S71 WJC Update #3

BSFNGQm.png

Welcome back to another S71 WJC update. These series are about best players, surprises, and let downs from the most recent games. Stick around and follow us as VSN is here to be the media outlet for you and your entertainment!

Also, don’t forget to check out other cool VSN Content produced weekly for your entertainment. From lovely podcasts hosted by Berocka to stat-filled content on weekly news, history and more!

VHL Weekly | VHLM Weekly | League History | S71 WJC Team Rankings | VSN Radio

So, much hasn’t changed in terms of who is leading the pack. Team Asia has been playing magnificent hockey all tournament and it seems they just can’t stop. Team Europe has been on fire and has won the last 3 games and moved in on Asia and tied them in points. A genuine disappointment has been Team USA as they are sitting at the bottom of the standings with just 8 points in 8 games played.

Team Asia

While still being favourites, Team Asia has shown quite a bit of struggle last few games. They lost both games against Team World and going right into Medal round, this could be a huge issue for their morale. These last few games have shown that they are not a team only centered around Shaposhnikov who has been an amazing player all this tournament with 19 points in 8 games played, they also have players like Kazimir Komarov, who was outstanding against Team World, his hattrick kept Team Asia in the game until the last minute and for them, the loss was costly in terms of morale but at least Komarov might feel more comfortable coming into Medal Round.

Team Europe

Team Europe was able to catch Team Asia in standings. Both teams now have 5 wins in 8 games played and for Europe, it is a wonderful sign as the start of the tournament looked fairly grim compared to Team Asia. By winning both games against Team Canada, they have shown they can easily combat talent on other teams and they have the ability to be the dominant force of any matchup. Derek Eriksson is still getting points and has been able to showcase his growing ability to control the puck and put it in the back of the net. He currently ranks second in goals scored in all of the tournament.

Team Canada

By losing both games against Team Europe, Team Canada lost its chance at combating Asia’s dominance in this tournament. Greatest strength for them has been their ability to spread their offence around and by that make every line on their team a threat. For them, it has meant two things. One, they are heavily riding on the shoulders of Woody McPine. Two, their superstar players didn’t have a chance to heat up and take over the offence. Even though they were able to score against Team Europe, they still need to find their go-to guy who they can trust to put the puck in the net all the time. Also, it doesn’t help that Daldo has not been able to get his on-ice production up at all. Daldo had one assist in both games against Team Europe and he made 12 shots in those games with no positive results.

Team World

With 2 wins in the last 2 games against Team Asia, they have been able to make up some ground. For them, the greatest tool has been their 5 goalscorers, 5 players with at least 0.5 goals per game. It is quite sad that Aleelee Kiak was not able to contribute more to his team as the shooting percentage for him this tournament has been abysmal at best. The true positive thing here is that Zamboni Driver is still able to keep up with other top goaltenders in the tournament and will be a deciding factor for them in the medal round.

Team United States of America

Well, no, I don’t think we need to embarrass Team USA more. Their games against Team Europe and Team Canada ended giving both of the teams push to close in with Team Asia while Team USA is still at the bottom of the pack. One good thing is their ability to lay puck on the enemy net as they were able to get 48 shots against Team Canada. Unfortunately, only one goal was scored on these 48 shots. Probably the worst performance of Thomas Landry II this tournament as he finished with 14 shots, 1 shot blocked, 4 hits and a -1 rating.

It is not really certain who will be given the gold medals. For that reason, stay tuned for the medal round and wait for the next edition of WJC Update!

People mentioned: @ng1291, @Gooningitup, @DirtyDerek, @HearnNation67, @Harpskii, @Grant, @Tape-to-Tape, @Doomsday.

51 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

Even though they were able to score against Team Europe, they still need to find their go-to guy who they can trust to put the puck in the net all the time

So Killinger didn't finish third in the round robin for team Canada, or score more game winning goals than anyone else, eh?  :can: ?

Edited by Peace

9 hours ago, Peace said:

So Killinger didn't finish third in the round robin for team Canada, or score more game winning goals than anyone else, eh?  :can: ?

Killinger is good, even great, maybe amazing but you see, in my eyes, he should have done better. Considering his scoring prowess he should have been 1st in the tournament in terms of goals. 

24 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

Killinger is good, even great, maybe amazing but you see, in my eyes, he should have done better. Considering his scoring prowess he should have been 1st in the tournament in terms of goals. 

What? That’s just a flawed argument, what does any of that have to do with Canada not having a player who can put the puck in the back of the net? 

2 minutes ago, Peace said:

What? That’s just a flawed argument, what does any of that have to do with Canada not having a player who can put the puck in the back of the net? 

That is your opinion. I stand by mine. 

20 minutes ago, FrostBeard said:

That is your opinion. I stand by mine. 

Your opinion is that Canada doesn’t have anyone to put the puck in the back of the net, I tell you that Killinger was third for goals and had the most game winners, and you wanted (or rather expected him) to score more on an offence weaker than both of the teams above them?

Yeah, I’ll stick with mine, because by your measurements and weighted expectations no team had a player they could rely on to score goals. 

angry jason terry GIF

I’m out before this turns into an argument. I know these are recaps, but sometimes a little more in depth index digging is revealing. 

Edited by Peace

2 hours ago, Peace said:

Your opinion is that Canada doesn’t have anyone to put the puck in the back of the net, I tell you that Killinger was third for goals and had the most game winners, and you wanted (or rather expected him) to score more on an offence weaker than both of the teams above them?

Yeah, I’ll stick with mine, because by your measurements and weighted expectations no team had a player they could rely on to score goals. 

angry jason terry GIF

I’m out before this turns into an argument. I know these are recaps, but sometimes a little more in depth index digging is revealing. 

You should better read what I am writing as I implied that they need to find who to rely on and also, I do plenty of index digging.