Battlefield Diary Part 1: The War Beginneth

Juice

10OTmxp.png

April 11th, 2021. The wounds of battle are fresh, and despite being neck and neck with the enemy, the horrors of war are very real as I didn't think it would put me at such discomfort knowing that in a few short weeks that I could be the one with a face full of pie. Such a disgrace may lead me to an early retirement, or as they call it in the VHL "Being traded to the DC Dragons".

We had a conflict with the enemy very early on in the year where they sneakily defeated us which helped lead to our announcing of a full-on war with San Diego, so tensions were really high before our next battle to unfold. Before arming ourselves with our trusty Sherwoods and sharpening our blades, the fearless leader of the Yukon held a speech to keep up morale:

"When announcing this war, we knew it would never be an easy one. However, we wouldn't have declared this war if we knew we wouldn't win. Look at your comrades around you, if there is one thing you can count on, it is that they will pull through for you as long as you pull through for them. Nonetheless, remember one other thing if you still feel the pressure of the world on your shoulders.

We're facing literal fishes lol ez winz"

With these words of wisdom, the second battle was a furious one, but the Yukon ended up on top, led by Alex Johnston (@Alex_J32) and Nathan Powers (@JB123) and had a lovely dinner of fish to celebrate. However the celebration is but a short one, as on the horizon the next clash as I'm sure that after @thadthrasheris done wiping his tears and kissing his stuffed teddy bear, he will want his revenge. And we will be ready.

I want to introduce my battalion of soldiers to help lead us to ultimate victory:

Center - Lorgo Pompronkimishkonov

@dart

Acquired early on into the season, Lorgo proved that he wasn't just a throw in on a trade that sent a high-TPE forward the other way and is now Yukon's top line center. This goal-scoring rookie phenom was consistently in the top 10 in points and goals throughout the season, and although he's cooled off as of late, I'm sure he will bounce back to finish the season as strong as he started.

Center - The great

@Jake Sumner

The great is someone who lives up to his name. He's been with the team for 3 seasons now, and is taking his game the extreme next level by already hitting a career high in goals and a career high in points in just over half a regular season. He brings the power needed to have two scary forwards lines as he sits as our second line center.

Center - Pippo Coca

@pippo

Pippo has only recently joined the team, but having Pippo as the third line center makes it so we have a goal scoring threat on three lines now as they will hold down the fort there.

Right Wing - Alex Johnston

@Alex_J32

Although Alex joined Yukon halfway through the season, he's proved that he's a staple of the team on and off the ice. With hard work on developing his skills, he's already climbed to be one of the best forwards on the team in a short time and continues to exceed all expectations.

Right Wing - Apollo

@SexyWrench

Albeit probably needing a wheelchair after each game due to their ripe age of being 50, Apollo knows one thing. And that's sniping the puck. Every team needs a dedicated goal scorer that can throw the body, and Apollo will continue to be that player for hopefully the foreseeable future.

Right Wing - Jaromir Lemiuex
@hockeyis66

Jaromir gave Yukon one of the best pre-draft interviews we could ask for, and we penciled him in right away as someone who would be a diamond in the rough. And boy, was he ever being the 64th Overall Pick and already being a PPG in the VHLM. Jaromir is both a great locker-room addition as well as produces just as well in-game.

Right Wing - Brighton Grisby
@StephenCurry5806N

Acquired in a recent trade, Grisby instantly hopped into the Yukon top 6 as someone hopping to be someone who would provide a lot of skill throughout their game. Not only did they do that, but they surprised by being someone who is solid defensively despite that not being something particularly part of their game. Grisby is someone we're super happy to have as they consistently perform.

Right Wing - Zen Raider
@bRaidsz

Another new recent addition to the team, Raider has an extremely well rounded game and is currently slotted into the third line as they slowly develop their game to the next level. We're excited to see how they improve their game.

Left Wing - James P Albini
@Ttro89

Similar to Raider, Albini is someone who has a really good well rounded game and has been with Yukon since the start of the season from the last VHL draft. Hopefully with some more development, Albini can show the potential that Yukon knows is inside him.

Defense - Nathan Powers
@JB123

One of the breakout stars for the Yukon, Powers has shown that he has the utmost talent and that he worth the top two defensive pairing minutes that he is given. Even when times were rough and he was the only defenseman to start out the season, Powers fought through and is turning into a star before our eyes.

Defense - Inunnguaq Kiak

@Grant

A top piece in the trade that sent out VHLM star Zakrevsky to Mississauga, Kiak came in as a really sought after piece as the Yukon needed a top defenseman to put alongside Powers. And boy, did that ever work out as Kiak is currently lighting it up game in and out with 49 points in 32 games. The tag team of Kiak and Powers is something to fear.

Defense - Mitchell Osborne
@OzNasty

Gotten off the waiver wire, Osborne also came in as someone Yukon desperately needed and slots in on the second pairing alongside a double-shifted Kiak. Osborne adds the defensive touch we could only dream of and we hope to see further development as the season goes on to bring out the offensive touch to their game.

Goalie - Darcy Cat
@Tropicalfire

To say that the Yukon needed a goalie would be an understatement. The fear of going into the season without a goalie would have been reality if it wasn't for Cat to come in and accept our final Free Agency offer. Despite not the best goaltending stats this season, we don't pin any of that on Cat as our lack of defensemen is the main cause of this, but we can attribute almost all our wins due to having Cat as our saving grace.

Goalie - Jacob Rask

@BostonBruinsFan1806

The newest addition to the team, Rask has already shown that he lives up to the family name with some good goaltending stats to start out his career alongside his first ever VHLM win! We hope to see some good development out of him as Cat and Rask will sharing the workload.

----------------------------------------------------

As I write this, the last sim has come through and the Marlins have defeated us in the latest match.

We will get our revenge, as you might have won the battle, but we will win the war.

GIF by SkySlope

(1,237 words, claiming for weeks ending in 4/11 and 4/18)

Edited by Juice

I think you hurt your head in that last "battle", even though the winners were already decided from the start lol, keep dreaming cuz the only war you need to worry about is avoiding the inevitable pie to your face