Reviews and why i hate them

BladeMaiden

https://anchor.fm/huddlehussy/episodes/Reviewing-and-Why-i-hate-it-e15lcsh

i’ll save you all time and grief, no human takes criticism especially well and i am no different. 

@Juice you get ur ass called out a bit

@gorlab because I said I would tag

@InstantRockstar mentioned 

@BOOM mentioned

this was a rant for tpe, idgaf if y’all wanna fight. If you love reviewing keep at it and if you hate it because it reminds you of the work still needed to actually make it good join my club, we have sassy t shirts! 

Edited by BladeMaiden

Review; why are you always so mad? Cant we all just get along and enjoy sim hockey. Great job adding tags and the link that works! Great work here blade as always and love the tee shirt idea maybe add mugs next time instead. 7/10 great effort tho! 😜

Well I only review on the weeks that Trivia wasn't posted, mainly because I hate reviewing or "critiquing" other members work. I'm not qualified to dispense advice, so why listen to my opinion?

As for phoning it in, yes I probably do. I was recently told that I do the minimum required to earn my TPE, so why bother going that extra mile tbh?

I do GFX for people I like and because sometimes when I open PS I actually enjoy fucking around with it. I don't do it because I want or need to express my artistic freedoms or some shit.

Review:

There's...a lot going on in this radio and I'm not sure that it's a good thing. It seems that you had two different microphones (a decent one and one that kept cutting out) + rants mixed together and makes it a bit messy, definitely with the message to me as it came off quite a bit odd with you calling yourself a rattlesnake of all things (is that you Stone Cold?). The talk about how artistically inclined you are and how you've went to art classes so you know a thing or two about reviewing was great, but I would have preferred to see a better rant in general about how anything I said was super negative. Overall I think there's a bit of work to be done on it, but I see the idea you were trying to go for. I'd give it a 5.5/10, not quite a 6 as you didn't edit out the 3 minutes of silence at the end.

On 8/9/2021 at 3:03 AM, Juice said:

Review:

There's...a lot going on in this radio and I'm not sure that it's a good thing. It seems that you had two different microphones (a decent one and one that kept cutting out) + rants mixed together and makes it a bit messy, definitely with the message to me as it came off quite a bit odd with you calling yourself a rattlesnake of all things (is that you Stone Cold?). The talk about how artistically inclined you are and how you've went to art classes so you know a thing or two about reviewing was great, but I would have preferred to see a better rant in general about how anything I said was super negative. Overall I think there's a bit of work to be done on it, but I see the idea you were trying to go for. I'd give it a 5.5/10, not quite a 6 as you didn't edit out the 3 minutes of silence at the end.

Again kindly go choke on a bag of dicks. Feel free to stay the fuck off my content.  

On 8/9/2021 at 12:15 AM, Prout said:

Review; why are you always so mad? Cant we all just get along and enjoy sim hockey. Great job adding tags and the link that works! Great work here blade as always and love the tee shirt idea maybe add mugs next time instead. 7/10 great effort tho! 😜

Lmao, I’m only upset when I’m hanging around the vhl. Probably a sign that the time to hang up my skates is coming soon enough. It’s either that or I refuse to take  ppls bullshit. Both are pretty valid theories at this point.

On 8/9/2021 at 12:59 AM, BOOM said:

Well I only review on the weeks that Trivia wasn't posted, mainly because I hate reviewing or "critiquing" other members work. I'm not qualified to dispense advice, so why listen to my opinion?

As for phoning it in, yes I probably do. I was recently told that I do the minimum required to earn my TPE, so why bother going that extra mile tbh?

I do GFX for people I like and because sometimes when I open PS I actually enjoy fucking around with it. I don't do it because I want or need to express my artistic freedoms or some shit.

we all phone it in at some point, I didn’t mean it as a bad thing. More like inevitable the longer you have been around. 

I still have no clue why I bother with graphics or podcasts at this point. Like i said in efl discord the other night, you ate very talented and no matter what your work blows most ppls out of the water. 

I do agree that some people half ass reviews but it should never be recommended to newer members and I feel like the audience has doubled or tripled since I started and it's kind of a shifted to a grey area. 

Took an art class and loved it, at the end of the day though I know nothing about design so I just look back at all the ones I've seen on here and gorlab is definitely at the top of the list along with @Frank🚒 now taking over, those are the graphics I compare with when making a rating. You are one of the many great designers I skip past when rating and usually go for somebody new or has no comments. The thing is the number of decent reviews definitely outweighs the bad ones and it's not worth that much TPE so I don't see it as a problem right now specially if the staff decides to implement different rules somehow.

Now finding the right words to say and whenever doing it later is the hardest thing for me, may even get a VHL.com done quicker than the time I take starting at every small detail of a graphic while thinking of way it could be improved knowing my advice may not matter.

Again I try my best and know my hard thought reviews don't reflect a graphic designer with experience but hope you guys can understand they're are plenty of us that would LOVE to attempt one but lack any knowledge of how to start.

Shocked that you don't like reviews even having the confidence of knowing what is good because I find anybody willing to take the time to say anything is a plus, obviously some formers are an exception 

Would have been a lot spicier without the microphone screwing up so Juice wins this round easily. Oh and thanks for the 3rd spot in our draft class.. My rating is ;)

Review: there’s a lot going on in this podcast 😂 I like that you came in here with a topic and a point to make on the topic. I left knowing exactly how you feel on the issue of reviews and why - that’s the goal of a good, succinct, meaningful segment.

I’ve heard lots of gfx gurus complaining lately of “people who don’t know what they’re doing coming and giving me a 7/10”, which, fair enough. Don’t forget the cardinal rule of feedback: only listen to people whose feedback matters to you. They say “don’t read the comments” for a reason. Reviewing isn’t going away, so you will have to get over HockEBruh69420 coming in and saying he likes your colours but the font looks a bit wonky. Sure, part of reviewing is for the artist to get feedback, and part of reviewing is for straight up TPE. But it’s also helpful for this noob to be forced to look at a piece of art and meaningfully critique it. It’s how the artistic eye develops. You don’t have to listen to them, you don’t have to give a shit about their opinions, but you have to accept that it’s going to happen if you post it. Once you share your art, it’s in the public domain. You can’t tell people to go away, stop commenting, and don’t look at it. 

You make great points about the value of art too. Yeah, you don’t make gorlabs. Only gorlab does, and should. You’ve got a style. Some critics might not appreciate it, but that’s fine. I don’t like abstract art, I think a red circle is just a red circle sometimes. Doesn’t mean Jackson Pollock is a bollock. Don’t take it personally, but also important is that us non creatives also have to start seeing gfx as actual art and remembering the people behind the sigs are artists. That being said, even Van Gogh made some crap. I’m glad you admit to that, but you also can’t be mad when someone calls you out on not

meeting the lofty standards you set. 

As an experienced podcaster, I know how awful it is to hear your own voice, but it’s important to give it a once-over before posting to catch those pesky tech glitches that plagued the best part of your show.

I never know if you’re serious or not when you purposefully explicitly say you’re trying to cause drama, but I’ve always given you the benefit of the doubt and like to think you’re playing heel. Mostly because you do a good job of it, and also because Juice is the nicest guy on here and being mean to him is like drowning kitties. 

I’ve also definitely clipped some bits to save for the next time the blues make an announcement to “mixed reviews”, so thank you for those quotes. 

Overall, 8.5/10. Great content, organized and focused segments are a rarity these days, and the listeners appreciate you going in with a plan. I disagree with what you say at points, but that’s a good thing. Double and triple check the tech, do some more light editing, and show us what you got next time.