Vancouver’s Draft: My Thoughts

NSG

Vancouver had a lot of picks, especially in the early rounds. @Beaviss and @Spence King had 7 picks this year, including 5 in the first 2 rounds, and, in my opinion, used them wisely. Obviously, one of those picks included me. Here are the 7 picks made Friday night, and my opinion on them. Enjoy. My grades are not based on talent, but more of about how high they were selected versus how high I perceive their value to be.

10th Overall: Robin Galante Nilsson, D, 242 TPE, @RomanesEuntDomus

Not a bad pick. Discipline is a question, but he has good passing and very good defense. He has a good amount of TPE and he could be a rock solid defender in a season or so, and the build is all right. Now, here’s my big issue: He’s big into welfare and hasn’t claimed a Media Spot since December 20. Nearly a month now and it isn’t changing at this point. Welfare guys are nice, and he’s active (being a reviewer), but “Frequent Welfare Claimer”, even with 10-12 TPE a week, isn’t the best thing you want to see on your resume. Grade: C+

16th Overall: Jivere Zolnek, C, 256 TPE, @Sixersfan594

Now, if I were a GM, I woulda drafted this guy 10th and not 16th. Known as Beowoof on SBA, he feasts on Affiliate PTs, so he isn’t doing Media Spots, but at least he is writing , even if it is on another website. He has the most TPA of any Vancouver prospect and I would be surprised if he gets a call-up mid to late season if he keeps putting up those gaudy TPE numbers. I’d like to see more passing, discipline, and checking, but overall a very good build. Not much negative to say about this choice. Marvelous. Grade: A+

19th Overall: Napoleon Bonaparte, C, 178 TPE, @CptSquall

Normally I don’t expect hockey players to be named after generals, but I guess this is an exception. Like me, he’s a first gen player, and it seems that the GM team likes first gen players, as they selected 5 this draft. His TPE earning dipped last week, but he seems to be good at getting lots of TPE and he has done a few media spots and does some reviewing as well. However, he’s also claimed welfare a couple times and it is still unknown to me whether that is the norm or the exception. Only time will tell, but even if he’s a welfare guy, his build is a very good one, in my opinion. Grade: B+

21st Overall: Javad Kamkar, D, 187 TPE, @Parriyah9374

Another first gen, he should be good backup for Nilsson. He also has an SBA account, and has done a few Affiliate PTs, but he seems to be doing a lot more welfare these days. Why he was selected as high as he was is a mystery to me, but nonetheless, he has a very good build and I can’t wait too see what he becomes, even if he’s a career Welfare guy. Personally, he reminds me of Nilsson, just drafted at a more reasonable position, which makes this pick look good. Grade: B

26th Overall: Henry Tucker, RW, 186 TPE, @NotSoGood88
Wow, this is the best pick ever because I got drafted! Lol, just kidding. However, what I’ve been told by the guys on the live stream and my old GM, @Ricer13, is that I was a pretty good draft choice. The live streamers said that I’d been active (which is true, I’m doing a Media Spot right now, and I’m on Discord), but one of them couldn’t figure out where he’d seen me chatting, which may be one of the highlights of my time on VHL (after a minute or two, he used his excellent recollection skills and figured out I was on Miami, probably doing the “Counting Torture Chamber” with Ricer). Obviously I’m active, have a good bit of TPE, and only claim Welfare if I have no choice. Real steal, and though I need to work on my build, we’re getting there. Grade: A

42nd Overall: Tater Tot, G, 131 TPE, @Trunkxolotl

Tater and Tucker not only play for the same VHLM team, but now are poised to be career teammates as they work their way up from Minnesota to Vancouver simultaneously. I know nothing about goalies, honestly, but it seems like he’s on the right track. Very much a Welfare guy, but he’ll be a good backup (maybe even starter, who knows?) and had the best sim I’ve ever seen. Very good bargain at 42. Grade: B

55th Overall: Loic Trepanier, G, 141 TPE, @Noxalpha

Mid 4th round, you’re just taking chances, and this guy is a Welfare Earner through and through. He has good enough TPE, however, and although he didn’t get much action, his 3.29 GAA was very good with Halifax and he helps replenish a previously depleted goalie pool for Vancouver to turn to when their senior citizens retire. I don’t know much about him, but he could be something. Grade: B

Overall: A-

I was disappointed in the selections of the welfare guys in higher rounds, but they definitely had TPE. There were some very good selections, and I think the team overall did well. The GM team should be proud of themselves.

On a separate note (since I need to get to 1,000 words), Henry Tucker, my first gen player, has decided to unveil a new signature.748DCBA5-A61E-4561-88BF-476D68810FE4.thumb.jpeg.e90e8c6839f20b242f9ef9ef373e3279.jpeg

It’s based off Alex Ovechkin, and my first sig, definitely not that great, but shit happens, man.

I just used a painting app and painted away. Tucker has been described as a strapping young man who has a sly sense of humor. As far as hockey goes, he is known as being a very physical but undisciplined guy who is willing to throw his body around. His offense is there, but the defense needs work. 

That’s it for today, have a happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and most importantly, don’t get corona. I hope you enjoyed this article and please comment. 

1,019 Words

Claiming for 1/24 and 1/31