Calgary Wranglers press conference

diamond_ace

1. We are in the playoffs what is your mindset coming forward?

Win shifts, win games.

2. Do you feel Calgary can bring home the trophy?

Yes. We have solid balance in the roster and we are improving steadily.

3. Would your rather play for a extremely offensive team, or a extremely defensive team.

Extremely offensive team. Rules are for chess.

4. What so your favorite part of the VHL off season?

Playoffs, that is when the fun truly starts!

5. Are you hyped for the first ever Calgary mma off season tournament?

Yes and no. I don't know anything about MMA, but it is cool that new ideas come up!

6. Would you rather be a hour early to everything or be a hour late?

Hour early. Can't be late.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:41 AM, Ben said:

Week ending august 14th Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

3. Would your rather play for a extremely offensive team, or a extremely defensive team.

1. Get better every day.

2. I did think we were able to. Shame we fell so early.

3. Woof. I love a great defensive squad, but the spectacle of an offensive team is brilliant.

4. Dancing chairs with GM positions, but the off-season tournaments are a must-watch!

5. I'm shirts, you're skins!

6. Late 😂

On 8/7/2022 at 8:41 PM, Ben said:

Week ending august 14th Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

1. Win as much as possible.

2. We lost already, but I still think we could have won it all. We have what it takes. All those games against DC were close.

3. Defense, probably? I love offense, but offense is usually what brings you the individual awards. Defense wins the championships.

4. Seeing what free agents go where, and what teams are going into rebuild, etc. It's fun to watch teams blow it up and who gets who.

5. Yes! Should be fun.

6. Hour early. I don't mind being late, but a full hour of lateness will make you miss a lot of things, probably with consequences depending the situation.

New York Mets Sport GIF by SNY

1. Well the season is over, but what do you look forward too for next season?

2.  How much do you think salary cap effects VHL teams?

3. Do you believe being a really good GM in the VHLE would transfer to being a GM in the VHL?

4. If you’re hiring a GM for a VHL team would your rather choose someone who has experience AGMing a VHL team, or some who was a GM for the VHLM?

5. What is a funky fact about you that you wouldn’t mind sharing with the team?

6. How much do you believe size matters, in hockey?

Edited by Ben

1 hour ago, Ben said:

3. Do you believe being a really good GM in the VHLE would transfer to being a GM in the VHL?

4. If you’re hiring a GM for a VHL team would your rather choose someone who has experience AGMing a VHL team, or some who was a GM for the VHLM?

1. Next season I think that Sax Justice is going to be joining the Wranglers, so I'm pretty excited about that.

2. Tons, I think? I stay out of management in this league, but I think the salary cap makes it really competitive.

3. Not as much as you might think, being a VHL GM you need to think long term, whereas in the E you are only going to have players with you for a much shorter time.

4. AGMing a VHL team I think.

5. The music I listen to is 90% melodic power metal.

6. In real life? Quite a bit. You can't teach size. And while there are are guys like Quinn Hughes or Brad Marchand that aren't huge and are successful, there are also guys like Tyler Myers or Hal Gill that largely have an NHL career because they are big. In VHL/STHS, I have no idea if height/weight is a factor.

4 hours ago, Ben said:

1. another season with the Wranglers of course, trying to improve my game further and become the two-way forward Calgary deserves.

2. Since we have a bunch of TPE addicted competitive players in our squad, Ricer will have to juggle around with the cap. We have seen the likes of Seattle and Moscow let go Veteran players to make cap space for their prospects (or at all for that matter).

3. Yes and no. Yes, because the principles remain the same. No because you do not have to deal with cap in the E plus you only have to adjust to a limited amount of build as the players are all between 200-400 TPE and the variations are more limited than in the VHL.

4. Probably the former as GMing in the VHLM is more about retention whereas the AGM has more insight in GMing a VHL Franchise (unless they are only used for doing the PC).

5. I am cross dominant which is only a minority of people (cross dominant in this context means that I hold the gun with my right, dominant hand but aim with my left dominant eye).

6. not as much as NA scouts still seem to believe. One of the highest scoring players in my club is 168cm and 67kg (5'6'' and 148lbs for you imperialists out there). You just cannot afford to be slow if you are somewhat short and lightweight.

Winning more games, improving as a player after getting hit heavily by the depreciation.

I think welfare players and their contracts should be ok to terminate without any penalty. That would help potential cap problems some teams may face.

Depends a little. I assume rebuilding or building a roster is different thing in VHL and VHLE. Winning is the only thing that matters in VHL, maybe VHLE is still seen as a learning league for players and users. More emphasis on locker rooms, etc.

Similar answer as above. The experience is not as important as the thoughts/ideas the potential GM might have in regards running a team.

I wear hats when I take a shower.

Depends on the role and hockey IQ. You need to have nice balance, otherwise I think you might get bullied in the playoffs.

Our respective teams are both eliminated, but I think we had great seasons and can build upon S84.

It obviously has some effect, as there are a couple of GM's that would do whatever possible to create a super team. They can't do that, so hahaha.

Unsure to be honest. I've never felt the urge to be a GM so my opinion is worthless on the subject.

Neither. I'd go for someone with zero experience but with an excellent attitude. Who cares if you go winless?

I'm a very handsome and rugged man.

6. How much do you believe size matters, in hockey?

Fake Hockey, nothing. Real Hockey, it would depend on what position etc, but yes I think it would have some influence.

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

week ending 8/28

1. The playoffs are almost over, do you feel the VHL should adjust the playoff format, if so how?

2.  What would you say the VHL could add that would enhance the sim hockey experience?

3. Would you rather get a GM job on a team that’s really good that already is competitive and has a winning history, or a rebuilding team you need to rebuild?

4. With fall falling upon us what do you look forward to in the new season?

5. Do you know any other languages besides your main language?

6. Tell us who your favorite NHL team is and why?

On 8/14/2022 at 8:47 PM, Ben said:

1. Another run at the cup! I think we just hit a snag this season. We deserved better.

2. It definitely affects some teams. It stops people from all banding together to join one team, that's for sure.

3. Yes. VHLE is a stepping stone. Obviously VHL is a whole other ball game, but starting out in a lower tier will always help, especially getting a swing of sending in lines, getting offers, etc.

4. Honestly I'd interview both parties and take the interview process seriously. Both have an equal chance.

5. I used to be so good at EA NHL that I'd get invited to the play tests regularly. Used to be a top ranked player years ago. I used to play a ton in the NHL10-14 days. I still play a lot, but stick to EASHL when I do play.

6. It used to matter a lot, but it doesn't matter as much these days. With how often boarding, blind sided hits, instigating, etc are called, it's less of a factor. A really good skating ability like Johnny Gaudreau, Cale Makar, or Quinn Hughes takes you really far. Even a small guy like Elias Pettersson has a ton of success.

1. The playoffs are almost over, do you feel the VHL should adjust the playoff format, if so how?

Make the regular season go by faster. 

2.  What would you say the VHL could add that would enhance the sim hockey experience?

Make a 15 second TikTok dance video be worth a 500-word/graphic point task.

3. Would you rather get a GM job on a team that’s really good that already is competitive and has a winning history, or a rebuilding team you need to rebuild?

Somewhere in the middle. Rebuilding is boring, not enough active players to make the negative feelings be worth it.

Snow and cold weather.

I can wave my middle finger in the air

I do not have one. I follow Finnish players and maybe some general NHL stories from the news.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:49 PM, Ben said:

week ending 8/28

1. I think the playoffs are about the right length, I don't think a change is needed.

2. This one is a pipe dream for the VHL, but one of my favourite things about the PBE is that with OOTP as our sim engine we get to actually "watch" the games play out instead of just seeing a text summary of the game.

3. Rebuild

4. My player getting back on to the Calgary Wranglers!

5. No, unfortunately. English is my first and only fluent language. I know a tiny bit of French, but not enough to have a meaningful conversation.

6. Vancouver Canucks as they are my nearest team, and my Dad was also a supporter.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:49 PM, Ben said:

week ending 8/28

1. Honestly, I don't care what the format is. If you win, you win. If you can't get past a team, then you don't deserve to win. Plus, this is a simulation. It's not like an extra round or something is going to affect your team. There's no stamina or injuries to hinder you. It's just on to the next one.

2. Make my team win more championships.

3. I'd rather rebuild a team as my own. Knowing you brought them all together and having them click just means more. If you're a new GM that inherited a team and won a championship, did you really earn that? Maybe, but I'd rather just build my own.

4. Another run at the cup.

5. I know a bit of French from Elementary/High School, and some pieces of Ukrainian from my grandmother. Nothing crazy, just little sentences and different foods, mostly. Greetings, etc.

6. Vancouver Canucks. I live there. The New Jersey Devils are always my #2 team though. They're what originally got me into hockey when they were winning championships with Martin Brodeur, Patrik Elias, etc. Then around 2000 I started following my home town team, the Canucks, at the start of that Naslund/Morrison/Bertuzzi era.

Week ending 9/4

So Excited Flirting GIF

1. We have added some new piece from the draft what are your thoughts?

2. How much of a effect do you believe free agency has in the VHL.

3. What are your thoughts on all of the open GMing positions we have seen this season?

4. Are you in the Calgary fantasy football league, if so do you believe you will win?

5. Do you coke or bake is so what?

6.  Does the VHL have a burnout problem?

Good picks. The first round picks have the potential to be valuable players, but the 4th round pick might be more of a wildcard, they do not have the potential yet, but who knows, they might turn it around?

I am sure it has some effect, but not enough if only so many teams have the cap space. It should be easier to drop welfare players and their contracts, so we get proper bidding wars and maybe even more trades as teams try to make moves.

3. What are your thoughts on all of the open GMing positions we have seen this season?

I don't know really, is there more openings than usually?

4. Are you in the Calgary fantasy football league, if so do you believe you will win?

Noh, I do not know anything about football.

I eat carrots.

Yes, maybe, no.

On 8/28/2022 at 6:34 PM, Ben said:

Week ending 9/4

So Excited Flirting GIF

1. You can never have enough players named Justice.

2. Quite a bit, but the salary cap is also a part of that.

3. Not sure if it's coincidence, or if there is something going on behind the scenes that is making people want to quit.

4. I am, and DollarAndADream is going to win for sure, based on the fact that he hasn't made a single pick yet.

5. I make a lot of homemade pizza. I used to also make a lot of beer.

6. I'm not sure... it's not my primary sim league, so I have never given full effort to this one. I will say that I am starting to get burned out on sim leagues in general.

Us Open Tennis Sport GIF by US Open
Week ending (9/11)

1. The VHL 15th birthday raffle winners should be announced by the time most of you answer this, so did you win anything?

2.  Do you think the VHL could/should add a stamina stat and stop it from automatically being 99?

3. What is a old VHL team/brand that you would like to see come back?

4. Do you think the VHL should add more ways to earn TPE

5. If your a gm would you rather draft a play that has a lot of TPE but didn’t perform well in the VHLE/M, or a player that performed really well in the minors but doesn’t earn much TPE?

6. How did you spend your Labor Day, if it’s celebrated in your country?

7. What is your process for picking predictions for the VHL each season?

11 hours ago, Ben said:

Week ending (9/11)

1. The VHL 15th birthday raffle winners should be announced by the time most of you answer this, so did you win anything?

2.  Do you think the VHL could/should add a stamina stat and stop it from automatically being 99?

5. If your a gm would you rather draft a play that has a lot of TPE but didn’t perform well in the VHLE/M, or a player that performed really well in the minors but doesn’t earn much TPE?

1. Don't think so, but I also don't think I entered.

2. The league would probably need to condense a whole bunch, right now it seems like most teams only have 10 skaters.

3. Quebec City, because they've lost an NHL team and a VHL team.

4. One more "easy" 2 point task would treat me right, since I don't really do tasks for VHL, on weeks where I don't have an affiliate task from PBE to claim I usually miss out on 2 points.

5. TPE is probably king, performance is luck based (unless their build is whack).

6. Haven't done much so far, but might go fishing for a few hours with my kids despite the terrible weather.

7. I look at what other people are doing and shamelessly copy it.

Noh, nothing. I have no luck in anything. I win if others have bad luck.

That would be nice, maybe then we can see more of an effort to favor the active players over welfare players as the active ones would be even more valuable.

I say Quebec as well.

I think TikTok should be utilized more. And why not other forums/platforms. As long as the piece somehow mentions VHL, and includes a link, I think those pieces would be valuable in promoting the place and also fun ways to earn TPE.

Depends on the build, but the TPE earner has higher potential, so I would pick them.

Not celebrated here, I think.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:57 PM, Ben said:

Week ending (9/11)

Rigged rigg rigged rigggeed rig

No or we would need more players / multis

Don't care much for the past, time for the future is vital and we need to keep changing to evolve into another beast that the night can whisk away

Of course, I feel like I'm trapped in a box

No comment, everybody likes to do it their own way and you don't have to stick with the same brain waves

On 9/4/2022 at 11:57 PM, Ben said:

The same as I spend everyday, bored and lonely.. Thankfully I have the VHL 

Go with your gut and make sure you know a few things about the league

On 9/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, Ben said:

Week ending (9/11)

1. Nothing besides being a part of this great community.

2. If teams have enough players, then yes. It will stop teams from using their top guy on every single line.

3. Quebec City Meute was a fun team to be on, although it changed to Vancouver Wolves because of the name's history.

4. Sure, why not. Always nice to have options.

5. More TPE.

6. I was camping!

Week ending 9/18Lets Go GIF

1. The VHL season is underway, your thoughts?

2. NFL season up starting up again are you watching?

3. What is a player in the VHLM or E you can’t wait to see in the big leagues 

4. What is your favorite VHLM team

5. Who is your favorite VHL player besides yours?

6. What VHL “era” do you think was the best and why?

Nice to get the season rolling, I have been waiting for a long time!

Naah, not really. I am not a follower of the sport.

From E, players like Charles Williams and Black MacTavish, we need more forwards who are willing to throw their body around, we need more hitters.

Houston maybe, I like the logo

I don't have any. I only follow my player. I only care about my player.

I only remember the Meta era, so I will say the Meta era

Edited by jRuutu

On 9/12/2022 at 7:37 PM, Ben said:

1. It is. Are we doing good? I don't know! I think we're doing okay. A little above .500 I think?

2. I'm not a huge NFL. I'm in Wranglers fantasy, but barely pay attention. I used to be into it more, but I watch hockey, baseball, soccer, curling, and Canadian football more than I watch NFL.

3. Ty Justice because the only thing better than Justice is Double Justice.

4. I've got a soft spot for Saskatoon because I played for them with one of my players, and also my mom and her family are originally from Saskatoon.

5. Whatever Phil's current player is, Phil is a fucking beauty.

6. I've only been around since S75, but the league seems like it's in an okay spot right now.

On 9/12/2022 at 7:37 PM, Ben said:

1. We've been decent. Could be better for sure. We'll turn it around.

2. I've watched a little. Some Seahawks, some Broncos, some Chiefs and Buccs.

3. Probably someone like MacTavish.

4. Ottawa Lynx. It's the first ever team that I played for on VHLForum.com.

5. Any of my teammates.

6. I'll say the era that Toronto Legion won 3 in a row, because I was on that team. Lmao