S79 Deadline Suggestion Drive

Beketov

• Commissioner

Hello @Members! (I know, two pings in one day, god damn these blues)

I promise this will be worth the extra ping. While it is theme week and that does mean extra uncapped TPE we wanted to offer a bit more this season. As you may have noticed, and as @GustavMattias pointed out activity is down a little bit. There’s likely a number of reasons for this, the forefront of which is that summer is usually a slower period and we had a large boost from the pandemic which is more or less coming to a close.

We aren’t necessarily concerned about this, it was mostly expected, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t keeping an eye on it. So, with that in mind, we wanted to add a little something to the deadline and theme week this season: A suggestion drive. We’ve done these before and they are pretty simple, what you need to do is comment in this thread with 3 suggestions about how you would want to see the league improved. This can be things that other leagues do, things that we used to do and stopped, things that just seem so obvious it’s strange we never tried, whatever you want. Once you do that you can claim your comment (uncapped-> other-> other) as 3 uncapped TPE.

A couple of quick notes about this:

1. The thread will lock in 1 week (just so that people don’t come in super late and try to claim it) so get your suggestions in early. Additionally, though it should work out anyway, this has to be claimed before the deadline and cannot he claimed on a player created after the deadline. Same as the theme week basically.
  2. You can work off a suggestion someone else posted but at least make sure to add your own opinions and thoughts on the matter, don’t just copy someone else and say “yeah that.”
  3. We don’t guarantee that anything suggested will be used but I do guarantee that we’ll at least read them all and comment where we can. Just because a suggestion doesn’t get used doesn’t mean it was ignored or not discussed.
  4. If a lot of discussion starts happening (which isn’t a bad thing) we’ll likely branch off a discussion topic on top of this one so that things can get fleshed out more fully. However the more detail you can give the better.

1. Would it be possible to alter the portal, so that on your player page, there's stuff like a photo/number/jersey etc. Like a real profile you would see on a website. This just might make it seem more "cool" to have a player on the site, and maintain that connection

2. I'm guessing there's nothing that really can be done with "live streaming" games or having some sort of commentary using the text read out from STHS? Might take a lot of effort but could build some suspense especially during playoffs etc.

3. An official top prospects game before the VHL Draft?

1) live pbp in the discord

2) new member spotlight article weekly

3) VHL hosted weekly game night in discord

4) bring back Jardy as non-paid commish

Edited by frescoelmo

I know most are using discord but for an active site, I do believe an active forum still has a critical role to play in making sure the league is healthy. I don't know too many ways to improve this as it seems majority prefer discord.

Here are a few suggestions to help with activity:

1) I have seen this on other forums and not sure how easy it is to implement but those forums have an "arcade" section where members play in some old school arcade games. Top 10 high scores are shown for each game which helps promote competitiveness and leads to more activity on the forums as members will want to beat the current high scores.

2) I know a lot of users have migrated to discord and are using discord. Maybe have a weekly (monthly?) recap of some of the more interesting conversations about the league that happened on discord and put it on the forums. This will engage those members that do not use discord and can also continue to stir more discussion about those topics that could help improve the league.

3) More transparency behind award voting. I know this have been debated back and forth on multiple occasions but for awards vote have the voters describe why they voted that way. During the award announcements have those descriptions be added to every vote so that the user base can see why the votes were cast as they were. You don't have to publish the name of the voter, but just a simple explanation quote. This can lead to more forum activity as users are generally interested and want to know why votes were cast for that specific player. This can then lead to some great discussion in the awards threads.

4) Adding one more but maybe create a job for a dedicated interviewer whether it is written media or podcast and one a week/month have them interview users from the site. I think once our user base can see interviews about the people playing this game they will be more interested in being active and participating more. These shouldn't be interviews about users players but actually about the user. This could be just a few simple question and answers on where they come from, why they got into VHL, greatest VHL moment and few other fun questions. I have been here for a while and outside of my team-members I really don't know much about a lot of the users here and it would be more engaging knowing who you're playing with and against.

Edited by Greg_Di

1. Highlight the best community-created content of the week in some kind of article. Not sure what the logistics would be, but I feel like there’s a sea of content now and it’s hard to navigate what I should read.

2. Graphics/Writing tournaments. A good way to get people engaged on the forum imo.

3. Start building a bit more hype for the VHLE. I haven’t heard a ton about it other than the GMs, so I feel like sparking some conversations about the new league will increase activity.

1. Have certain competitive events that require forum participation - for instance, something like the 20 minute GFX challenge that gorlab ran a couple months ago. It was done on Discord, but could easily do it on the forum. Could maybe make it competitive and offer a Free Week if someone wins. 

2. IDK what the relationship like is with the SHL (or any other sim leagues), but a cool idea would be to organize some sort of twice-a-year match-up on a mutually agreed sim platform (EA NHL?). Pick an all-star team from each league and have a 7 game series. Can make it into some sort of charity event.

3. Gather a list of actives that don't participate in the Discord and encourage users to focus their PTs on those players... whether its interviews, sigs or even just an article. Have them more involved. Similarly to this, have an Uncapped Point Task (2 or 3 TPE) that lets you interview a new player once a season to have them feel involved. 

1. The teams GM's can do individual team awards for the players.

2. Incorporate an Allstar game during season where every team has at least 1 player selected 

3. Players of the week for a skater and goaltender. Every week

1. I'd say maybe some way to make a profile for your player. More customization would definitely make it a bit more engaging. Sure, you have your name, size, age but maybe you can add a jersey number option and give people the ability to give their player pfps. I don't know how easy it is and how easy it'd be to moderate to make sure nothing inappropriate shows up but that would be cool.

2. I'm surprised we haven't done this yet but more live pbp or NHL sim games. We use it for the all star game, why not use it for a top prospects game? Exhibition matches? The limitation of text sims is that there are no visuals but maybe if we had more NHL sim games with our teams, it'd draw interest. They don't have to be season games, maybe like non-standings games or maybe even the finals for World Cups and stuff.

3. Maybe a "work of the week/month" section to help encourage and inspire others. Plus, members who deserve recognition for excellent works can be given it.

• Look for more partnerships with similar games? I know some members here from another game and vice versa. This could potentially help with recruitment. 
  • Track more advanced stats, possibly the location of where a player scores their goals, or where a goalie gets beat. Not completely sure, since it is more random but just a thought. 
  • Display Jersey Numbers on player pages. Kind of like how Hockey Reference does with the team colors and number? 

All of these are just suggestions and I think the VHL is doing a great job :)

1. I think having some way to highlight the best articles and graphics of the week might be cool because it will help show who is doing well with thier content amd give them recognition.

2. maybe having optional interviews with draftees when draft season comes so teams can know more about them 

3. Bringing back the Allstar game would be awesome as well so that the best players can show off thier best stuff.

1. I'd like to see more opportunities to improve players. I know we have an experience earning at the end of the season, but it would be cool to get some tpe for season goals. EX: if you hit 50 points you can claim 3 uncapped tpe. The same idea with awards.
2. I really like the idea of customizing your player. Nice to see a space for photo, more autobiography , etc.
3. I don't really know how this sim app works, but have we got a chance to add new player skill ?
4. Live voice press conferences in discord: before the start of the season ( playoffs ) 

1. More ways to earn TPE. I don’t care what the cap is but I would love having more variety instead of having to do the same type of tasks every week. This is only my second season and I’m already tired of doing reviewing when there isn’t trivia. It would be cool if there were other uncapped TPE options too, career tasks even.

2. An updated new member guide, a link on the forum that SHOUTS at new players “hey click me if you’re new and don’t know anything about the VHL yet”. If there was a bot or a link to a forum thread to answer questions fast or supply links for most asked questions I think that would be nice for new players. Having everything you need on one page, a really good detailed beginners guide to the VHL. Even a couple YouTube videos linked to this page showing step by step how to access the forum or portal. There is the short version of how to create a player and earn TPE but that’s it… I didn’t even bother watching the 30 minute video because it is 30 minutes, too long. When I joined I had dlamb to answer every question I had, he was really active and answered fast, and knew everything which is a good reason I was so engaged in the league and wanted to stay. I don’t know if all the other VHLM GMs can be as active as that to keep the new players around, I’m not dissing them, I’m just saying we all have lives. So maybe a page or bot to answer questions fast would help.

3. This may be over the top, but after every week if someone did a weekly recap on games. Kind of like a sport center segment where you talk about movement in the standings, stats, news around the league. Could be a simple 5-10 minute video recap to keep people in the mix if they missed anything. I would definitely watch it, I love watching highlights on sport center all the time.

1. Bring back the trivia end of the season payouts. Yes, I am a tpe whore.

2. Adjust the prices or attributes of the regression aids in the player store.

3. Looks like others have commented on more options when it comes to the player page. I would like to see more stats. 

4. Player page awards should include WC and WJC awards.

1- Have the player choose their number every time they change of team so the team can retire that number if you played great with one team and never change your number

2- Have some rivality in the sim. I know there is always one that the GM's are creating but it can be cool if the sim can detect the rivality or someone can press a button or something like that so the games will have lots more hits and fights.

3-Have a locker room in the VHL site.

Edited by Otto Numminen

1. Player Engagement - Somehow tie player "activity" as some sort of attribute/Rating which a player only controls by the amount of TPE they earn and the consistency they earn it.  say for instance the player who updates prac facility and welfare 3 out of 4 weeks in a month isn't out playing and averaging 3 pts per game compared to a player who is earning 12tpe + every week.  I hear/see people commenting "why do the work if my guy is going to be outplayed by someone who logs on for 1 min per week to claim prac fac and welfare"  

2. Claiming TPE - I feel i've recently graduated from being a VHL Noob.  What I mostly struggled with was the correct way to claim/earn TPE.   Maybe a refresh on with some diagrams/snipits of what/how to claim etc...  My point with this is some people are visual, some have experience from other virtual games, etc.... the TPE claiming could be re/written for dummies, clear/discard any versions from the past, have all teams delete any old versions on their team discord and just have the most updated version so it's the same everywhere, maybe everyone has a link on discord to the master version.  and who knows, maybe it's already sorta like this but that wasn't my experience.  Currently it's decent but could be better.  This ties into player engagement also, some people get frustrated and quit. 

3. NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Bracket - I don't recall seeing a ping for the tpe and or that my picks sucked and got nothing.  If i missed this, my bad, IF not, go back and provide everyone the TPE they earned.  

Thank you 

520454520_DK13.JPG.2771b33b64672dd23bd43745e39cbee0.JPG

Ideas! I have those!

1. I don't know if has been done in the past but, I do think at least naming all-star teams in all the leagues with at least one player from each team could be a cool way to shine a light on some players who typically won't get the same recognition that the players who are leading the league will.

2. I don't know how feasible this is, but set up the portal so that in addition to stats it tracks how many times a player has been 1st, 2nd, or 3rd star in a game over the course of the season.

3. Opening VHLM fantasy to everyone, I've noticed that most players who have been around for a while tend not to concern themselves with the M so much as they are only ever in it for a season. Opening the fantasy so that anyone can do it would keep more eyes on the M and could help attract a bit of attention to newer members. (it would also give @youloser1337 more work so it's a win win!)

#1. I saw other people mention this but more customization for created players. Jersey number would be a cool little tidbit. Hometown too and not just country. 

Careers are long and not everyone creates a HOF player and wins awards.  Maybe create a 500 career points club and 250 career goal  clubs to recognize guys that would be in the Hall of very good. 

#2. Make passing mean something in the sim. I will make a 99 passing 40 scoring player in the future just because I can. Then I will deeply regret it. 

#3. Remove Sonnet from the league....  oh nvm jk jk , we are good

#3. For real Part 2

3 stars of the week like the NHL does , would be fun and engaging.  Just the 3 stars 🌟 , so it could be done in a timely manner. 

Edited by Jubis

1. Would love to see more stats part of the leader boards or even in the team scoring pages of the portal. I find I am having to use the index to look at certain stats (face off percentages being the big one) 

2. Players of the week added to the forums or even the portal as they are currently show on the index. I think it would add hype and discussion around different teams, players etc... based on the selections.

3. Add more details about each individual player in the portal if possible from Jersey numbers, Renders (Images?), Highlight award won and Bio section like a back of hockey card.

1. Is there a way to simulate a real live stream like PBE has?  I know that text is generated for the game as it progresses and I wonder if that could be fed as it happened to either this forum or the various discord LRs.  The latter is preferable as everyone has that on their phone and follows easily, but forum a little less so.  I'm sure it's probably almost impossible or fully impossible, but if only the games for the team your player is on could be piped to the LR, that would be awesome.  I'm not sure how many will tune in when it is just a massive text stream, but might if they could tune in for their player.

2.  VHL has the best presentation of the forum, I think, than any other league I'm in, but I'd like to continue in that vein.  Graphics are cool and add to the flavor of the game.  PBE has its graphical stream which just can't be beat, but can we place player pics in places like the player page and/or the update page?  Users would have to submit a prepared pic to size requirements, but it could be pretty cool.

3.  Force GMs and AGMs on to their own teams as at least the PBE does - and I think SHL and ISFL?  It is just completely too weird to have a GM's player playing for another VHL team.  Splits loyalties, splits focus of the GM, causes awkwardness of being able to talk strategy in the LR.  Just why?  I'm not likely to ever be a GM in the VHL, but it would be a huge turn-off for me that things are as they are.  I'll hammer away at the focus issue.  I don't want my GM concerned about any other team than my player's.  Fortunately, my GM is on my team, but ...

4.  Am I right in thinking AGMs get no TPE for the job?  If so, change that.  Please.

1. Add the real index link to the top of the forum, right next to portal link would be a fitting place. I find it annoying having to navigate to portal, from there to index and current/history. It should be a simple link that takes you there with one click.

2. I like Jubis' idea of weekly 3 stars. I think it would be a cool way to highlight some of the players. Also to avoid the stars going to the same player(s) every week, some limitations can be added, unless the player is simply too dominant to not make them a star of the week. And the focus shouldn't be only points. Goalies and defensive stats exist too.

3. In the Portal it should be clarified that the HOF page includes awards, builders and a lot more, not just Hall of Fame like it currently suggests. (HOF/Awards, for example idk)

1. Add VHFL to portal, would make it so much easier to see all available players like the draft page

2. Diversify in the youtubers used to make VHL ads, stop using thrasher every time because its easy. There is no point in doing with the same youtuber unless there is an event like a game launch which will add onto their viewer base because you will just be showing the ad to about the same x number of people again and again

3. Make jersey numbers a thing, even if its not an option in STHS it adds more flavor and retired numbers actually take effect

4. Re-locate Moscow to Mumbai

1. Mid season tournaments for all leagues where prize can be something like 1 uncapped TPE for all members of winning team

2. More off topic forum games like the chess tournament, town of salem, etc which get members using the forum more often

3. VHL Buddy system to be set up for new members. A buddy can help teach how to claim point tasks or just chat, and this can be more personal than a recruitment team member. This should be VHLM GM's and AGM's; however, it frequently is not picked up by them

This is something that I've been toying with for a while, and while this may fall under the lens of "improving VSN" instead of "improving the VHL" I do thing "improving VSN" accomplishes both of those things. One of the struggles has been finding people to write recently, and though we have a great cast of VSN contributors right now, with the expansion of the VHLE, I'm wondering if the old VSN model is becoming somewhat bloated/difficult to keep running at the same pace. So an idea that I've had for a while is adding in some kind of "bounty" system for stuff like the VHLM, to where players on a VHLM team can send in some articles for editing/compilation into a kind of VSN-sponsored VHLM newsletter, focused on players articles/stories as opposed to to old VHLM newsletter content. Might be a good way to get some regular content out onto VSN, while also giving some new joiners/VHLM players a platform. 

The point of bringing it up here is to say, what would everyone think about this idea? I've floated it before in some private chats and have gotten semi-positive responses, but I'd like to know what everyone thinks of it. Would it work? Would it crash and burn? Would the blues support/want that kind of thing on VSN? I'd assume there would be some kind of TPE reward for it (presumably allowing them to earn another 2 capped TPE of "Job Pay" that effectively allows them to double up on a vhl.com article for that week, but I'm open to suggestions, we could also make them be PT length to get them to replace their PT for that week, but that might be a little trickier to actually accomplish)

For anyone who is still reading at this point, any other ideas for VSN improvements? I am seeing a lot of ideas on here for some more regular league-sponsored content, such as @Greg_Di's interview idea, and obviously I tend to approach those ideas from a "how would we do this using VSN's platform" perspective; such as when we had the push for BoG writeups. I'm open to any suggestions for improvements/ways to freshen VSN up, so let me know if anyone has some ideas!

So with that post out of the way, I suppose now I didn't actually do the prompt that was requested here, so:

1) As per my larger post, add in a VHLM bounty/newsletter system to VSN that gets new VHLM players an opportunity for a larger audience.

2) I'm a big fan of forum games. It gets people logging on and interacting. Town of Salem has been a lot of fun, but other potential games like other people have suggested. I don't have too many ideas on exact ones to do 😕 . Would love to play garticphone with people. 

3) Maybe we could have a weekly/monthly album listening/review thread? Basically a kind of VHL forum-based music club. I bet I could get @GustavMattiason board 👀