Old Portal Reminiscing

Hybrid1486

I just caught the notice at the top of the forum about old indexes being relocated to the portal, so I decided to take a peek and found that the indexes go all the way back to Season 20. That made me smile.

I've come and gone over the years, so I've missed quite a bit around here, but Season 20 is far and away my favorite season in VHL history. That season saw an unusual spike in offense from what I remember, kind of like we had last season (though not quite on that scale). At the forefront of it all was the Riga Reign, the team I had been traded to the season prior. Just look at these numbers:

2018-11-28.thumb.png.1f64df6f11f0cfa4f60b10d7224c5a52.png

I've only really been active with a defenseman and a goalie since then prior to Slipher, so I guess it's not hard to believe that I still haven't topped the 37 goals or 113 points that Stoyanovich put up with any of my subsequent players. I'm sure Slipher will top the goals mark eventually, at least.

I'm trying to put some usernames to the player names here...I'm about 95% sure Virkkunen was @Quik, and I know Saeijs was @frescoelmo because we go back to the old, old, old football league days. I'm also pretty sure Percy Jackson was @TheLastOlympian07's first VHL player, too. Even the guys that are long gone I remember fondly...I forget Kronenburg's username, but I remember he'd put out absurdly long and well-written media spots every single week for a few years. Scarlett's username also escapes me, but I remember trading for him during my failed run as Toronto's GM in the mid-20's. I also remember @Zero (Stormwall) killing himself with that wonderful 20 for 20 series.

This also takes me back to a very important time for me, personally. This season was simmed during the first few months of 2011, when I was 24 and preparing to move about 700 miles away from the only home I ever knew. 7 1/2 years later, I've found a very good career and I'm about 1 year into my mortgage on my first house. Life has changed a lot since then...

I could probably have stretched this into a MS, but I've already claimed welfare and I'm getting 3 points for this anyway, so cool.

Also, tagging @Victor because this is VHL history-related.

Wrong on Virkkunen. I think that may have been Bentz?

I was the one who drafted you to Helsinki though! I think Kendrick traded you to Riga when I stepped down. 

41 minutes ago, Quik said:

Wrong on Virkkunen. I think that may have been Bentz?

I was the one who drafted you to Helsinki though! I think Kendrick traded you to Riga when I stepped down. 

Yeah, you're right...my bad

49 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

that was like my 3rd player. But yea that was a interesting season for sure!

My memory is way the fuck off

• 4 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 7:17 PM, frescoelmo said:

Nonu was a big sig guy IIRC, I think he left during his career in Riga

Sorry I know this is old, it only came up because I was looking through your comments now that you're back to see if you had made a guy - Nonu was The Q. I remember that specifically because he was also co commish of VFL with Coach

11 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

Sorry I know this is old, it only came up because I was looking through your comments now that you're back to see if you had made a guy - Nonu was The Q. I remember that specifically because he was also co commish of VFL with Coach

Haha my last guy made @TheLastOlympian07 very upset