Thinking about VHL

Caboose30

I've been asked many many times over the past few seasons in the EFL, "What happened to you in the VHL?" or "Where did you go for the VHL?" to "Will you ever come back?" I suppose it's time to answer some of the questions for good. When I first started in the leage with @InstantRockstar taking me under his wing in San Diego I had grand visions of a future with this league. I saw a fun and interactive new community I could be apart of and in a way I am still apart of. I had a rough start with the blue team when I first joined the discord, but thats what happens when you talk politics in a public forum so @Beaviss don't know how I still remember this, but I do apologize for getting into it with you about some political stuff and getting heated about it. 

Now addressing the questions so far just to name a few people I've had @Nykonax @McWolf @Alex Bridges @InstantRockstar and many many others ask me some of the above mentioned questions. Now, I want to explain my sudden disappearance to many of you who don't understand the story. First a bit about me is that I've played hockey for 15 years, coached for 3 and reffed for 6, I nearly went professional at the age of 16/17 when I got tryout offers for the Middlesex Black Bears in Massachusetts. But all of that experience plays a factor for me when I look at this particular sim league, or more specifically its engine.

The issue was never the community here, I had found friends in @Spaz @jared among others. I was fortunate enough to get drafted to the Helsinki Titans at 17th overall. I had a bright and promising career ahead of me. But then suddenly that sort of changed as I began looking at the engine and how it was playing out. It changed as I saw the shallowness of the development in players. If i could have just excelled at defense in real life and put up 80 point seasons that would be amazing, but thats not all it takes in real life and its something that the engine does VERY poorly in replicating. In the VHL I've noticed that everyone pumps up defense like its cocaine and they cant get enough. Who needs shot accuracy or passing or skating when you just need to pump defense up as fast as you can to score?

And I saw this directly correlate in the sim when I had high scoring and skating but low defense. I wasn't getting any points, the sim basically acted as if I didn't exist. It wasn't until I got Defense up to a respectable level that the points started coming in. After a massive slump in production for no describable reason, I had flat out had enough of being jipped by a Sim Engine that clearly didn't understand what attributes should be affecting what skills and how that would translate on the ice. I saw a sim engine that only took into account one maybe two attributes that were generic catch all attributes in order to influence the sim, so I left. At that time I had found the EFL which while yes it is flawed as well, it doesn't have the same generic catch all must have attribute across every position. QB's need Int, Arm and Accuracy, WR's need Speed Hands and Agility, LB's need Strength Tackling and Speed/Hands. Whereas for the VHL whether you played Ceneter, Wing or Defense, everyone needs Defense to be successful and the rest of the attributes just seem to fall by the wayside.

Now with all that being said, I am looking at making a return to the league. Not as a forward or as on defense, but rather as a goalie. I should hope that they would be different with attributes like reflexes, rebound control, angles, depth control. As well as standard attributes like passing and skating. I would hope its more in depth than the rest given the complex nature of the position. However, I am still on the fence about this. I don't know what kind of need there is for a goalie right now, nor do I know if I even want to pick the league back up after its lackluster first impression.

For the health of this league, I do hope that the blue team has a way to address some of these clear issues for the future, with either moving to a new sim engine or upgrading the current one. Either way, something needs to get done, because there is no way Im the only one who feels like this. For all of you I know from EFL, I leave with  a resounding Go Mammoths! For the rest I bid you a good rest of your day and I hope everyone jumps in on this conversation.

Thank you,

Caboose