stuck them out for sure they would of made it in. I just always got the vibe that wasn't good enough for you. Which is fine, game the VHL however you wish in most cases. 

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

I do this too. I think I went to FA once and overall it's just an overrated expereince in a league like ours.

Jim - don't think I hit FA

Robin - did not hit FA

Bernie - FA for 1 season to get traded to CGY mid-season - player sucked though

Shayne - Hit free agency after getting traded to SEA, player wasn't very good at the time. HSK was only team that made offer.

Jeff - Was on DAV until trade to QUE.

Only time I think it's "fun" to hit free agency is if you're a premier player sought after by a bunch of teams...otherwise it just reminds you how much of a scrub you are ?

2 hours ago, Tyler said:

This. I hit FA jokingly with Intranquilo once - I knew full well I was going back to Calgary, I just wanted to technically go to FA to see what would happen. It sucked. I had to turn down this super passionate plea to get me to go to Vasteras that was so well written that it broke my desire to ever go to FA just so I didn't have to turn down a plea like that again.

1 minute ago, diamond_ace said:

This. I hit FA jokingly with Intranquilo once - I knew full well I was going back to Calgary, I just wanted to technically go to FA to see what would happen. It sucked. I had to turn down this super passionate plea to get me to go to Vasteras that was so well written that it broke my desire to ever go to FA just so I didn't have to turn down a plea like that again.

Yeah I get what you mean. It sucks to turn people down when they're so passionate about signing you.

2 hours ago, Devise said:

Yeah maybe. I don't know and I could be off base here but it always felt like, talking with you about it mind you, that you simply want to make one of the best VHL players ever, not just one of the many HoFers who get in because they are good or great in spurts. But you've very much had several players who I think had you stuck them out for sure they would of made it in. I just always got the vibe that wasn't good enough for you. Which is fine, game the VHL however you wish in most cases. 

Something like that.