VHL Magazine Power Poll - End of an era?

Toast

VHL Mag Power Poll  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All good things must come to an end.

Trade Deadline retirements opened up a few days ago and we saw the surprising retirements of Sebastian Ball Jr. and Evgeny Namestnikov. We also saw the retirement that everyone knew was coming in Remy LeBeau. Trade deadline retirements are pretty frequent, but it seems following this that the Toronto Legion have something to worry about.

Prior to the season it was clear that Remy was going to retire, but Anatoli Zhumbayev also announced that it would be his last season with the team. Then adding on the retirement of Namestnikov, it seems clear that the Legion are in for a little bit of trouble once this season is done with.

Remy is the backbone of the team clearly. Without the all-star goalie things are definitely going to be tough for Toronto. Zhumbayev is one of the most talented players in the league, and you can’t just replace someone like him. Namestnikov is the kind of depth player that every team wants. He has played quite the role through his career for Toronto.

So the Legion are going to lose three big pieces to their team, so my question to you all is: should Toronto rebuild following the playoffs?

As always, give comments with your vote. Best ones get into the mag.

Yes, too many big name to overcome and it's not like they can simply trade them away for picks. They are retiring thus, they are retiring in a Legion jersey. The picks they'd trade away won't net them the same roster or even close.

I think it's an important distinction to make between have to, and should. Toronto could try to find spare parts to go with the rest of it's roster and give it one more kick at the can next season. But why would they? They won a Cup, they could get some solid assets for their rebuild with the remaining players left over and they have to believe that the team they could scrape together wouldn't be as good as the "top dogs" in the league. 

Ultimately I think Toronto should rebuild. But with Edgar as GM...who in the hell knows what happens. :P 

I think it's an important distinction to make between have to, and should. Toronto could try to find spare parts to go with the rest of it's roster and give it one more kick at the can next season. But why would they? They won a Cup, they could get some solid assets for their rebuild with the remaining players left over and they have to believe that the team they could scrape together wouldn't be as good as the "top dogs" in the league. 

Ultimately I think Toronto should rebuild. But with Edgar as GM...who in the hell knows what happens. :P

But what goaltender would they use? Moher, Szat Jr., Brookside, Wahl, Bagleface, Waldron, Salo and Olynick are not going anywhere. So they possibly get Smyl, but I don't see that happening either. That would basically be the piece they need, goaltender.