First VHLM Draft as a GM

zSH08aB.png.b6da194f714162dfbc22e1a4cca814c3.png

So with my first VHLM draft as a GM done, I thought that it would be a good idea to do a draft review and reflect on the decisions I've made in this draft. Though before we get to the actual draft picks, why not talk about the preparations behind it?

The VHLM draft, in all honesty, was something I was a bit unprepared for. With the transition of GMs so close to the draft date itself, I basically had to make a draft board from scratch, with a little help from @rjfrymanon how to do so, but I also had to make sure I knew the situation of my team before I actually started properly scouting. That meant dropping FAs and inactives. Once I had a better situation of the team as a whole, I began scouting. The good thing about this draft is that it's defense heavy. Something I honestly found fortunate because I basically had like one defenseman who was also a FA. So I had to acquire me some of them D. Another thing I honestly considered, and which I ended up doing is moving up in the draft. I had the fortunate circumstances of being left with more than one 3rd rounder and 4th rounder and along with the value of my 2nd rounder, I found it a tad bit easier to move up in the draft without giving up too many futures. Which... I pretty much ended up doing anyways. Though that's not the point. So without the time to properly scout the draft, what could I do? Well what I did was draft those who I was already familiar with early. Which yes meant a bit of player retention, plus the targeting of recreates. The thing about recreates is that most of the time, you're already decently well respected member. I could (hopefully) rely on them to not only give the team quality players, but to also really help out with locker room activity. Same goes with retaining players. I'm familiar with how they are because as their former AGM, I already have an idea as how they were going to be. Plus bringing back a familiar face to the LR was also a good way to promote some more activity. TL;DR is basically I tried to kill two birds with one stone early on. Get good players who I know will be active and get a more active LR presence. The rest of the draft is a lot more riskier as the rest were basically "magic bean" picks as I would call it. They're called magic beans because I legitimately don't know if they're even going to be active or not. I don't know whether they'll completely lose interest in the league, or become the next superstar. All I can hope is that by giving them a chance on the team, their interest in the league might be brought back. Anyways I've been talking too long so let's get on with the actual picks!

:veg: 10th Overall: Sven Reikkinen - D @Devise

So starting off here, we have Devise and his fresh new player, Sven Reikkinen! When I was scouting for the draft, I had thought of potentially trading up in the draft so I can draft someone who I personally really wanted. Yes I did have to give up my 2nd rounder, but as the GM of Las Vegas, I chose to bet on my fortunes that some of my other targets would be in range. Aside from that, Devise was my teammate in LA back when Markus Nygren was still playing, and seeing that he was likely to play in the M this season, I decided to just straight up get him when I had the opportunity to. Hopefully with his addition he could help rig the si- I mean provide stability to a previously non-existent back end. Welcome to the team!

:veg: 30th Overall: ezechiele pierde enel - D @Minermonkey

Minermonkey was the only player from last season who I could actually retain. And yes he was selected for a pick that I traded for. The mentality for that trade was to not only bring back a former player and friend of Vegas alum @Matt thunder, but to also potentially get the chance to bring someone new as well by getting back to back picks. Either way, enel was someone who I basically promised myself to bring back, and I'm so glad I did. Also just as a side note, if you wanna prioritize either passing or scoring, please don't have them close as the same stat. There should always be a 10 point difference between passing and scoring if you wanna do either.

:veg: 31st Overall: Zarek Kaczka - D @Hank

So the first player who wasn't a recreate nor was I familiar with, Kaczka honestly caught my eye when I first looked at him while scouting. No I didn't send any draft questions, but I really liked the build and the amount of earning he has TPE wise. I had enough confidence in him that I was perfectly comfortable with picking him 31st overall. I'm not sure if he was overlooked or I was just lucky to have him available, but I am glad to have picked him. I have great expectations for him and I hope he pans out.

:veg: 38th Overall: Jannik Nylen - D @DreMin15

Joking aside, my buddy from the S72 rookie squad has come back as a defenseman! I practically swore to myself to draft him when I saw DreMin recreate. If I didn't draft him, I would gladly trade for him. I didn't even consider that he could've possibly been ineligble because of a cutoff date for draft eligible players. Even then, so glad to have you back on the team bud! I see that you've chosen to become a passing defenseman. And from my experience, the best you can do is give people fantasy points. Good luck with that.

:veg: 59th Overall: Yonistov Zazilov - RW @Joey Smitherson

The first forward of this draft and also the first person who I would consider a "magic bean" pick. Magic bean picks are those who I legitimately have no idea whether or not they'll be active or not. However, that does not mean I picked them for the sake of making a pick. Zazilov does have a bit of an iffy build but with his low TPE, that can easily be worked on. Anyways I don't have much to say other than welcome to the team!

:veg: 63rd Overall: Egor Minuski - LW @ttman

I think this entire draft, I've just been drafting people who's players are outside of North America. If anyone in the draft stream had to go out and pronounce any of these names, well sorry not sorry. Anyways, another "magic bean" pick, the reason as to why I chose Minuski is because he was, and probably still is a very recent player create. Meaning that I can give him ample amounts of time to see whether or not he'll be active. What's interesting is that his build has all his TPE applied to SK and SC which is honestly a step in the right in terms of actually having good players, so hopefully he fully joins the LR. Welcome to the team!

:veg: 67th Overall: Eric graTTon - C @ERIC GraTTon

So this is the first pick that has a decently easy name to pronounce. Though the spelling is definitely eye catching. Again my plan with these "magic bean" picks was to draft players who were still fresh in the league. I thought that their interests would still be rather new and by bringing them to a team like Vegas, I can help them pan out and make it to the VHL. A passing center build, graTTon's build is rather well rounded? I would object to applying TPE to discipline but again with the low amount of TPE, everything should be fixable. Welcome to the team.

:veg: 69th Overall: Reylynn Reinhart - D @Ricer13

Nice.

:veg: 71st Overall: omarius bryant jr - C @Omariusbryant123434

With the last pick of the draft, we have the biggest "magic bean" pick yet. Not only has he not updated ever since creation, he has also never applied his TPE anywhere to his stats. This pick to me was just a shot in the dark to end off the draft. It is worth the try and I really do hope you join the LR and we can help you develop your player. I really don't have much to say. Welcome to the team though!

And that's that. My quick and easy draft recap. I hope that the more season's I do as a GM, the more experienced I am with making my picks. Though in all honesty, this wasn't too bad of a draft. Even if any of my lower picks don't pan out, I hope that those I personally wanted on the team would be good enough to not label this draft a bust for me. Once again, welcome to Las Vegas folks, and I hope we have a great season together!

(1532 words)

Also gonna review this for free tpe.

Obviously I liked it. Not any bias, I actually liked reading this a lot and how it described why you picked each player. Also had good length. Maybe include some type of picture, maybe like a picture of your GM or something, dunno.

9/10

Edited by Hank

Review: I really enjoyed reading about your experiences in this draft, I know that with Spartan moving up to Moscow you got a lot to deal with now. But I'm glad to see you rise to the occasion, and I know you're going to do alright. Proper grammar was nice, I loved your use of colors as well. Overall this article was very easy to read and the fact you got to pick 69th overall in your first draft that's just perfect. Vegas love baby. 10/10

This was a fun article to read, I loved how we had some memes in it really made it a good read while having a laugh. Structure was great explanations were great!

So ladies and gentlemen we got em 10/10

On 3/15/2021 at 9:01 PM, JigglyGumballs said:

zSH08aB.png.b6da194f714162dfbc22e1a4cca814c3.png

So with my first VHLM draft as a GM done, I thought that it would be a good idea to do a draft review and reflect on the decisions I've made in this draft. Though before we get to the actual draft picks, why not talk about the preparations behind it?

The VHLM draft, in all honesty, was something I was a bit unprepared for. With the transition of GMs so close to the draft date itself, I basically had to make a draft board from scratch, with a little help from @rjfrymanon how to do so, but I also had to make sure I knew the situation of my team before I actually started properly scouting. That meant dropping FAs and inactives. Once I had a better situation of the team as a whole, I began scouting. The good thing about this draft is that it's defense heavy. Something I honestly found fortunate because I basically had like one defenseman who was also a FA. So I had to acquire me some of them D. Another thing I honestly considered, and which I ended up doing is moving up in the draft. I had the fortunate circumstances of being left with more than one 3rd rounder and 4th rounder and along with the value of my 2nd rounder, I found it a tad bit easier to move up in the draft without giving up too many futures. Which... I pretty much ended up doing anyways. Though that's not the point. So without the time to properly scout the draft, what could I do? Well what I did was draft those who I was already familiar with early. Which yes meant a bit of player retention, plus the targeting of recreates. The thing about recreates is that most of the time, you're already decently well respected member. I could (hopefully) rely on them to not only give the team quality players, but to also really help out with locker room activity. Same goes with retaining players. I'm familiar with how they are because as their former AGM, I already have an idea as how they were going to be. Plus bringing back a familiar face to the LR was also a good way to promote some more activity. TL;DR is basically I tried to kill two birds with one stone early on. Get good players who I know will be active and get a more active LR presence. The rest of the draft is a lot more riskier as the rest were basically "magic bean" picks as I would call it. They're called magic beans because I legitimately don't know if they're even going to be active or not. I don't know whether they'll completely lose interest in the league, or become the next superstar. All I can hope is that by giving them a chance on the team, their interest in the league might be brought back. Anyways I've been talking too long so let's get on with the actual picks!

:veg: 10th Overall: Sven Reikkinen - D @Devise

So starting off here, we have Devise and his fresh new player, Sven Reikkinen! When I was scouting for the draft, I had thought of potentially trading up in the draft so I can draft someone who I personally really wanted. Yes I did have to give up my 2nd rounder, but as the GM of Las Vegas, I chose to bet on my fortunes that some of my other targets would be in range. Aside from that, Devise was my teammate in LA back when Markus Nygren was still playing, and seeing that he was likely to play in the M this season, I decided to just straight up get him when I had the opportunity to. Hopefully with his addition he could help rig the si- I mean provide stability to a previously non-existent back end. Welcome to the team!

:veg: 30th Overall: ezechiele pierde enel - D @Minermonkey

Minermonkey was the only player from last season who I could actually retain. And yes he was selected for a pick that I traded for. The mentality for that trade was to not only bring back a former player and friend of Vegas alum @Matt thunder, but to also potentially get the chance to bring someone new as well by getting back to back picks. Either way, enel was someone who I basically promised myself to bring back, and I'm so glad I did. Also just as a side note, if you wanna prioritize either passing or scoring, please don't have them close as the same stat. There should always be a 10 point difference between passing and scoring if you wanna do either.

:veg: 31st Overall: Zarek Kaczka - D @Hank

So the first player who wasn't a recreate nor was I familiar with, Kaczka honestly caught my eye when I first looked at him while scouting. No I didn't send any draft questions, but I really liked the build and the amount of earning he has TPE wise. I had enough confidence in him that I was perfectly comfortable with picking him 31st overall. I'm not sure if he was overlooked or I was just lucky to have him available, but I am glad to have picked him. I have great expectations for him and I hope he pans out.

:veg: 38th Overall: Jannik Nylen - D @DreMin15

Joking aside, my buddy from the S72 rookie squad has come back as a defenseman! I practically swore to myself to draft him when I saw DreMin recreate. If I didn't draft him, I would gladly trade for him. I didn't even consider that he could've possibly been ineligble because of a cutoff date for draft eligible players. Even then, so glad to have you back on the team bud! I see that you've chosen to become a passing defenseman. And from my experience, the best you can do is give people fantasy points. Good luck with that.

:veg: 59th Overall: Yonistov Zazilov - RW @Joey Smitherson

The first forward of this draft and also the first person who I would consider a "magic bean" pick. Magic bean picks are those who I legitimately have no idea whether or not they'll be active or not. However, that does not mean I picked them for the sake of making a pick. Zazilov does have a bit of an iffy build but with his low TPE, that can easily be worked on. Anyways I don't have much to say other than welcome to the team!

:veg: 63rd Overall: Egor Minuski - LW @ttman

I think this entire draft, I've just been drafting people who's players are outside of North America. If anyone in the draft stream had to go out and pronounce any of these names, well sorry not sorry. Anyways, another "magic bean" pick, the reason as to why I chose Minuski is because he was, and probably still is a very recent player create. Meaning that I can give him ample amounts of time to see whether or not he'll be active. What's interesting is that his build has all his TPE applied to SK and SC which is honestly a step in the right in terms of actually having good players, so hopefully he fully joins the LR. Welcome to the team!

:veg: 67th Overall: Eric graTTon - C @ERIC GraTTon

So this is the first pick that has a decently easy name to pronounce. Though the spelling is definitely eye catching. Again my plan with these "magic bean" picks was to draft players who were still fresh in the league. I thought that their interests would still be rather new and by bringing them to a team like Vegas, I can help them pan out and make it to the VHL. A passing center build, graTTon's build is rather well rounded? I would object to applying TPE to discipline but again with the low amount of TPE, everything should be fixable. Welcome to the team.

:veg: 69th Overall: Reylynn Reinhart - D @Ricer13

Nice.

:veg: 71st Overall: omarius bryant jr - C @Omariusbryant123434

With the last pick of the draft, we have the biggest "magic bean" pick yet. Not only has he not updated ever since creation, he has also never applied his TPE anywhere to his stats. This pick to me was just a shot in the dark to end off the draft. It is worth the try and I really do hope you join the LR and we can help you develop your player. I really don't have much to say. Welcome to the team though!

And that's that. My quick and easy draft recap. I hope that the more season's I do as a GM, the more experienced I am with making my picks. Though in all honesty, this wasn't too bad of a draft. Even if any of my lower picks don't pan out, I hope that those I personally wanted on the team would be good enough to not label this draft a bust for me. Once again, welcome to Las Vegas folks, and I hope we have a great season together!

(1532 words)

9/10 Very interesting to see how a GM handles a draft as before this i didn't really have an idea of what it was like.  I like that you wrote things about evert person you drafted as i bet that makes them feel appreciated.

second review thingy..... i like reading the in depth VHLM articles. i like how you wrote this with the details and bringing up past things. its cool the league has people that have history from before and they have a shot at reconnecting again. this articles was nice as a new member vhlm history with present articles are nice to see. 8/10