(S81) C - CC Sheldon, TPE: 30

Mr. C.C.

You don't need to sign with anyone tbh, if you went inactive you'll still be drafted to the VHLM. The playoffs is just a chance to get some games in (what we are all here for) but if you have a different approach that isn't a problem.. Waiver signing is pretty much a tryout contract. When you get drafted you auto get a 3 year contract, it can be negotiated whenever you get into the VHL to have whatever conditions you want though, it's like an entry level deal.

Edited by 16z

Just now, Mr. C.C. said:

He used dispersal draft wrong and didn't bother correcting himself.  He said being signed off waivers is pointless.  He should really think about how he says think.  That would great

Nope, those are the words we use here. I was trying to translate it into something that would be more familiar for you. 

1 minute ago, Mr. C.C. said:

Why would I sign just because it's playoffs

You don’t have to, but it could be fun to Cup chase and be a part of something fun. This place is meant to be fun after all. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. C.C. said:

Plus, I don't want no three year deal just because the league says so

Pretty sure this is what the NHL does eh?

Big deep breaths dude. We’ve been doing this for 80 seasons. Literally over a decade. We appreciate feedback, we do implement changes. We don’t appreciate someone coming in, poking around for 24 hours, and then telling us everything we’ve built here is stupid and wrong and needs to be done the way you think is right. No one is forcing you to be here. We want you to be here! But I hate to be the one to tell you, you’re not sim league Jesus sent here by Simon himself to save the VHL and make us pay for our business-of-sport sins. We have fun, it works for us, we’d love you to join us, but we’re going to keep doing us. 

30 minutes ago, bigAL said:

Pretty sure this is what the NHL does eh?

The NHL doesn't have arbitrary contact where they say you have to be locked into certain deal.  They have what is called guaranteed contracts.

For the most part NHL contracts are guaranteed and the player will get the amount of money they sign for. They cannot simply be cut from a team and lose the contract they signed. However, a player can lose a portion of the contract through a buyout, escrow, or, in extreme circumstances, contract termination.

Edited by Mr. C.C.

Bro it’s a simulation forum online hockey league. 

it’s not the nhl therefore we have rules set in place for reasons. As stated above this league has been around for 80 seasons and for over a decade so I think there’s a pretty good chance that the reason it’s set like that is probably a good reason wouldn’t you think?

Now we don’t have complaints area that’ll be reviewed however I’d suggest just learning more about the league before going on quickly without knowing why things are set in place.

obviously we want you to stick around and enjoy the league however that’ll be your call. I hope you enjoy the league regardless because at the end of the day it’s just a hockey sim league online that we all enjoy. 

the community itself is great also which makes it 10x better in my personal opinion but i highly suggest just learning things to get a better understanding of the league itself. It makes sense believe me.

anyways hopefully this clears anything up if you have questions please feel free to ask we’re all here to help and want every user to feel involved and more importantly welcomed. 

have fun! 

1 hour ago, Mr. C.C. said:

The NHL doesn't have arbitrary contact where they say you have to be locked into certain deal.  They have what is called guaranteed contracts.

For the most part NHL contracts are guaranteed and the player will get the amount of money they sign for. They cannot simply be cut from a team and lose the contract they signed. However, a player can lose a portion of the contract through a buyout, escrow, or, in extreme circumstances, contract termination.

No I mean the entry level contract is 3 years, not more and not less. You gotta earn your UFA status, rookies aren’t entitled to anything. 

• Commissioner

@Mr. C.C. I think you are trying to put this into a real life frame of mind because that’s something you understand and it’s a reasonable thing to do but unfortunately there are things about the league that can’t run “realistically” for purely logistic reasons.

For example, in the real junior leagues new players are brought in at the draft, they can’t just walk in and expect to play. However that would involve us only being able to add new players once every 2 months or so which doesn’t make any sense. That’s why our “waiver” system (which isn’t really named the same way you’d expect) exists, so that players who join at any time can be placed onto a team before they are drafted. How the VHL operates, where you are drafted and your rights are owned by that team, is a bit more traditional because we can have a set date (the draft) for new guys to come in.

This is what makes it so that sighing with a non-playoff team doesn’t make sense. It’s not really that you can’t, it’s just that come the draft in a few weeks you’ll be released and placed in the draft so that you get that “formal” period that you are kinda expecting. Before the draft it’s more of a “get you playing” kinda deal.

I also feel like I saw you mention something about signing during the playoffs: regardless of team this is impossible. Not because we decided it as an arbitrary rule, but because our sim engine literally doesn’t allow it. It won’t even let me open the transactions or unsigned players menus in the playoffs.

Basically being virtual means a few different things for us compared to real life, our rules are constructed in such a way to make those differences work in our favour even if they may seem a bit strange at first.

15 hours ago, Mr. C.C. said:

The post above me is from one of our commissioners, so it should clear things up big time. If not, here's a little tidbit to keep in mind while discussing the VHL:

A. This is not the NHL. It is an online simulation league. We do not abide by NHL rules regarding some aspects of contracts, trading, and drafting. 

B. As has been brought up, this league has been running for a long time, since before I was born. The rules we have in place have been battle-tested beyond your imagination, and even then we are still implementing huge changes (see this announcement). The league is very open to change, even running a suggestion drive this season to collect suggestions from our members. 

C. Please, before you go on rants about how the VHL desperately needs change and isn't being run properly, familiarize yourself with it. This is the rulebook, where everything about how the league runs is catalogued. Also, I highly recommend joining the league discord so you can involve yourself with our fantastic community. 

And finally, I can't stress enough, keep this in the back of your mind at all times: this is for fun. It is ran by unpaid volunteers who enjoy it so much they're willing to put time and energy into it, and they're trying their best. All the members you were arguing with before have dedicated their time to reaching out to new members such as yourself. I for one would appreciate it if you treated this thing that has been built and running for 14 years with a little more respect. 

I sincerely hope you decide to become an active member, because you clearly have a lot of passion for the game of hockey. 

See you around 😀

• 8 months later...