2014 World Cup

Victor

Italy just took a major hit. Riccardo Montolivo (AC Milan Captain) just broke his tibia in a match with England. He was one of there midfield shoe-ins.

• Admin

Italy just took a major hit. Riccardo Montolivo (AC Milan Captain) just broke his tibia in a match with England. He was one of there midfield shoe-ins.

'Twas Ireland helping us out.

Think Italy is one of the few teams which has the midfield depth to cope though.

'Twas Ireland helping us out.

Think Italy is one of the few teams which has the midfield depth to cope though.

Ireland yes, one of those countries over there on an island. They can cope, but a big loss as he is a captain material.

• Admin

Well I don't know how they rotate captaincy since usually it's Buffon and he wasn't playing.

Judging by reactions, he's not a huge loss as a player and I have to agree. Pirlo and De Rossi would appear to be the only midfielders certain of a spot - the third slot is pretty competitive with Marchisio, Motta, and Verratti, etc.

Essentially, this will not stop England from losing to them.

Well I don't know how they rotate captaincy since usually it's Buffon and he wasn't playing.

Judging by reactions, he's not a huge loss as a player and I have to agree. Pirlo and De Rossi would appear to be the only midfielders certain of a spot - the third slot is pretty competitive with Marchisio, Motta, and Verratti, etc.

Essentially, this will not stop England from losing to them.

True, when it came to captaincy though I always thought it was Cambiasso or Zambrono? Maybe that was just for some games in Euro. Because like you said Buffon is usually the skipper (and a damn good one at that). I like many have never been a huge fan of Italy, I dated a girl who was Italian and her father was always bugging me about how Italy always beats DFB. I liked the guy (because I had too), but it was funny always getting ragged on by him.

• Admin

Cambiasso is (he might be retired) Argentinian. I don't even know the second name haha.

I feel unattached to any international team permanently since Latvia never achieved anything (bar a 0-0 draww with Germany at Euro 2004!!!) and I'm not English (though I do like seeing them so well, it's also really fun to laugh at them. Usually with other English people). But as it stands I do actually like Italy, since the last Euros. No idea for how long, Germany was my bandwagon team for very long but I've just become disillusioned with Loew's style.

/lifestory

Sorry I didn't mean Cambiasso, I meant Canavaro hahaha.

Loew's style is a lot better them Pep's style. Not sure why anyone would hate it. It's based on giveaways and the pending transition. If anyone hates Loew's style, I urge them to join a team and get frustrated because you aren't playing it.

• Admin

In any case, I feel there are so many good teams this year that this should be an especially good tournament. Hopefully ref drama is avoided and all drama is limited to the France dressing room.

In any case, I feel there are so many good teams this year that this should be an especially good tournament. Hopefully ref drama is avoided and all drama is limited to the France dressing room.

Touche. (No pun intended)

2006 - Headbutt heard around the World

2010 - Vuvuzelas heard around the World

2014 - Stadium Collapses heard around the world?

• Admin

Oh 2006. Naturally I didn't support Italy then and supported Zidane, though I've come to appreciate that Italy squad was stacked.

I read an article on it recently and I never realised how central to the match BOTH Zidane and Materazzi were. Materazzi brought down Zidane for the penalty Zidane converted and then Materazzi scored the equaliser before getting Zidane out of the match. Pretty impressive for a guy few probably knew about before that final.

Don't think Tevez played for Argentina since 2011, so no surprises there. He wasn't even in the provisional squad.

Suarez is still in the 23 though, right?

Yes he is. Which means he will be back during the tournament. I just think this is another tournament where momentum can help and if a player isn't in form it really dampens a team. 

• Admin

Yeah several big names are in the squads but with questions over fitness: Suarez, Vidal, Costa, Ribery, Lahm/Schweinsteiger/Neuer too apparently.

Falcao's already missing out as well.

Yeah several big names are in the squads but with questions over fitness: Suarez, Vidal, Costa, Ribery, Lahm/Schweinsteiger/Neuer too apparently.

Falcao's already missing out as well.

Schweiny is back and doing well. Lahm I know is not far away, but neuter is the one to worry about. Apparently he is having issues right now and Weidenfeller is good to go (except that first goal by E'too)