Official Reading/Book Thread

frescoelmo

I just started the fourth book of the Wheel of Time series.  I read the first couple books years ago when they originally came out and never finished the series.  Thought I would go back and read them.  In 2023 I read the prequel and the first 3.  Hopefully I will get a chance to o through most of the remainder in 2024.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:07 PM, JCarson said:

I just started the fourth book of the Wheel of Time series.  I read the first couple books years ago when they originally came out and never finished the series.  Thought I would go back and read them.  In 2023 I read the prequel and the first 3.  Hopefully I will get a chance to o through most of the remainder in 2024.

this is on my to-read list, but it's so long and feels like a major commitment. same with Brandon Sanderson books

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 12:07 PM, JCarson said:

I just started the fourth book of the Wheel of Time series. 

I tried to get through them last year and made it to book 6 before having to take a break.  I enjoyed them but they are a slow burn for sure.  Written at a time when slower longer series were popular I think.  Still on my bucket list to finish.  I finished the Malazan main series (10 books) last year and those are Tombs!   A dense series but overall pretty good. 

• 3 weeks later...

Currently rereading "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy.

If you don't know about this book, check it out. Even by today's standards, It's still pretty rough/raw.

Last book I read was "Lullaby" by Chuck Palahniuk.

• 2 weeks later...

So...I had seen Game of Thrones, so I thought it would be a good idea to read the books. I'm just finishing the first book, and fu*k me, the characters are bland. I feel like GRRM does absolutely terrible job getting you invested in any of them. 

Like Bronn, he was by far my favorite GoT character. The smirk, the snarky remarks, a bit of a dick, just perfect. In the first book...he's good with a sword and hangs out with Tyrion, and that's all of his personality.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:35 AM, UghSike said:

Currently rereading "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy.

If you don't know about this book, check it out. Even by today's standards, It's still pretty rough/raw.

Last book I read was "Lullaby" by Chuck Palahniuk.

I watched a youtuber going through the Blood Meridian story in a 4+ hours long video,and yea, sounds really interesting

Edited by VattghernCZ

On 2/22/2024 at 2:36 AM, VattghernCZ said:

I'm just finishing the first book

I read to book 4.    Loved the first one and thought they get progressively worse.   Book 4 was a slog to get through for me.  Some good portions but overall was tough.  Don’t think we will ever see book 6-7 so might never finish book 5 

43 minutes ago, Scurvy said:

I read to book 4.    Loved the first one and thought they get progressively worse.   Book 4 was a slog to get through for me.  Some good portions but overall was tough.  Don’t think we will ever see book 6-7 so might never finish book 5 

Well, it's gonna be an interesting experience reading more 😅

When I ranted about the lack of personality in GRRM characters to my friend, I found myself comparing GRRM to Abercrombie as a polar opposite in this regard. The way most of The First Law is written in POV of different characters really makes you care for them, I absolutely love most of them. GRRM just can't do that.

I'm super happy I got to read more of Abercrombie's stuff, and thank you for that! I'm gonna read the second SOIAF book, then I guess back to more Abercrombie 

Edited by VattghernCZ

On 1/5/2024 at 10:48 PM, jacobcarson877 said:

Started A Court of Thorns and Roses last night after TikTok bullied me for months to. My girlfriend didn't love it, but read the other series first and preferred that style more. About 100 pages deep so far and I can see why, I hear the first 3/4 of the first book are boooooring but I'll push through.

Got a pile of one of my favourite series from my childhood, the Redwall books. ~300 pages each, fun, simple adventures featuring wholesome woodland animals. What more could one ask for in some light reading!

One of my goals this year is to read some non-fiction. Thankfully I now have access to a vast collection of history and political science books that I can steal from, and maybe I'll find something that catches my attention.

Update:

- Finished ACOTAR, it was fine, would read the 2nd one to give it a shot post lore-dump.
- Read Throne of Glass, did prefer it, lulled a bit halfway through, but excited to read the next one eventually!
- Read another Redwall book, they're just so fun, about the start the 3rd for the year!

After the next Redwall book is some non-fiction ideally, and then I'll start Mistborn! Excited to see what my take on the Sanderson style is!

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, jacobcarson877 said:

Finished ACOTAR, it was fine, would read the 2nd one to give it a shot post lore-dump.

I haven’t finished the series, got distracted halfway through book 3, but I will say the action definitely picks up A LOT after the first 3/4 of book 1. It has much more “under the mountain” energy from this point which is good.

23 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

Update:

- Finished ACOTAR, it was fine, would read the 2nd one to give it a shot post lore-dump.
- Read Throne of Glass, did prefer it, lulled a bit halfway through, but excited to read the next one eventually!
- Read another Redwall book, they're just so fun, about the start the 3rd for the year!

After the next Redwall book is some non-fiction ideally, and then I'll start Mistborn! Excited to see what my take on the Sanderson style is!

i gotta get on that Sanderson hype as well... eventually. might take a while looking at the list of books I plan on reading :D

55 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

and then I'll start Mistborn! Excited to see what my take on the Sanderson style is!

I enjoyed Mistborn but didn't love it (Don't kill me Sanderson fans).  I really loved The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive #1) in comparison though.  

On 12/1/2021 at 2:21 PM, Fire Tortorella said:

Currently reading The Wheel of Time series for the first time - currently in the prologue of Book 10 - Crossroads of Twilight.

First new series I started reading in a long, long time. Tried to get @WentzKneeFan036but I don't know if he even got through 75 pages of the first book. 

Update - I am only about 1/3rd of the way through Book 11 at this point. Just hit a wall with reading in general and never got back into it. Want to try to read more as a way to wind down after work instead of Football Manager or something similar.

Work has been picking up which means I come home and I'm too exhausted to read. So I've been relying on audiobooks on my commute for the last few weeks and will probably continue to do so for the next 6. I knocked out a few childrens classics I've never read but saw the movies. (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Paddington Bear). I also discovered a free series on Audible called Divine Dungeon and I finished the first book today. It's a great story if you're into D&D or similar games. Right now I'm listening to I'm Just a Person by Tig Notaro. Nice short non-fiction audiobook to break things up a bit. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finished "The Teacher" Freida McFadden a couple weeks ago and have been working my way through "Ward D" by her as well. 

Really good author for psychological thrillers.

Read The Kingless Land by Ed Greenwood this weekend on my girlfriend's Kobo to see if I wanted one. The book was fine, but the reading experience was great, so the Kobo is on the way thanks to redeeming some PC points!

5 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

so the Kobo is on the way thanks to redeeming some PC points!

Exactly how I got my second Kobo after the first one I picked up used... took a bath

Finally read my first Brandon Sanderson, started with the Final Empire of course. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and I'm excited to get back into it once I circle back through my rotation of series on the go! I'm trying to get a foundation of some of the fantasy classics here, so I'm reading a collection of Conan stories, and wow are they horrifically dated. I get the vibes, I see what they're doing and appreciate them for their legacy, but I may not finish all like 20 or something. I just want to read other things more.

I just finished Thrill Switch by Tim Hawken  https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/62587788 

I did a mix of reading the physical book and listening to the audio book, which i had access to via spotify.  The first time I had listened to anything in audiobook format.  I really enjoyed the book.

I am very into cyberpunk settings right now so I will probably stick with that genre.

On 3/26/2024 at 2:39 PM, jacobcarson877 said:

Finally read my first Brandon Sanderson, started with the Final Empire of course. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and I'm excited to get back into it once I circle back through my rotation of series on the go! I'm trying to get a foundation of some of the fantasy classics here, so I'm reading a collection of Conan stories, and wow are they horrifically dated. I get the vibes, I see what they're doing and appreciate them for their legacy, but I may not finish all like 20 or something. I just want to read other things more.

Kinda gave up on Conan, figured I should continue with some classic work here in the genre and picked up Jack Vance's Dying Earth. I've gotten through a couple of the stories now and while there's a lot of the same datedness, I much prefer these stories, and totally get why they became fundamental parts of the fantasy genre. Really cool time capsule. This one is like 100 and some odd pages, so I imagine I'll finish it, but it'll be onto some newer works after this.

I’m reading Empire of the Damned by Jay Kristoff (book 2 of Empire of Vampire).  Pretty good book , very dark and violent but that’s right up my alley.  

also reading The Sentry by Robert Crais - mystery thriller about a private investigator in LA.   Fun series 

On 3/26/2024 at 7:39 PM, jacobcarson877 said:

Finally read my first Brandon Sanderson

Hey, me too! My dad started the Stormlight Archive last November, and I mentioned I waned to read that series as well. For my birthday in February, he sent me the first three (full-length) books. We're reading them together, and we're currently on Oathbringer.

I'm just now (finally) getting myself out of a reading slump--I felt like every book I read for a while was extremely average. I think The Sunbearer Trials by Aiden Thomas and What the River Knows by Isabel Ibañez may have saved me, so I'm trying to keep my good streak up now.

On 4/1/2024 at 5:00 AM, Garsh said:

I did a mix of reading the physical book and listening to the audio book

I've been doing this as well, and I really enjoy it. I read really slowly, so I like being able to put an audiobook at 3x speed and read at a faster pace. I also like being able to listen to a book while I'm doing various tasks, whether it be making dinner, running errands, or crocheting :D Audiobooks ftw

Since my last post I have finished the audio books of The Lightning Thief, The Messenger by Terry Maggert, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Currently I am listening to Dungeon Madness which is the 2nd book in the Divine Dungeon series but I'm listening to the dramatized adaptation and it's so much better than the regular single narrator.

My up nexts are Sea of Monsters and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. It's possible you may see a pattern here lol. I'm also attempting to pick up a physical book during my short down times during my work from home days and that is Little Thieves by Margaret Owen. I received it in a blind book purchase so we'll see how that goes.

2 hours ago, aimkin said:

The Messenger by Terry Maggert

I was REALLY hoping to see by Markus Zusak here