Why is my player not doing well? A guide that could help to unravel the mysteries surrounding your lackluster play.

jRuutu

29l79DW.png

We all joined VHL to build a good player, but what if all the hard work does not show in the actual sims? That is why I'm here today. I'm going to analyze a few points that could lead you to a path that has the answers.

1. I earn 12 TPE a week, but my linemates do not.
Obviously, the first thing that you should consider is whether your teammates are as good as you are. If you are in the same line with players who have no business playing with stars like yourself, their inability to perform is directly going to show on how your player performs.

People often suggest that hockey is a team sport, you need to have multiple pair of hands on the deck so to speak, but my advice to you is that do not believe that. As a 12 TPE per week user, you are better than a lot of VHL players. Don't be afraid to think that you are better. That is the core issue, in my opinion, too many users who earn 12 TPE per week are perfectly fine in sitting in the same seats and eating the same foods as the teammates who earn less every week. That type of thinking needs to change if you truly want your player to succeed in the sim.

1.1 My linemates indeed could be the reason

Some wise person once said that you should keep your friends close but enemies even closer. That statement is also true in VHL. Instead of openly blaming your linemate(s) for your poor performance, you need to do the opposite and praise them. After a positive comment or two, you should contact the GM and start looking for ways to get rid of the weak links of the line.

2. General manager keeps you down
This is a tough one as multiple factors could play into the general manager being the reason why your player is struggling. As mentioned, the obvious one is that they have you playing in the same line with players who are worse than you are. Competition for ice time could be an understandable reason for why that happens, but if you are not saying anything - is there competition? No.

The second point and most damaging one is the ''player farming''. You should consider whether your general manager is having you train a certain way just so they can trade your ass to other teams in the near future. Players with high scoring are in high demand as multiple tests done in VHL labs reportedly show that scoring is the way to go.  Is your general manager transforming you to look like the ''ideal player'' while knowing very well that the only outcome is you getting traded?

3. Playing in a team that is controlled by a veteran general manager
It's one thing to throw your sticks around and demand more ice time or better linemates if your GM is a fresh-faced rookie GM, but if your GM has been there for some time - you need to think two steps ahead.

The first step is to figure out what do you want exactly. Is it to get rid of the weaker linemate? In such a scenario you could help the general manager by scouting a few teams to find players that you like and most importantly try to find teams that could take that weaker linemate.

If you want more ice time, the way you approach the GM is important. You need to clearly state what you want. Example conversation starter could be something like this: ''Yo Mike, I played like 13 minutes last game, the fuck? Do you know how hard I train every week? If you do not have me playing at least 20 a game, I will walk after the season''.

If we analyze the example conversation starter a little bit. Calling someone with the wrong name is always a smart way to open the discussions as it signals to the other party that you are serious. Swearing and starting the conversation with ''Yo'' are not something many recommend using in a ''business'' environment, but they do carry certain weight with them, so despite the informal nature of said words and expressions, I would consider them neutral in this type of scenario. Finally, the demands with potential consequences. Fairly straightforward, if the meeting would be face to face you could throw something to the wall or walk away in a dramatic fashion to make sure the message is loud and clear.

Always make sure you have evidence to back your statements up, take a screenshot of your stats, how much TPE you earn a week, and give those to your GM.

Is your GM hard to get in touch with? Keep taking screenshots of game reports that shows how little you have played and/or how poorly your player has performed. Keep sending those screenshots until you get a reply. Activity and passion are always positives in the eyes of general managers.

4. My contract is weak
The contract you have signed can also affect how you are treated. The general manager sees your lame contract without any additional clauses in it and thinks that you are a big softy. The GM has no trouble in doing whatever, which will always shine negatively towards you.

When you are signing any contract you should always ask for no-trade clause. That way you hold all the cards and have more power when approaching the general manager about playing with weak linemates. Who are they going to trade? The weak linemate who is already weaker or you, the better player with NTC? Exactly.

TLDR.
1. The reason why your player underperforms is usually always someone else's fault. Typically your linemates and/or your general manager.

2. If you earn 12 TPE every week, you are better and you should let everyone around you know it.
3. Always plan ahead, get an NTC to every contract, even to rookie contracts.
4. Don't be afraid to approach your general manager to get better linemates. At the end of the day, it is you as a 12 TPE per week player that carries the team. Not the fans, not the sponsors, not the other players - it's you.
5. Updating scoring is a signal that you are open in getting traded. Don't listen to your general manager when it comes down to training. If they suggest you should improve scoring - you are in trouble.

(30.11 - 6.12)

(7.12 - 13.12)

Edited by jRuutu

3 hours ago, jRuutu said:

People often suggest that hockey is a team sport, you need to have multiple pair of hands on the deck so to speak, but my advice to you is that do not believe that. As a 12 TPE per week user, you are better than a lot of VHL players. Don't be afraid to think that you are better. That is the core issue, in my opinion, too many users who earn 12 TPE per week are perfectly fine in sitting in the same seats and eating the same foods as the teammates who earn less every week. That type of thinking needs to change if you truly want your player to succeed in the sim.

AMENN 🙏

Review

Based on the author I'm not sure if this is tongue-in-cheek or genuine. Regardless though the arguments are well written and organized. Even with a title image it makes the presentation look great. Keep it up, hopefully you can teach some players how to handle their negotiations with GMs! 10/10

24 minutes ago, Toast said:

Review

Based on the author I'm not sure if this is tongue-in-cheek or genuine. Regardless though the arguments are well written and organized. Even with a title image it makes the presentation look great. Keep it up, hopefully you can teach some players how to handle their negotiations with GMs! 10/10

His player is 10th in the league for scoring and is on pace for his best season yet. By John Merrick’s perspective, he’s absolute shit and should retire. 

gotcha GIF