Greatest Players of All Time: An Update

Victor

• Admin

In a reasonably recent conversation or two, someone correctly flagged that my all-time greatest players lists may have a bit of bias or inaccuracies and are also a bit out of date now (even though they were published right before the VHL's dead puck era). I dispute the bias, and I think they were about as good as one man can do with all the information available from the VHL's storied history, but yes – there have been more great players retiring since S63-S64 and my opinions can change. So let's revisit the categories briefly in light of it being near the end of the league's 70th season.

Playoff performers

This is the category which would see the most change today. Three players have retired since S64 who all have a strong claim to be the best playoff performers at their position. Norris Stopko's .932 save % and back-to-back Kanou Trophies gives Wingate and Kanou a run for their money, while Mats Johnsson might just take Incognito's crown as the best defenceman to suit up in the postseason. That means goodbye to the two oldies on the list – Schneider and Labatte.

Most recently, Matt Thompson put up legendary playoff numbers. McAllister was the first great playoff hitter AND scorer; Thompson in my mind went one better, despite never being crowned playoff MVP. He slots in right between Chershenko and McAllister for me, although where that puts Stopko and Johnsson is hard to tell.

@Bushito @Quik @Beketov

Defencemen

I don't think there would be any change here, as Johnsson's playoff heroics don't quite push him over the edge with some of the weaker regular season numbers for a Hall of Famer. On reflection, Ay Ay Ron probably drops out of the honourable mentions, but no one new has yet arrived to replace him (but perhaps Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen might?).

@Quik @flyersfan1453

Goaltenders

I think the one blatant omission I made on the 5 all-time lists was not mentioning Markus King at all. The ninth-winningest goalie ever (eighth at the time as Kriketers has only just overtaken him) deserved better, although I think I can see the logic of including Sandro Clegane at tenth place instead – the younger Clegane had one less season and played for weaker teams, while also having the better playoff record. However, while my honourable mentions were intended to recognise two older goalies who are largely forgotten (Devereux and CAL G), King was clearly eleventh in my mind so should have been included there as well.

It might all be moot point now though as Norris Stopko, still active when the list was made, might just slot into tenth place now anyway. He was a bit weaker in the regular season (although still won 3 Shaws), but clearly one of the all-time greats in the playoffs so probably gets the nod as of S70.

@Kendrick @Bushito @hedgehog337

Two-way forwards

With 4 Scott Boulet Trophies, Thompson definitely enters the conversation here. His stats are eerily similar to McAllister's, at which point it becomes a question of would McAllister still beat out the more conventional top two-way forwards in Smalling and Parechkin if I compiled the list today. Depending on where you stand on this determines where Thompson places in the top 5.

@Beketov

Forwards

This is only really going to be about Thompson and Cast from the last decade, but this is also a list which I think is most subject to change purely based on the vast array of players available. I think the top 4 is set in stone, and Szatkowski is also still safe in fifth. Cast might miss out completely as he doesn't quite qualify entirely under 'stats' or 'awards', but on further thought he could also knock out either Bunclewirth or Rybak. Thompson goes in for sure and undoubtedly into section 2B (which despite the “B” is in my mind the more impressive column). I think I'd struggle to rank Thompson above Chershenko (although he may very well disagree), but he has every chance to beat out Jenkins for an unofficial 7th/8th spot all time.

@Beketov @me 

• Admin
1 minute ago, Mike said:

This article is disappointingly short for what I expected from a greatest players of all time update from Victor.  Do you even lift anymore bro?

Just a tease to keep my loyal fans happy.