World Cup Changes

Devise

Yeah that is how it used to be. By my calculation that would of added roughly 2-3 more players to the team that are now on Team Europe. If we did it that way we would also lose the Asians who would not have a home. The Asians make up for like 6 of the eligible players on Team World as it is. Damn Fong you started a VHL Asian movement that put a wrench into everything. :P 

Team Europe which devolved from Team Germany has been historically bad. But it was always separate from Switzerland and then UK who were popular at various times.

This is the first time we're one continent team so it'll be interesting. But I think we're still shallow enough in all positions to be considered underdogs and I suspect you'll get on the roster because of that and because GMs reward activity.

Devise post? Might as well.

not even a devise post, devise is like 3 levels ahead of you victor

IMO, you can't gate people into different countries. That's putting the world cup before the players creativity. If a guy wants his player to have a back story from a certain country and thats what will make him active, you can't avoid that.

• Admin

IMO, you can't gate people into different countries. That's putting the world cup before the players creativity. If a guy wants his player to have a back story from a certain country and thats what will make him active, you can't avoid that.

We're going to have to agree to agree on this one. #shocker

Pretty much just hashing out the reason after speaking with Higgins and Victor this decision was made. The purpose of the World Cup is a semblance of national pride, but it's mostly about fun. It's an excuse to have an off season event that is about getting players involved and together. I don't need to go over it more than Higgins did in a recent Mag article, 185 was it Higgins? 

The changes are pretty much all about altering the tournament so it could remain viable and competitive. The fact that Russia in particular no longer get it own team name has only to do with the lack of current Russian players in the league. Scandinavia has had to live with not getting their own country to represent them forever despite the fact that they have their own hockey in real life. Hell Sweden always is a medal placer in Olympic and International Hockey. The American/Canadian bias isn't even national pride in my opinion. It's the simple fact that so many people on this site are from Canada/USA and create players based on locations they may know or like. 

Are we also going to have some sort of prospect game during this time period for the vhlm noobies who can't participate?

I believe sterling mentioned doing something for the LOSERS who don't qualify.  Don't take this as fact until he formally announces something though, I'm not how much or if any specifics have been hashed out yet.  That said, I haven't been to the Blue Room or the BOG today yet.

The purpose of the World Cup is a semblance of national pride, but it's mostly about fun.

A Russian delegation with all Russians, and the rest just unnamed players. Sure we might not win, but at least it is national pride and not lumped in with a bunch of countries. So what we lose? Its all about fun! And playing for Team Russia would accomplish both

• Admin

Finally would have been starting for Russia (World) and the rules on retirement have to go and change :(

trade deadline retirements have never been eligible. This was more to lock the retirement at some point since there was the possibility that the 5 teams would pick their rosters, then mercenaries would, and then someone retired and mayhem.

I'm surprised there is as much of an issue with the changes as there seems to be. I'd be glad to play for Team Scandinavia to represent Finland, and even more proud if we won. We aren't going to win with a Team Finland, I mean Jarkko and Karsten are alright but c'mon! Team Scandinavia gives us a grouping that represents our country and remains competitive. How is this anything but an improvement? 

Team World seems like a great idea to me. People want to create from a diverse range of places sometimes, and that means you will end up with stragglers here and there. You could have them have their own team, but it would just be eliminated immediately, which doesn't sound fun to me at all. You could throw them in with another more specific team (ie. putting a Korean on Team Russia), but there is absolutely no country representation in that method. Making a larger grouping allows all of those players to come together to be both competitive and have a fair representation. Team World stands up for all of you.

The Mercs team is awesome. Those guys should be the most motivated of the whole bunch. Oh, you didn't get picked? Guess what, you can form your own damn team and take it to the assholes who didn't think you were good enough. I think that is a nice addition, and a fun storyline to follow during the Cup as well. Maybe I'm less concerned with the actual literal name of a country being represented, and more concerned with the idea of it being represented, but I can't find any faults with the changes - seems like they all benefit the players and the league.

I'm surprised there is as much of an issue with the changes as there seems to be. I'd be glad to play for Team Scandinavia to represent Finland, and even more proud if we won. We aren't going to win with a Team Finland, I mean Jarkko and Karsten are alright but c'mon! Team Scandinavia gives us a grouping that represents our country and remains competitive. How is this anything but an improvement? 

Team World seems like a great idea to me. People want to create from a diverse range of places sometimes, and that means you will end up with stragglers here and there. You could have them have their own team, but it would just be eliminated immediately, which doesn't sound fun to me at all. You could throw them in with another more specific team (ie. putting a Korean on Team Russia), but there is absolutely no country representation in that method. Making a larger grouping allows all of those players to come together to be both competitive and have a fair representation. Team World stands up for all of you.

The Mercs team is awesome. Those guys should be the most motivated of the whole bunch. Oh, you didn't get picked? Guess what, you can form your own damn team and take it to the assholes who didn't think you were good enough. I think that is a nice addition, and a fun storyline to follow during the Cup as well. Maybe I'm less concerned with the actual literal name of a country being represented, and more concerned with the idea of it being represented, but I can't find any faults with the changes - seems like they all benefit the players and the league.

Thank you! I'm alright with people criticising the idea but doing so with what at times seems to be zero understanding of why the changes were actually made frustrates me. UK and Russia were both struggling with roster sizes before this. It isn't fair to the players who play on those teams or the players who would of gotten booted out of Canada, US, Scandinavia who are active and have the TPE to deserve a shot to play in this to leave it the way it was. These changes aren't "permanent" in the sense that no Team Russia or Team UK could ever come back. They could provided we have the right player count. 

We constantly discuss changes for the best interest of stuff like this going forward in the BoG and I can say the changes made as well as looking at it for next time out are already things being discussed. Ultimately though a tournament that involves as many of the active community as possible creates a tournament more people care about/want to have fun with. 

• Commissioner

trade deadline retirements have never been eligible. This was more to lock the retirement at some point since there was the possibility that the 5 teams would pick their rosters, then mercenaries would, and then someone retired and mayhem.

I guess it's been awhile since I've looked at the rules haha. Oh well, got to hang out on the bench for Russia twice at least.