Anton Edvin - career VHLM-er and unsung hero

studentized

If there were a VHLM hall of fame, Anton Edvin @caltroit_red_flames would deserve to be in. S69 is now his 7th season in the VHLM and 6th consecutive with the Halifax 21sts. He holds the record for games played, goals, assists, and game winners for the team. Moreover, he might even hold these same records for the VHLM league as a whole (he does in my data set, but that only goes back to S60). While never quite getting a founders cup with Halifax (although there is still time), Edvin did get one his rookie season with Saskatoon in S63. His resume in the VHLM is as impressive as it gets even though he's never taken home a piece of personal hardware. His stat output has remained fairly consistent over the years playing 3rd line minutes for Halifax and I would personally love him to get another season or two there to keep growing his records; regression might not make this feasible however. It just goes to show that some guys don't need to make the jump to the VHL to have an impactful career. Anton Edvin is the definition of that guy and a definite unsung hero for Halifax and hockey players everywhere.

204 words

1 minute ago, Nykonax said:

he shouldn't've  been allowed to play S66 onward. He should've been released after his 3 seasons of VHLM eligibility, since you can't sign VHLM inactives as an FA

@Banackock @diamond_ace

Interesting. Thanks, Nyko, for tagging us. Well look into this but still - good, lengthy career. ?

:cheers:

8 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

he shouldn't've  been allowed to play S66 onward. He should've been released after his 3 seasons of VHLM eligibility, since you can't sign VHLM inactives as an FA

@Banackock @diamond_ace

Did not even realize this was a rule, but now makes more sense why there weren't a bunch of other guys with similar longevity.

I guess this means no S70 for Edvin after all lol.

3 hours ago, Nykonax said:

@Banackock @diamond_ace

Thing is he was in contact with Thranduil back when he managed. Nowadays idk anymore.

5 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

ya i know him but he wasnt active on forums, therefore ia

This isn't entirely correct. 

If we were going on activity on website = active member, then I have a few Saskatoon players that aren't 'active' yet have a presence elsewhere. 

Activity on the forum just means you're engaging with the community around you. If player (x) is satisfied just checking the box scores and only logging in every so often - like when he/she is traded to a different team - then so be it. That's how they want to enjoy the sim. They'll log in, claim welfare and practice, and pop off again or simply leave their build as is because it is working for them. 

1 minute ago, Peace said:

Activity on the forum just means you're engaging with the community around you. If player (x) is satisfied just checking the box scores and only logging in every so often - like when he/she is traded to a different team - then so be it. That's how they want to enjoy the sim. They'll log in, claim welfare and practice, and pop off again or simply leave their build as is because it is working for them. 

no, isnt the inactive rule like 30 days without a post on the forums.

1 minute ago, Peace said:

No. 

30 days without updating their player and no contact. 

* - a player is deemed to be inactive if they haven't posted in 30 days or more

from vhl rules, maybe it's changed though since those are updated, either way he has been inactive for the past couple seasons so

5 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

* - a player is deemed to be inactive if they haven't posted in 30 days or more

from vhl rules, maybe it's changed though since those are updated, either way he has been inactive for the past couple seasons so

They keyword there is deemed. The way I interpret this is that of a time frame - a guide line to what is officially considered 'inactive' at the VHL level, it's basically saying that after 30 days they're 'considered inactive' assuming they've completely dropped out of contact with everyone. For the VHL, or at least at the VHL level of play, this rule governs what is classified as an inactive or active player. In the VHLM, it's actually just two weeks now, or even shorter now (seven days) if they never updated their player.  

You were a VHLM GM, dude, you should know that even if a player isn't posting on the website, but has a presence on the VHL or VHLM discord (either a locker room or the official Discord) they're not truly 'inactive' in the sense if they're eligible to be released or not. Now, admittedly, this is pretty much a topic restricted to players who wish to be a career VHLM players and stop updating or posting after they've reached the build they want. 

If a player is in your Discord and posting there, he's not inactive, even though it's been over 30 days since he posted on the website. He's just not active on the forum, and frankly the addition of Discord LRs and the official Discord hasn't really been implemented in the rule book... and I honestly don't think they should be, either. Edvin was 'active' in the sense he replied to Discord messages and posted in Halifax's DLR every once and a while. 

Saskatoon has a few players that are doing that this season despite periods of inactivity on the forum, like McDagg and DeYeeto (who's stopped updating at 250 because he wants to be a career VHLM defender now, but still replied to PMs here on the forum). DeYeeto isn't inactive, even though he'll go 30 days without really posting, because he's a player who likes to check the box score and see how he is doing. Yet he's replied to every PM I've sent him. 

So... *shrug*

21 hours ago, Nykonax said:

ya i know him but he wasnt active on forums, therefore ia

If he appears on the forum enough to manually accept the contract (and anything beyond the initial 3 seasons he has to do so) he's viable as far as I'm concerned. He is not required to post anything himself. You've brought up Edvin before and I haven't done anything... wonder why that is? Maybe, just maybe, it's because I found no wrongdoing?

https://vhlforum.com/topic/69203-s68-s64-rw-anton-edvin/ for example, this post couldn't exist in its current form if Edvin had not come on to accept it. The first bit, sure, but it only repeats itself if it's been accepted.

8 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

If he appears on the forum enough to manually accept the contract (and anything beyond the initial 3 seasons he has to do so) he's viable as far as I'm concerned. He is not required to post anything himself. You've brought up Edvin before and I haven't done anything... wonder why that is? Maybe, just maybe, it's because I found no wrongdoing?

https://vhlforum.com/topic/69203-s68-s64-rw-anton-edvin/ for example, this post couldn't exist in its current form if Edvin had not come on to accept it. The first bit, sure, but it only repeats itself if it's been accepted.

I didnt know if you saw what I said to you. I saw that contract post but didnt know if it meant he accepted, just said Halifax sent an offer. If you haven't found any wrongdoing then great. I'll drop it and we can all appreciate his dedication to the vhlm :)

2 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

I didnt know if you saw what I said to you. I saw that contract post but didnt know if it meant he accepted, just said Halifax sent an offer. If you haven't found any wrongdoing then great. I'll drop it and we can all appreciate his dedication to the vhlm :)

Yeah the part where it repeats the first message in a reply, it looks weird externally but that means he accepted