My Ranking of Every Team's Backup Goaler

Gustav

A backup goalie is an often-overlooked part of a VHL team. They get thrown in when they're required to be, often just 8 games every season, and then they're benched as the team does all they can to win by giving the other 64 to the higher-TPE player. Often, a backup is a lower earner who may never be a starter, but at times they may also be a star in the making. Here I'll be ranking every team's current backup by how much I'd want them on my team--that is, where they are in TPE, how they've done in the past, and (most importantly) their potential to develop into a legitimate starter. 

It's a .com, so let's go. This is going to be way longer than 150 words, but as always I only write about things I want to write about and I can't think of anything else at the moment (other than something that would be longer than this).

1. Sirkants Klamasteris | @hedgehog337 | S75 | 635 TPA | :tor:

#1 on this list is a no-brainer. "Sir" is better than many starters in the league, and will certainly be the starter next season after the retirement of Jaxx Hextall. In fact, he may be #1B this season, as starts between him and Hextall have been split fairly evenly.

2. Jacob Carson | @jacobcarson877 | S74 | 422 TPA | :war:

One could argue that Blazevicius and Tater Tot have better potential, and that may be correct. I'm going to go with Carson here because he's a couple more seasons into his development and is currently more starter-ready. In fact, with Ajay Krishna inactive and depreciating next season, Carson may be called upon to take over as the starter. He also did fairly well last season, picking up a .931 SV% in 10 games.

3. Tater Tot | @Trunkxolotl | S76 | 291 TPA | :que:

Tied with Blazevicius for the title of youngest goalie in the VHL, there isn't much at all separating our #3 and #4. The difference comes with a very slight TPE edge and a better opportunity for Tater Tot--while UnGuri figures to be the long-term starter in Davos, Vancouver doesn't quite have a franchise goaler in place, leaving the door open if Tater Tot sees an increase in earning.

4. Jurgis Kalvelis Blazevicius | @efiug | S76 | 282 TPA | :dav:

And here's Davos! Many backups in the league are S75 players who are just a shadow above Blazevicius in TPA. With Blazevicius being a full season younger, he's set to catch up to most if not all of the S75 backup class (Klamasteris excluded) this season, and with another full season before depreciation, he's got a higher ceiling. 

5. Woody McPine | @HearnNation67 | S71 | 547 TPA | :mal:

525-TPA Artem Tretiak is easily #2 on this list if we assume that the lower-TPA player is the backup. However, the starts have gone to the hotter prospect in Tretiak so far, leading one to believe that McPine is the one in the backup role. McPine has played in at least 40 games every season of his career (including the maximum in S75), finding himself in starter territory up to this point--so in terms of being able to hold down the fort, he's proven himself worthy. Being from S71, though, the future is limited.

6. Joakim Bruden | @PadStack | S71 | 487 TPA | :nya:

It's weird to see Bruden outside of Davos, but here we are. Bruden had a few seasons as the starter in Davos, with two as #1 and one--last season--as 1B. Though sim luck never seemed to fall his way, he's got a fresh start backing up rising star Thadius Sales in New York. Though, like McPine, he won't end up making a big difference now or in the future, he's the third-highest-TPA backup in the league and one of the best possible options when the starter is out.

7. Trent Gibson | @Caboose30 | S75 | 335 TPA | :hel:

Gibson gets recognized over a few other S75s for a few reasons. First off is current goaler Zamboni Driver being out the door after next season--possibly giving Gibson a starting opportunity--and second is Caboose being an active contributor in other leagues and getting half of his weekly cap for free from elsewhere. 

8. Matthew A. Sovick Jr. | @matt sovick | S75 | 303 TPA | :rig:

Sovick is very similar to a few others, though he's been more active as of late. Though Calvin Harvey seems to be in net for the foreseeable future and it seems somewhat unlikely that Sovick might start in Riga, he's become more active as a member and may have a bright future in the league down the road.

9. Aksu Maronen | @aksuko | S75 | 301 TPA | :sea:

Maronen's future in Seattle is more limited than Sovick's in Riga, with starter Rara Rasputin being both S75 and 600 TPA. There may be a space for Maronen elsewhere, but reaching starter status with the Bears seems highly unlikely.

10. Kloxified | @Kloxified | S74 | 355 TPA | :chi:

Time may be running out for Kloxified to become a starting-caliber player, but in terms of TPA, Chicago has the 6th-best backup to fill in for Camus when necessary.

11. Michael Olson | @MSO94 | S74 | 339 TPA | :mos:

With fellow S74 draftee Kevin Malone in net for Moscow, it's unlikely that Olson will ever be the starter there. However, like Kloxified, he has developed enough to be usable.

12. John Poremba | @CrlineDijohn14 | S72 | 395 TPA | :la:

With close to 400 TPA, Poremba is the 5th-highest backup in the league. However, he will depreciate heavily next season and be gone in S79. At the moment, he is a good option--but that is very temporary.

13. Michael Fletcher | @DragonFire420 | S75 | 293 TPA | :prg:

Fletcher is comparable to Maronen or Sovick, but he's also inactive. A return to activity would move him up the list, but until then he remains more or less a filler.

14. Nils Friedriksen | @Biggreen10 | S72 | 343 TPA | :ldn:

Friedreksen is in Fletcher's situation, usable but inactive. Being three seasons older, though, the time he has to re-establish himself is very limited.

Yeet! I learned a few things here; I hope you do too.