Curse you DDOS!

Beketov

• Commissioner

Not that it really matters but for those that might be curious why shit isn't working today: you aren't alone. I just spent the last 2 hours at work trying to figure out why our internet is working for some sites but not for all; only to find out it isn't our internet but rather the internet.

Apparently Dyn, which is a company that controls DNS for a large amount of websites (though not the VHL apparently, yay for that) is being hit today with waves of DDOS attacks and it's taking out large chunks of the internet. Netflix, Twitter, Reddit, PSN, etc, etc.

So, yeah, if you've been wondering why  some sites are going to shit this morning, that would be why. If you aren't on the east coast of NA and haven't been seeing this yet then consider yourself lucky but it's coming. There are reports that Europe and the West coast are getting hit now as well.

I Blame Anderson, and Russia. Just because.

• Commissioner

BTW I changed my DNS server to 208.67.222.222 and it fixed it. It's a workaround I'm sure and probably won't fix all sites / last long but it at least allows me to work for now. Fun fact, apparently CBC's server address to upload broadcast files run's off a Dyn DNS because I haven't been able to use it since this morning haha.