Official Reading/Book Thread

frescoelmo

2 hours ago, frescoelmo said:

So do I put my library into the app and it recommends what I should read next?

Yeah, kinda -- you can import your Goodreads library, which was super easy. The shelves translate too StoryGraph, too.

For the recommendations, you can fill out an interest survey (that you can modify at any time), and it'll give you recs based on that. I haven't used the rec function yet, but it looks solid. Not sure if @aimkin or @Otis Boudreaux Jr have used it before, but worth asking :P

Another notable perk of StoryGraph is that there are graphs that show trends in your reading history. I love graphs.

4 minutes ago, fishy said:

Yeah, kinda -- you can import your Goodreads library, which was super easy. The shelves translate too StoryGraph, too.

For the recommendations, you can fill out an interest survey (that you can modify at any time), and it'll give you recs based on that. I haven't used the rec function yet, but it looks solid. Not sure if @aimkin or @Otis Boudreaux Jr have used it before, but worth asking :P

Another notable perk of StoryGraph is that there are graphs that show trends in your reading history. I love graphs.

It's definitely based off of your library, your tbr, and books you've read. I think it gets better the more information you feed it. But yes, at any point you can tell if if you're in the mood for something specific and it will spit out recs that fit what you're looking for. 

also just realized that their roadmap is available to the public so you can see what the direction for the site looks like, this is actually killer. i am so pissed at fishy from the past for letting myself suffer through goodreads

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, fishy said:

I don't, generally speaking, track page count on books I've read, but I just started a 987 page book. what're the longest books y'all have committed to?

Upcoming in the next few months I have Inheritance by Christopher Paolini which is 860 pages. That's definitely going to be my longest book.

I'm not sure for a single book, but I have read several omnibuses, most of which were over 1000 pages, the longest probably being Paths of Darkness which was 1184 pages according to good reads

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/62482.Paths_of_Darkness_Collector_s_Edition

Not sure if it counts since its multiple books put together but i did carry these around in HS with my textbooks to read when I had time

22 hours ago, fishy said:

I don't, generally speaking, track page count on books I've read, but I just started a 987 page book. what're the longest books y'all have committed to?

For me, it was The Stand by Stephen King, a great read for when the covid pandemic started. The Czech translation has like 1050 pages. I'm pretty sure it's the only 1000+ pages book I've ever read

Edited by VattghernCZ

On 9/30/2023 at 12:41 PM, Enorama said:

The longest books in my read list, according to Goodreads:

image.png.a0c378cd17309bfbb939f514a43062fd.png

Funnily enough, I also started The Stand around February 2020. (also lol at the Bible being in there)

did you really read the bible front to back

• 2 months later...

Stopped reading for about 2 months due to the wedding. So you'd think being stuck at home with Covid for 2 weeks would mean catching up on a lot of reading but that was not the case since I spent most of it sleeping. But I did manage to get The Poppy War on Libby and I'm a little more than 100 pages in and really enjoying it. 

5 hours ago, Enorama said:

On my to-read. Have you read anything else from R.F. Kuang? I read Babel this summer and liked it.

No, this is my first book by her. I've been going back and forth about adding Bable to my tbr. 

The Poppy War is the best war epic fantasy I've ever read. Kuang does really impressive work in the genre ESPECIALLY as a debut. I've read all her books, and I liked Poppy War the best. I don't re-read books, but I will be re-reading that trilogy!!! 

1 hour ago, fishy said:

The Poppy War is the best war epic fantasy I've ever read. Kuang does really impressive work in the genre ESPECIALLY as a debut. I've read all her books, and I liked Poppy War the best. I don't re-read books, but I will be re-reading that trilogy!!! 

I've never read epic fantasy before because I struggle to get through the history and lore. But the way she writes it makes it so easy to digest and understand. 

1 hour ago, aimkin said:

I've never read epic fantasy before because I struggle to get through the history and lore. But the way she writes it makes it so easy to digest and understand. 

that's so fair, I'm a sucker for intricate world building, even when it's not directly always propelling the plot. which makes it easier for me to get through them

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, fishy said:

ok everybody, what were your best books of the year? 

One I started the last days of the year: Dungeon Crawler Carl from Matt Dinnimann , got through it in no time. Now on book 2 of it.

3 hours ago, fishy said:

ok everybody, what were your best books of the year? 

Definitely Legendborn and The Poppy War. Couldn't put either down.