San Diego Marlins Press Conference

Oatex

1. Are you excited for the draft?

2. What is your game plan, going into this season?

3. What attribute(s)  are you going to try to make your player become better at this season?

4. Is your player going to be better or worse this year?

5. Are you excited to be back to playing soon?

6. What are going to work on the most, to help you improve, this season?

FUN QUESTION: Who’s is your favorite hockey player? (Not Required)

23 minutes ago, Alex Bridge said:

• Am i excited for the draft? That’s an understatement, I am extremely excited. I can’t wait to get drafted and start my career.

• I want to play at the best of my ability, get all of the TPE opportunities as I can. 

3. What attribute(s)  are you going to try to make your player become better at this season?

• I want my face offs to be the best and I want to have a good shooting attributes. 

• Definitely better, every year there is going to have a lot of improving to be made 

• Definitely, I miss playing already and it’s been like a week or two.

• My faceoffs and shooting on want to increase my speed.

FUN QUESTION: Who’s is your favorite hockey player? (Not Required)

•Trocheck and Crosby 

Im Stoked, i’m super excited to see who I get drafted to, and I can guarantee them I will be great!

I think it’s to be the point maker on the team, put pucks in the net, and help teammates do the same.

Puck Handling ,Skating, Faceoffs, and defense.

Better, for sure, I had a rough first year, point wise, and that’s gunna change.

I’m super excited, i’ve been bored not being able to play the past week or two.

I’m going to try to become a better leader, i the locker room  and on the ice.

Eichel/Ristolainen

Of course, I think its one of the main highlights of your career to see what team thinks you're worth their time. It's a ton of fun.

Score goals, develop as player, maybe get a bit better at golf this off-season haha.

I definitely want to make sure I get better at putting that puck in the net, but also making sure I can be a leader in the locker room is something I need to develop. 

Better... waaaayy better. I got off to way too slow of a start last season, time to prove my worth.

Oh of course, the off season is fun and all but nothing beats getting out there and playing some games.

I want to make sure I can really pick those corners so definitely my scoring and then leadership is something I hope to learn this year as well.

Ilya Bryzgolov hands down no questions asked. 

1. Are you excited for the draft? - I guess you can say I was counting down the days, yeah. I was working hard towards showing teams how ready I was to help bring them a championship. I'm very grateful that San Diego believed in me enough to take me in the first round, now I have a season to prove that they made the right call. 

2. What is your game plan, going into this season? - I'm going to do everything I can to bring a Founder's Cup to San Diego, which means immediately working to improve weak areas of my game. I spent the off-season working on my passing, and I'm really pleased with how that went. Now my next project is working on my puck handling, with my goal to have that under control in time for the start of the season. 

3. What attribute(s)  are you going to try to make your player become better at this season? - As I mentioned, puck handling is my focus at the moment. Once that happens, it'll be time to start honing the skills I've already developed, like goal scoring and checking. 

4. Is your player going to be better or worse this year? - I'm going to be better than ever. If IR is to be believed, I'm going to be part of a lethal top line that's going to take the VHLM by storm. I've put the work in to improve, now it's time for me to produce the results on the ice. 

5. Are you excited to be back to playing soon? - I think that goes without saying. I've finally got my new home, met my new teammates... all that's left to do is go win with them!

6. What are going to work on the most, to help you improve, this season? - I was pretty unhappy about how I could benefit from chances my teammates in Halifax could create, but I couldn't set them up in return. I've worked really hard to improve my technique and awareness in those situations so that if I can't finish the play, I can set up a teammate to do so. Sometimes, it's not about scoring the goal yourself, but creating the opportunity for someone else, and I know I'll get plenty of opportunities to do both this season. 

FUN QUESTION: Who’s is your favorite hockey player? (Not Required) - My current favorite is Sean Couturier, before he became a stud offensively he was a guy who excelled at doing the little things. Great defensive player, penalty killer, won a lot of faceoffs, he could do it all except score. But now he's scored 30+ goals two years in a row, he's really become a do-it-all player for the Flyers. If we're talking all-time favorite, it's got to be Simon Gagne for me. Lethal sniper and he just always seemed to come through for Philly when it mattered the most. A lot of my best Flyers memories growing up involved Simon, I really miss watching him play. 

Well I was, then I got drafted by SDM

Score goals and win a cup here

Defense and faceoffs, gotta play 2 ways

Hopefully better, I'll be getting more minutes

Very, I want to do well asap

Strength and faceoffs, need to be strong on the puck, last season I was losing it a lot

Yes I was.  Drafted and then was traded here which looks like a better place to be. 

Score goals and win consecutive cups. 

3. What attribute(s) are you going to try to make your player become better at this season?

The two to focus on are scoring and passing.  I'm more of an offence first type player 

Better as I barely played last season so this year should be better. 

Yes I can't wait and as a cup champion I've had a shorter offseason but can't wait to hit the ice. 

Probably passing.  My passing is crap right now and I'm afraid it will lead to too many turnovers or else ill let someone else handle the puck and get into shooting positions. 

FUN QUESTION: Who’s is your favorite hockey player? (Not Required)

John Tavares as I know his aunt and uncle as their are my parents friends.  

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

1. Season 70 is now underway. How well do you think we did in the first sim?

2. What are your personal statistical goals for this season?

3. We currently sit in fourth place. Do you think that is an accurate position of where we will be at the end of the season?

4. Which VHLer do you hope to model your game after?

5. Who has been the biggest locker room presence thus far?

6. We recently acquired King Kruul via trade. What will his impact be on the team?

2 minutes ago, fever95 said:

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

I think it was an overall good sim, mightve been a bit better if we had been able to get the edge on Ottawa but overall still a good sim

I'd like to have 50 goals

3. We currently sit in fourth place. Do you think that is an accurate position of where we will be at the end of the season?

Absolutely not, I think we'll finish either first or second.

I strive to be my own player, not a copy paste of someone else

I dunno everyone is fairly talkative, I couldnt really point out one person.

6. We recently acquired King Kruul via trade. What will his impact be on the team?

Better defense for sure, I think it was a very smart move.

• Commissioner

The team did alright, some sloppy defensive play in a couple of games but also some outstanding offense. I'll take the 6 point game I had :P

Philliefan, he's an absolute heavy weight and solid on both side of the puck. He's managed to pull hardware for both his offensive and defensive contributions.

Well he's going to have a huge impact to me because he's going on the first pairing with me. Hopefully that sparks some more confidence for the rest of the team.

1. Season 70 is now underway. How well do you think we did in the first sim? - I thought it went very well. Our offense showed what it's capable of and that we're going to be a force to be reckoned with. There's still some rough spots to iron out, but things could have gone far worse. 

2. What are your personal statistical goals for this season? - I've stated before that I hope to get 30 goals and over 300 hits. With three goals in the first five games and a VHLM-leading 24 hits, I'm on track so far. 

3. We currently sit in fourth place. Do you think that is an accurate position of where we will be at the end of the season? - Not at all. We're sitting one point behind third place with only having played five games while the top teams have played six. If that shootout against Ottawa goes our way, we're in third place with a game in hand. Nothing to worry about. 

4. Which VHLer do you hope to model your game after? - Trying to be someone else never got me anywhere in life, so that's how I'm going to approach making the VHL. I've got to play my game, not someone else's. 

5. Who has been the biggest locker room presence thus far? - We've got a pretty active group, a good bunch. It's hard to say one is a bigger influence than the other when the whole place is buzzing. 

6. We recently acquired King Kruul via trade. What will his impact be on the team? - Tremendous. I played with Kruul last season on Halifax and he is a valuable asset on the blue line. He was second in the VHLM in hits and he'll make a great pairing with Roque Davis. Our defensive group is in really nice shape with his addition. 

On 1/6/2020 at 3:47 PM, Alex Bridge said:

I was excited and I got drafted to a great team and I'm very excited to see how I will improve this season.

My game plan is to get my passing up to max so I can get a lot of assists to help out my team.

I'm gonna work on passing and skating and scoring and strength to try to make my player as close as possible to Shea Weber.

My player will definitely get better as my player will not receive depreciation and I will be as active as I can to try to get as much tpe as possible.

Yes I am very excited to get better at VHL and to learn more things about getting better and earning tpe.

I will mainly work on passing but I also think scoring and strength are equally important so I don't really know.

Victor Hedman

On 1/24/2020 at 4:14 PM, fever95 said:

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

1. Happy! We didnt have much early season rust. We did what we needed to do.

2. I want to hit and maybe score 5 goals. Love maybe 40 assists.

3. No. I expect us to improve.

4. Sorry, i'm not paying attention there.

5. Everyone really. We are locked in.  IR is helping me regain my focus.

6. Never heard of him.  Who is he? I hope he can help me out on defense. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:14 PM, fever95 said:

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

1. The fist sim was good, I got 2 assists and we won. The only thing is, I am doing what I did last season and not scoring. It is very early in the season so I am not to worried.

2. I definitely want to get finish with more points than my rookie season. What I really want is to get way more goals but also be consistent with assists.

3. I definitely think we will end high in the standings. We have a good team and we all work well together. There is going to be a lot more improvements as the year goes on. 

4. I personally don’t know any VHL players. I am one season deep into the league.

5. The SD Marlins locker room is very active. More days than others but it is really fun and active. Everyone is basically active.

6. I don’t know who that is, but I am hoping that he is good and does an amazing job for us this year. I don’t have any doubt that he will fit in with all of us. 

We did well in the first sim.  I believe we went 3-1-1 which is a good start to have only one regulation loss. 

I'd like to get to 50 goals this season.  So far that goal looks achievable 

No I think we can improve as we have a great active group who will grow together.  We also recently acquired a d and we just got a new goalie today so I think we can rise as those were our weaknesses 

I'd say the ideal would be Dan wilisnky as he's currently the top rw but I won't earn that much tpe.  With that in mind maybe Dan Baillie in Moscow who has had a great career but never been a league leader 

I am not sure we have a lot of active players.  I will say it's not me though as I don't talk as much as others 

6. We recently acquired King Kruul via trade. What will his impact be on the team?

It will have a big impact as it fulfilled a need.   Now that we have a new goalie I think Kruul impact will be even grater with the improved goaltender 

On 1/24/2020 at 3:14 PM, fever95 said:

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

I think we did decent.

I want to score at least 5.

I predict we'll finish in 2nd

I guess Rauno Paulo

Roque Davis

I think he will be a big piece on the blue line.

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

1. The season is now 15 games old and we sit in 5th place (tied for 3rd). What can we do to improve our standing?

2. We have 4 of the top 10 point scorers in the VHLM. Does this come as a surprise or as expected?

3. The top five +/- leaders are all Marlins. What does this say about our 5 on 5 play?

4. What has been our biggest strength so far?

5. What has been our most glaring weakness so far?

6. What is your prediction for our end of season standing/point total?

9 hours ago, fever95 said:

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

1. The season is now 15 games old and we sit in 5th place (tied for 3rd). What can we do to improve our standing?

2. We have 4 of the top 10 point scorers in the VHLM. Does this come as a surprise or as expected?

3. The top five +/- leaders are all Marlins. What does this say about our 5 on 5 play?

1. We are doing great, we need to keep it up. We need set lines and good defense and I think we will be good.

2. It is a surprise for me only because I don’t know to many players and we were not that good last year, but now that we have good players I do expect it. 

3.  We have amazing defense and know how to work as a team. I think we have good chemistry all together. 

4. Scoring I think we have been good at, and defense. 

5. I don’t think we have a weakness so far. We just need to play as a team. 

6. I think we will finish 3rd or better. We will have the best scoring guys and the top defenders. 

14 hours ago, fever95 said:

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

Keep our foot on the pedal all game not just take the lead and try to coast. We aren't playing full 60 minute hockey.

Fairly expected if Im honest, we have such a deep lineup right now it's disgusting.

It means we outright dominate, when we have our top 2 lines out there.

Uh everything has been a strength look at this team. 

We can't put bloody games away. We take our own skill for granted.

I hope we can turn this around and still claim 1st, but I think 2nd is a more realistic goal.

• Commissioner

It just goes to show we play a strong and responsible defensive game but also that our offense isn't relying on special teams.

Goaltending at the start of the season was definitely our biggest weakness, with acquiring Grimaldi we've addressed our concerns and it's starting to show.

I think we can push for first or second based on our last few games. Our start was not representative of how the rest of the season is going to go.

Edited by Josh

Play better defense, we have a good offense but are letting in too many goals

Not really, a couple capped players will do that

Our goal differential is good, but we just arent getting lucky

Scoring for sure, highest in the league

Goaltending, we have the most GA of all the top teams

Second place, like 100 points maybe

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

1. Minnesota has now moved ahead of Ottawa in the standings with us and Houston close on their tails. How do you think the top four places in the standings will play out?

2. We just had a big win over Ottawa. What did that victory mean to you and the team?

3. Kyl Oferson has been on fire lately for us, tied for the league lead in points at 60 and goals at 31. How do you feel about his shot at winning league MVP?

4. Who has been the Marlins’ unsung hero up to this point?

5. What is the atmosphere inside the San Diego locker room like right now?

6. Which two VHLM clubs do you think will be featured in the Founder’s Cup Final?

1 hour ago, fever95 said:

NEW QUESTIONS

Answer 6 to get 2 TPE.

1. Minnesota has now moved ahead of Ottawa in the standings with us and Houston close on their tails. How do you think the top four places in the standings will play out?

2. We just had a big win over Ottawa. What did that victory mean to you and the team?

3. Kyl Oferson has been on fire lately for us, tied for the league lead in points at 60 and goals at 31. How do you feel about his shot at winning league MVP?

6. Which two VHLM clubs do you think will be featured in the Founder’s Cup Final?

1. I think this is going to be a hard fight until the very end. I think the SDM will come in first place by the last few games of the season. 

2. That was a huge win, it definitely brought the momentum up and winning is fun so winning against a team like that is a really good sign for the rest of the season. 

3. I think he has a really hight chance at MVP. I think he deserves it. Our team is high in the standings right now so theres no doubt he doesn’t win. He just needs to keep playing like he has. 

4. I don’t remember how anyone has played. 

5. It’s really fun, almost everyone is active,  always talking and hanging out. 

6. SDM and Ottawa 

1. Minnesota has now moved ahead of Ottawa in the standings with us and Houston close on their tails. How do you think the top four places in the standings will play out? - They can thank us for that one at any time. This team does love it's chocolate. 

It's hard to tell how things will shake out, but we're starting to prove that we're in this discussion. We were struggling against the other top teams, now we're finding ways to win. It's a long way to go, but I think the Marlins will end the season higher than we are now. 

2. We just had a big win over Ottawa. What did that victory mean to you and the team? - It was huge. As I said, we've been struggling against top teams, but that game showed that we as a team have bridged that gap. If we can take down Ottawa, there's no reason it can't be us to win the Founder's Cup. And that kind of confidence is huge to build on. 

3. Kyl Oferson has been on fire lately for us, tied for the league lead in points at 60 and goals at 31. How do you feel about his shot at winning league MVP? - It's no slam dunk, because there's a ton of elite talent in the VHLM and we've got more than half a season to go. But at the worst, he's the team MVP. Whenever we need a lift, chances are he's the one to provide it. He's the cog that makes it all work. His value to this team cannot be understated. 

4. Who has been the Marlins’ unsung hero up to this point? - I think it's got to be Uhtred. With all the weapons on this team, he's been very unnoticed, but he has been scoring a ton of goals too. So many defenders worry about slowing down Oferson and Uhtred has been making them pay for it all season. He's worked hard all season and he really deserves more credit than he gets. 

5. What is the atmosphere inside the San Diego locker room like right now? - We're absolutely buzzing over that big win against Ottawa, but we were already coming together before that. It was bumpy at first, but we have a great core of young men who just want to win and have fun. Everybody is each other's biggest fan and it's such a positive and fun place to be right now. 

6. Which two VHLM clubs do you think will be featured in the Founder’s Cup Final? - I firmly believe that Minnesota will reach the finals behind my buddy Jaxx Hextall's netminding and our offensive firepower will arrange a meeting with them. Either way, there's going to be a lot of suspense and drama when the playoffs roll along. 

I think Minnesota will finish at the top with the lead they have plus the goalie.  We will move up to second and then Ottawa followed by Houston. 

It was huge.  We have now proven that we can beat the big teams.  Getting grimaldi was key as we have always had a great offense but couldn't keep the puck out.  This game will give us the confidence to beat everyone including Minnesota. 

3. Kyl Oferson has been on fire lately for us, tied for the league lead in points at 60 and goals at 31. How do you feel about his shot at winning league MVP?

I believe he is definitely the heavy favourite to win it.  He's the reason that I'm having suck a great season.  He just makes everyone around him better and to me that's a vital part of an MVP.  If some just puts up points without helping out the team it's nto the same but he does both. 

I'd say Landry.   He's scored some huge goals and makes up  for my terrible play when I'm in a slump.  He also scares the crap out of the opposition which I believe gives me and the other offense first players the room to operate. 

It's amazing to be a part of the room now.  It always has been but it's always a greater atmosphere when winning.  We have a great group of players who help each other out 

I will go with us vs Minnesota and we will take them down for my second career cup.