Fonzi's Corner: The Saskatoon Wild

fonziGG

Napoleon Dynamite Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

:ssk:The Saskatoon Wild:ssk:

The Saskatoon Wild are the next team on the ballot for me to speak about. Personally, I've always had a good relationship with Saskatoon and their former management. Heck, the current GM of Saskatoon (@McWolf) is a former AGM of mine. I've always admired his work and he's been such a hard working person not just for this site but also for his own teams. Heck, I remember when he was heading off to DC as the AGM over there at the end of our tenure together and thinking, "Man, Halifax will never been the same". It's true to a certain degree, however I will say that his work was very refined and was incredibly trusted. Also, some irony is that now I am the AGM of DC.

First Generation players on the team:

Lucas Brandt @twists

Elijah Flynn @Underclass_Hero

King Kruul @LefLop

Bobby Wyman @Lefty_S

Erik Hjalmarsson @Erik

Alec Volchenkov** @SirRupertBarnes 

(**Special Consideration)

Let's start off with the world class prospect in Lucas Brandt. Lucas has been a superior player in the VHL in every season he's played in. Last season in Halifax, he put up a staggering 87 points in 72 games as a rookie. While that may be impressive, he also put up a huge 76 hits a game with 106 shots blocked. The American was a major piece to the Halifax pie. He was also expected to be 1st overall in the draft however had dropped to 4th overall in the draft down to Saskatoon. This season he's been a huge offensive force for a dominant Saskatoon team. He's put up an alarming 69 points with 32 goals and 37 assists in 34 games. This is highly impressive, especially for a first gen like @twists

Elijah Flynn has been quite a great depth piece for this team. He's been huge this season on the physical side of the game with 43 hits. He has the potential to be a fantastic depth piece for any team in the VHL. I've had a lot of conversations with him in the past and he's always been a phenominal athlete. @Underclass_Hero is an awesome member to bring onto any team and I know he'll do bits for Davos in the future.

King Kruul. What a dominating name and actually one of my former players. From my time with him King Kruul has been a fantastic player and leader in the locker room. He's been such a high energy guy and leader that he's the perfect player to have on any team. This season, he's put up a very staggering 57 points with 44 assists in 34 games. Whats dope about this is that he's nearly blitzing his statistics from last season in Las Vegas where he put up 57 points and 50 assists in 72 games. @LefLop is such a huge physical presence at 6'8" and 218 lbs. I can't wait to see what he does in Davos in the future.

Bobby Wyman is another brilliant player to enter the league. @Lefty_S has been such a great member for the team as well, putting up a dominating 143 hits with 42 shot blocks. He's been a great depth piece for Saskatoon for the past 2 seasons as well. While he's not scoring a lot, he's doing a lot of the right things on the ice and the dirty work for the team. Every successful team needs one of these guys and Wyman is that for Saskatoon.

Erik Hjalmarsson is another great depth piece for Saskatoon. He's been another major piece of the puzzle for Saskatoon. What makes him such a great utility player on this team is that he truly plays like a huge defensive anchor. Everyone loves a pure defensive defensemen. @Erik looks poised to be a very strong utility player for Seattle in the future.

Alec Volchenkov is another name that comes into this list, however do we count him as a first gen? In theory, he's not. However, I want to include him in this list just purely based on the fact that he went fully inactive and has just come back. Alec Volchenkov is a young center entering the league. He's been great in the faceoff circle and has been contributing physically while still being dangerous in the offensive zone. Defensively he's been a rock and what I consider him to be is a two-way forward. He's going to be a stud in the future and I have no doubts that he's going to be a fantastic prospect in the future. While he's young still and adjusting to the league, I believe he'll only get better and better as the season goes on. @SirRupertBarnes looks poised to come back as strong as ever.

Who should I cover next? Let me know in the comments.

Season 3 Hello GIF by Friends

Edited by fonziGG

47 minutes ago, McWolf said:

He is, but we traded for him recently. I think the trade wasn't done when I gave you my first-gen list.

Woof. We'll make it up to him then ;)