My Random VHL Thoughts Part 3 or 4 or something.

Another week, another set of rambling, yet coherent thoughts about the VHL

• There's been a lot of discussion about the lottery. Yes, I do believe it's broken in its current form. I think the best solution would be to only make the posts in your own game threads count towards the lottery, but someone in the BoG brought up a good point that that would put a lot of stress/work on the lottery manager, as they'd be responsible for knowing which members are on which teams. This would have been much easier back in the day when everyone was assigned a group for the locker rooms, but obviously we/the site doesn't do that anymore.
  • Posting for TPE - This is something I have to get off my rocker and complain about. I feel that there is a sizable contingent of the member base that only posts on the site for TPE and nothing else. Discord is probably a leading culprit of this as well, but no one posts on the forum anymore to just talk. Just look through the Best VHL Moments threads and see how many of them from long time members are just about weird things that were posted on the site. With Discord, you lose that, because if you're not there in the moment, then it's gone forever.

17 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

Just look through the Best VHL Moments threads and see how many of them from long time members are just about weird things that were posted on the site. With Discord, you lose that, because if you're not there in the moment, then it's gone forever.

FACT. TRUTH. #Gritty4Glory

#BringBackBitchin'Threads

Discord is where all the random chat happens now. If your not there I can see how you would think that it's boring. It's just a natural progression and amazing retention tool.

• Commissioner
14 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Discord is where all the random chat happens now. If your not there I can see how you would think that it's boring. It's just a natural progression and amazing retention tool.

I don’t think his claim is really that discord is all bad but he does have a point that it’s not retained. Back in the day if something entertaining was going down but you missed it the topic was still there next time you came around and you could still enjoy it. If all that stuff happens on discord it immediately gets buried and lost. Even if you do go back and find it then try to join in on the conversation it’s long dead and people have moved on.

Discord has its uses but I do personally agree that I think it has done a lot of what I was afraid it would do: killed board activity. It’s a great resource for quickly asking questions and stuff but destroys the concept of long-standing discussion.

22 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

If you're not around 24/7 you miss discussion. If it was all (or even primarily) on the boards, you can check up on what was missed.

You can still check what you missed by scrolling up or using the search bar at the top

Just now, DilIsPickle said:

You can still check what you missed by scrolling up or using the search bar at the top

The conversation is done though. On the forum, you can quote the post and the other party or someone can reply. On Discord...what am I going to do, interrupt the current conversation to bring something up that happened a day or two ago? 

3 hours ago, flyersfan1453 said:

The conversation is done though. On the forum, you can quote the post and the other party or someone can reply. On Discord...what am I going to do, interrupt the current conversation to bring something up that happened a day or two ago? 

I mean, if the conversation is done... it's done? 

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

I mean, if the conversation is done... it's done? 

I guess it’s  just kinda a different mindset. Now people seem to look at it that way that a conversation happens only in the now.

However a lot of us remember a time before Discord where conversations could only happen on the board, exactly as we’re doing now. So sometimes responses would hours or days. Same as how you responded to @flyersfan1453 from 4 hours ago. If this was a discord conversation it just would have gone nowhere because people can’t be on 24/7.

There’s obviously benefits and drawbacks to both but I definitely like being able to join in even if I’m a few hours late to the party.

4 hours ago, DilIsPickle said:

How

Sorry, no time to reply. Too busy scrolling through 9 hours of old conversations to see what you guys were talking about. Oh nevermind, it's mostly guys instructing the bot to display their player page. 

Everyone has an opinion which is great, but mine is that it's pretty much killed the team LR as a functioning thing on this board. May as well remove them altogether.