2014 World Cup

Victor

• Admin

Have to repost my predictions from the old site here:

"It's way too early but I got some predictions stuck in my head so I wanted to note them down so I can look back in a year's time and laugh at my own foolishness.

So, the quarter-finals will feature: Germany, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Argentina, Belgium, USA, Portugal.

Dependent on match-ups in the groups and round of 16 which could cause, in my totally perfect prediction, the US, Portugal, and/or Argentina to fall out in favour of England, Ivory Coast, Japan, Russia, Nigeria, and other stuff like that. Only reason I'm even including the US is because I want to see them against Germany because of Klinsmann. If that happens before, fuck em.

And finally, the final will be some combination of Brazil, Italy, and Germany. Yeah that's right, no Spain.

Okay I have set myself up for failure quite well here."

Also, final (apart from playoffs) qualifiers today and Tuesday! England's group is tighter than uhhhh... tights?

Teams that I think stand the best chance:

Brazil/Argentina - History says that every time a World Cup has been hosted in South America, a South American team has won it. Out of the two I'd give the edge to Brazil, based on the fact that Argentina's Midfield and Goalkeeper are so-so and Brazil, while not having a Messi, have stars all over the XI.

Germany - Outside of South Americans, they've got the best chance to win it all. Bundesliga's been all the rage these past two seasons, and a lot of their starting XI will be key players from Bayern and Dortmund.

Belgium - This is my outside shot, but I think if one of the above three doesn't win, it'll be because they've brought a different approach to the game (a la Greece in Euro 2004), and I think Belgium's mix of physicality (in the form of Benteke, Lukaku and Fellaini) and skill (Hazard, De Bruyne, Mirallas) up front could bring just that

• Admin

You can never discount Spain. I don't want them to win but that didn't stop them the past three tournaments.

Anyway, England secures a top two position and Portugal draws with Israel so Russia is all but in. Belgium, Switzerland, Germany qualify. I am pleased with these results.

You can never discount Spain. I don't want them to win but that didn't stop them the past three tournaments.

Anyway, England secures a top two position and Portugal draws with Israel so Russia is all but in. Belgium, Switzerland, Germany qualify. I am pleased with these results.

Spain do have a chance, but I just feel like if they are to win it, they won't have done it via beating Brazil or Germany. If Spain are still playing the Tiki-taka, which I believe they are, then I feel they don't match up well against those two teams, but they will probably cope fine against the other teams.

As an Englishman, I'm happy with the way we played today. It felt like we controlled the game better than we have done in the past, but I will acknowledge it was Montenegro, who are pretty good, but not anywhere close to world beaters. I feel like though we've seen it as a disappointment in the past (though part of that comes with the way that we exited), we would be happy with a Quarter-Final place. 

I'll re-do my predictions here then I guess.

Qualifying Teams:

Asia - Iran*, South Korea, Japan, Australia

Africa - Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Burkina-Faso*

Europe - Belgium*, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Russia*, Bosnia & Herzegovina*, England, Spain, Croatia* (beat Iceland), Portugal (beat Turkey), Greece (beat Ukraine), France (beat Sweden)

North America - United States, Costa Rica*, Honduras, Mexico (beat New Zealand in playoff)

South America - Brazil, Argentina, Colombia*, Ecuador*, Chile, Uruguay (beat Jordan in playoff)

*=teams that didn't make it in 2010

World Cup draw (based on 2010 format):

Pot 1 (Host & Top Seven): Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Colombia, Belgium, Netherlands (Uruguay is top 7 and not Netherlands, but to make this work, I needed to flip them)

Pot 2 (Asia & North America): Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, United States

Pot 3 (Africa & South America): Burkina-Faso, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Chile, Ecuador, Uruguay

Pot 4 (Europe): Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Portugal, Russia, Switzerland

Group A

Brazil

United States

Ghana

Portugal

Group B

Germany

Japan

Ecuador

Switzerland

Group C

Colombia

Costa Rica

Cameroon

Croatia

(I swear to God I didn't intentionally have Group C be all "C" countries")

Group D

Argentina

South Korea

Burkina-Faso

England

Group E

Italy

Mexico

Uruguay

Russia

Group F

Netherlands

Iran

Chile

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Group G

Spain

Honduras

Ivory Coast

Greece

Group H

Belgium

Australia

Nigeria

France

CONT. ON NEXT POST

Group A:

Brazil over United States

Portugal over Ghana

Brazil over Portugal

Ghana and United States draw

Brazil over Ghana

Portugal and United States draw

Brazil - 9

Portugal - 4

United States - 2

Ghana - 1

Group B:

Germany over Japan

Ecuador and Switzerland draw

Germany over Switzerland

Japan and Ecuador draw

Germany over Ecuador

Switzerland over Japan

Germany - 9

Switzerland - 4

Ecuador - 2

Japan - 1

Group C:

Colombia over Costa Rica

Croatia over Cameroon

Colombia and Croatia draw

Costa Rica and Cameroon draw

Colombia and Cameroon draw

Croatia over Costa Rica

Croatia - 7

Colombia - 5

Cameroon - 2

Costa Rica - 1

Group D:

Argentina over South Korea

England over Burkina-Faso

Argentina and England draw

South Korea over Burkina-Faso

Argentina over Burkina-Faso

England and South Korea draw

Argentina - 7

England - 5

South Korea - 4

Burkina-Faso - 0

Group E:

Italy over Mexico

Uruguay and Russia draw

Italy and Russia draw

Uruguay over Mexico

Italy over Uruguay

Russia over Mexico

Italy - 7

Russia - 5

Uruguay - 4

Mexico - 0

Group F:

Netherlands over Iran

Bosnia & Herzegovina over Chile

Netherlands over Chile

Iran and Bosnia & Herzegovina draw

Netherlands and Bosnia & Herzegovina draw

Chile over Iran

Netherlands - 7

Bosnia & Herzegovina - 5

Chile - 3

Iran - 1

Group G:

Spain over Honduras

Ivory Coast and Greece draw

Spain over Greece

Honduras and Ivory Coast draw

Spain over Ivory Coast

Honduras and Greece draw

Spain - 9

Greece - 2 (on goal differential)

Ivory Coast - 2

Honduras - 2

Group H:

Belgium and France draw

Australia and Nigeria draw

Belgium over Nigeria

France over Australia

Belgium and Australia draw

France over Nigeria

France - 7

Belgium - 5

Australia - 2

Nigeria - 1

cont. on next post

Round of 16:

Brazil over Switzerland

England over Croatia (in penalties)

Italy over Bosnia & Herzegovina

Spain over Belgium

Germany over Portugal

Argentina over Colombia

Netherlands over Russia (in extra time)

France over Greece

Quarterfinals:

Brazil over England

Spain over Italy (in extra time)

Germany over Argentina

France over Netherlands

Brazil over Spain (in penalties)

Germany over France

Germany over Brazil

who wasn't on the Spain roster that matters?

Negredo and Montoya! because Arbeloa sucks! Torres is this season a little bit better but in brazil he sucks! Cesc was on the bank! and Pique gets a red card! David Silva palyed not too! here is the link!

http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/matches/round=255211/match=300222461/index.html