NHLVE Game Threads - Day 1

Devise

INDEX

These game threads will be for the direct links and discussion of the various game day of sims. Normally we'd have more than 12 games per given game day, but given that lines were auto'd and we are just getting underway I figured I'd get in a shorter set for the first day. 

Game 1: Stockholm vs Brampton

Game 2: Ottawa vs Cologne

Game 3: Bratislava vs Vasteras

Game 4: Oslo vs Madrid

Game 5: Cologne vs Stockholm

Game 6: Ottawa vs Oslo

Game 7: Vasteras vs Bratislava

Game 8: Madrid vs Ottawa

Game 9: Oslo vs Brampton

Game 10: Cologne vs Vasteras

Game 11: Bratislava vs Stockholm

Game 12: Brampton vs Madrid

These scores and shot totals are kinda ridiculous lol. Is this the version that is used for the Commissioners tourney? Assuming you are also experimenting the settings in the new version can we expect these settings to vary through the season?

"5:17 of 1st period - Madrid Thunder goal is going for a video replay. After video review, Goal."  

That's neat, that doesn't happen in the normal sims does it?

7 minutes ago, Jubo07 said:

These scores and shot totals are kinda ridiculous lol. Is this the version that is used for the Commissioners tourney? Assuming you are also experimenting the settings in the new version can we expect these settings to vary through the season?

I'm using the newest version of the STHS engine to sim the games, but the slider settings mirror what the VHL has. To be honest with the exception of a couple of outliers 40-50 shots a game isn't that crazy. We have a pretty disparate pool of players so we shouldn't be expecting exact NHL numbers. Still, I feel like there are clear examples of games where things were more normal.

That said I don't really plan on making any slider changes mid season. STHS is a very fickle beast when it comes to testing, and you will not get a true picture of what things look like until a full season is simmed. Ultimately since PIMs weren't through the roof, I'll be looking for how goalies and overall scorers look at seasons end, in terms of total numbers. 

One thing to keep in mind is with all lines auto'd, everyone ran 2 off 2 def 1 checking, and with team strengths being what they are and this being a little more of an in depth roster set up I imagine teams will actually have cause to set their strategies, and they have more impact. Special teams being auto'd too plays a part in this. We'll just have to compare and see results as the season goes. I will say that I am however absolutely open to tweaking our slider settings for season 2, or other rules for that matter. The idea is to get a sample, and then fine tune as we need to and see if we can't make something work with this new engine. But, honestly, this is far more promising than our usual newest STHS version tests. Goalies and PIMS were always problems we had using our sliders, so the fact that a few goal outbursts (from notably way higher OVR players in most cases) is thus far the only real spike? I can live with it. 

Edited by Devise

Just now, Alex Bridges said:

what sim engine is this?

I covered that up, STHS using the newest engine version. The VHL uses the newest client but uses the old 1.1 engine. This is the 2.1 engine, where we get access to some extra stats, goal reviews and few other new things. But the slider settings we use are mirrored to VHL. I can already say for certain that I'll likely be turning Fighting slider down, given results haha. 

1 minute ago, Devise said:

I covered that up, STHS using the newest engine version. The VHL uses the newest client but uses the old 1.1 engine. This is the 2.1 engine, where we get access to some extra stats, goal reviews and few other new things. But the slider settings we use are mirrored to VHL. I can already say for certain that I'll likely be turning Fighting slider down, given results haha. 

lol, okay, thanks!

2 hours ago, solas said:

Seeing Vasteras win all of its games while I’m on another team...

f46dc464e1abb05032654d13eae7df65.gif

Vas also had probably the best success in terms of user created players getting it done too. The magic is in the air.