Bratislava Watchmen Press Conference

FrostBeard

On 8/28/2023 at 11:57 AM, hylands said:

:brt:Bratislava Watchmen Press Conference:brt:

Week Ending 9/3

plz answer edition!

1. Were you worried about the rest of the season after the disaster 0-4 start?
2. The top five teams in the league are all really close together still, do you see that continuing?
3. Which team do you think will end up being our biggest competition?
4. Who do you think would be the best tour guide on the team, and why is it rory?
5. Do you follow any sports outside of sim leagues? If so, which ones are your favourites?
6. Have you watched or read anything great recently? I'd love some recommendations.

1. Yes. This is still an unmitigated disaster season, burn it all down. No more watching the Watchmen.

2. Nah, I think the top 2 or 3 will show their differences soon.

3. Probably the Vasteras Iron Eagles. Through the first couple dozen games they look incredibly strong and might even pull away.

4. Rory because they are a master of geography and travel.

5. I follow the NBA peripherally, the MLB this season only because the Orioles are actually good for the second time in my life, and only pirate the NFL because it's a generally disgusting organization who allowed Dan Snyder to do terrible things for decades. Go Ravens.

6. The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom is a wonderfully interesting read. Would also recommend Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.

Week Ending 9/10

skibidi toilet edition!

1. We are about 1/3rd of the way into the season. Is your player performing how you expected them to?

2. Our goaler Jonny Elgar leads the league in save percentage and goals against. How important is an elite goaltender to the team's success?

3. If you could be any animal, which one would you be and why?

4. If you were stuck at burning man, what lengths would you go to to survive?

5. Are you a beach and ocean type person, or more of a woods and lake type person?

6. What is your favourite nostalgic media to consume?

2 minutes ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 9/10

skibidi toilet edition!

1. We are about 1/3rd of the way into the season. Is your player performing how you expected them to?

2. Our goaler Jonny Elgar leads the league in save percentage and goals against. How important is an elite goaltender to the team's success?

5. Are you a beach and ocean type person, or more of a woods and lake type person?

1. My player is miles ahead of my expectations I'm leading the league in save percentage and goals against.

2. It is very important

3. Dog they can get so spoiled soon

4. No idea what burning man is

5. Oooh now this is a tough choice I love the woods but I think I'm going to have to go with the beach

6.Old minecraft videos they are so nostalgic.

Aeschylus is playing pretty well down in the M so far. He's ready to keep up the positive momentum and make it to Bratislava next season.

Our goalie tandem have both made big contributions to the team and that's playing a big part in the team's early success for sure.

Humans are animals too so I have a lot of experience being an animal. I'd probably want to be a tortoise so I could stay grounded and be old as shit.

Survival is the name of the game. If I was stuck there they'd have to change the name of the festival to burning men by the time I was through with em.

I'm mostly a wood type of person in the sense that my desk is made out of wood (I know I know, rich guy flex) and I like being at my desk.

I don't eat media often but when I do definitely TV shows. I rarely watch new things and would prefer to watch something like Breaking Bad or Always Sunny in Philadelphia for the 10th time instead.

20 hours ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 9/10

skibidi toilet edition!

1. My player is mired in an awful stretch right now, which has tainted my view on my performance this season. I definitely expected more consistency, and better scoring pop over the season. I was also hoping to have improved defensively this season with the focus on defensive development in the off-season, but I'm currently a -7, which isn't great.

2. It's definitely vital to team success to have reliable quality goaltending, so we've got a huge luxury with Elgar and the man with many W's back in net. Being able to rotate through the tandem and keep them fresh is going to be great for us down the stretch run.

3. I'd like to say some kind of bird just to be able to fly. It must be cool to be able to just get from place to place quickly.

4. I'd find the fastest way to leave, not my kind of scene.

5. I like both, probably depends on the mood. Beach and ocean is great to just relax, but it also gets really busy, so that takes away from some of it. The peace and quiet in the woods and on a lake is hard to pass up, it's so serene.

6. Give me the 80's! Movies, especially action or comedy (or both together). Music is phenomenal from that decade as well.

Actually I'm much less involved in the offense than I expected to be. I'm a little saddened by it to be honest :(

I dunno, I feel like I hear "yes you must max earn" and "goalie TPE doesn't matter at all" sometimes one sentence after another. Is it a random number generator or directly proportional to your TPE? We've gotta get that story and fact straight.

A capybara. Imagine being at one with the world as they always seem to be.

Why am I at Burning Man? Do I hate money and myself?

Why not both in different weekends? I'm probably a bit more of a woods/lake type person, though if we could do that without the risk of ticks that would be great.

Probably Dragon Age: Origins. Is that too specific?

A little below expectations, I thought for sure this would end up being a point per game season, but currently coming up short on that.

I think a great goalie is huge for a team.  No other one person can take over a game the way they can.

I don't know, maybe a corgi?  Everyone loves corgis.

All of the lengths, I am getting the heck out of their.

I would describe myself as more of a woods and lake person.

Probably like old youtube videos from an earlier part of life.

Week Ending 9/17

i'm late edition!

1. The team has been one of many streaks this season, our most recent being four losses. What do we need to do to turn that around?

2. Which team's position in the standings (could be any one of the three leagues) are you most surprised about this season, and why?

3. Having gone through half a season so far, do you think the contraction to six teams was a positive change?

4. Who would be your early pick for MVP of bratislava so far, and why?

5. Do you have anything special in your locker in the dressing room besides hockey equipment?

6. Which city that hasn't seen a franchise among all of the VHL leagues would you like to see get a team?

1. The team has been one of many streaks this season, our most recent being four losses. What do we need to do to turn that around?

I'm not advocating for any of us to become Tonya Harding, but perhaps we could use coercive tactics...

That's right. Full send into Fighting and Checking.

2. Which team's position in the standings (could be any one of the three leagues) are you most surprised about this season, and why?

Ours. WHY AREN'T WE FIRST ;-;

The sim is a fickle mistress.

3. Having gone through half a season so far, do you think the contraction to six teams was a positive change?

Yes, I'd say it feels overall competitive (save for the Olso Storm) without feeling explicitly coin-flippy against every team. It seems like we're clearly top four and only regularly lose to Vasteras.

4. Who would be your early pick for MVP of Bratislava so far, and why?

@McWolf/Sunset Moth, of course 😍

How could I choose anyone else? Sunset balances out how terrible Spanish Moon has been, and we've already had a question about how awesome our goalie is so I need to pick a new answer.

5. Do you have anything special in your locker in the dressing room besides hockey equipment?

Mothball remover. Don't ask.

6. Which city that hasn't seen a franchise among all of the VHL leagues would you like to see get a team?

Atlanta would be an interesting North American Conference add. Or maybe Minneapolis-St. Paul? I thought we used to have a Minnesota team but I might be mistaken.

7 minutes ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 9/17

i'm late edition!

1. We probably shouldn't have named Will Ferrell captain of the team, his insistence on streaking constantly has really put us in this position. I think that the continued development across the roster will improve the team, and will make us more consistent.

2. I expected Cologne to be right at the top of the E with Vasteras, so I'm surprised to see them in the middle of the standings at the moment.

3. Not really sure what it was like before because this is my first season in the E, but looking at the rosters across the league it seems to be more competitive. Definitely more depth in terms of TPE ratings on teams down the lineups.

4. I'd have to go co-MVP's for the goalies, they've both been terrific this season. They give us a chance to win every game.

5. Old iPod for music for sure, gotta get in the zone before big games!

6. Give me somewhere funny like Cairo or Rio de Janeiro just to throw something completely different into the mix. Time to expand the VHL globally!

4 hours ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 9/17

i'm late edition!

1. Get the most tpe possible and try our hardest.

2. Uhh I honestly don't know maybe the calgary wranglers?

3. Yeah we don't have tons of players spread out over more teams.

4. Co-award the goalies have been doing insane this season.

5. Phone and airpods to listen to nostalgic music and also some candy or gum.

6. Toronto I think If they haven't had a team.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:25 PM, hylands said:

Week Ending 9/17

i'm late edition!

1:We just need to keep pushing for every point in every game with every minute

2: I think my best answer is us, I think have what it takes to fight for that number 1 spot.

3: As this is my first season I don't have too much to say on it but a quick glance shows it to be more competitive with less teams.

4: Both goalies deseve it, they have been a blessing on this team keeping us in every game.

5: Yeah, being from the Holy See I managed to get the Pope to sign one of my old Mexico City Jerseys. So I keep that in there for good luck.

6: I could give a funny answer like Cairo in Egypt or Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia but I think realistically somewhere like Dublin in Ireland or Athens in Greece would be good cities.

I would suggest scoring more goals, letting fewer goals in and just in general playing better hockey.  Please pass this feedback to rory.

Helsinki, I think we are one of those teams where on paper you go "hey these guys are pretty good"  but we are apparently not very good actually.

Yeah I think the league looks to be in a more competitive place now.

I will echo the goalie tandem keeping the team in a competitive spot.

Nope, i keep it simple and clean.

Not sure I care enough about a city to be like "hey this place should get a team" but i guess something like St Louis maybe?

Week Ending 9/24

trade deadline edition!

1. If you were Bratislava GM, which area of the team would you look to strengthen in a trade, and why?

2. There has been basically no trade activity around the league, why do you think that is?

3. For those of you that have been VHL drafted, which team will you be graduating to, and are you excited? For the moths that haven't been drafted, do you have a preference or any hopes for the eventual VHL draft?

4. Are you at all interested in becoming a GM in one of the leagues? Or have you had past GM experience?

5. Can you recommend me an awesome band that I've probably never heard of?

6. If you were in charge of taking the team out to dinner, what kind of restaurant are you taking us to?

Edited by hylands

55 minutes ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 9/24

trade deadline edition!

1. If you were Bratislava GM, which area of the team would you look to strengthen in a trade, and why?

2. There has been basically no trade activity around the league, why do you think that is?

3. For those of you that have been VHL drafted, which team will you be graduating to, and are you excited? For the moths that haven't been drafted, do you have a preference or any hopes for the eventual VHL draft?

4. Are you at all interested in becoming a GM in one of the leagues? Or have you had past GM experience?

6. If you were in charge of taking the team out to dinner, what kind of restaurant are you taking us to?

1. I have no idea I think our team is well balanced.

2. Every team is happy with their players

3. I am graduating to the Calgary Wranglers next season and I am hyped

4. No

5. Idk so nirvana

6. Bob's burgers 

15 hours ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 9/24

trade deadline edition!

1. I'd likely look to add more scoring up front. The blueline is developing well, and the goalies have been phenomenal all season long, but we're still not in the same realm offensively as the higher scoring teams in the league.

2. I think that it's a tough league to trade in because it's almost pure rentals everywhere with players only being in the E for a year or 2. I'm not sure that anybody in the league is fully sure of what their team is yet either, which is a product of the parity in the league at the moment. Most of the teams have had good runs move them up the standings and bad runs move them down so far.

3. I got drafted by the Toronto Legion, who are having a great season at the moment after loading up for a run this year. I'm excited for my first VHL action to come at some point, and hope to be able to contribute at the next level.

4. I would like to do it at some point when the timing is right. Would probably want some AGM experience first before making that jump in responsibility.

5. I never know how to answer these ones, just because I never know if the bands I listen to are popular or not. Here are some of my favourites, even though people probably know who all of them are already - Newer Music: Rise Against, Arkells, Glorious Sons, Evanescence, Three Days Grace, The Trews, Barenaked Ladies - Older Music: Poison, Eagles, Styx, Def Leppard, Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn, Supertramp, Diamond Rio.

6. Definitely a sports bar. I fully expect it to be a loud and chatty night with everybody knowing how the locker room can get. Plenty of wings and apps to go around for everybody, with something fun to watch on the tv!

Ex-AGM (not you, hylands). dylan is quite mean to me.

Probably a touch lower overall activity, plus I think the standings show there are pretty distinctly competitive vs non-competitive teams, so I guess there isn't much marginal benefit to be gained from teams with few resources and poor standings.

Wherever Sunset goes. Preferably somewhere good, but McWolf and I have been on the same team only sparingly for our entire existences :[

NOPE. I GMed a successful team in the EFL for several seasons and I'm good with just having that experience.

I don't know what bands you know! I love Sammy Rae and the Friends, Lawrence, and Couch. Does that help?

Thai food. Everyone loves thai food.

I think you are all perfect as is.

In the E specifically, I think there is just not much movement in general.  In the VHL, I think some teams made their moves earlier in the season (see Helsinki/Moscow). 

I was drafted to Helsinki, and we are not doing as well as we would have hoped but we are having a good time.

No thanks, I don't think I would be a good GM.

Do you know about Ad Infinitum?  I love Ad Infinitum.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POwK89M7PH8

I will take you all to my favorite local family owned pizza place.

Week Ending 10/1

almost the playoffs edition!

1. We are in 3rd place and it looks like that's where we will finish. Are you happy with that looking back at the season?

2. There is a chance that Rome and Vasteras swap positions in the standings. Do you have a preference for which team to matchup against in the playoffs?

3. What is your favourite way to relax after a game?

4. What do you think is the most important quality to be a good GM in the league?

5. What is your favourite board game of all time?

6. What do you think is the most amount of costco hot dogs you can eat in one sitting?

9 hours ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 10/1

1. We are in 3rd place and it looks like that's where we will finish. Are you happy with that looking back at the season?

2. There is a chance that Rome and Vasteras swap positions in the standings. Do you have a preference for which team to matchup against in the playoffs?

4. What do you think is the most important quality to be a good GM in the league?

6. What do you think is the most amount of costco hot dogs you can eat in one sitting?

1. Yeah im happy with how my season went even if it is my last in the vhle.

2. I don't really have a preference.

3. Listen to music and stare out the window on the drive back.

4. Be friendly with your team, then they will have a reason to do the most tpe possible for their team.

5. Monopoly.

6. Uhh I don't really like Costco hot dogs but probably 5

15 hours ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 10/1

1. While I'd always prefer higher in the standings, I think we've done a great job of being competitive this season and getting into the playoffs, which is the goal all season. Now we need to turn this opportunity into a deep run.

2. Nope, no preference at all. Gotta find out who we'll play, and then prepare to work our butts off to win.

3. I always like to sit in my stall after the game with my top half off and just relax for a few minutes in the room chatting about the game. Just the small stuff like weird bounces that you missed and things like that.

4. An ability to adapt and be willing to adjust your plans as you go. It has to be especially difficult in a league like the E where rosters turn over so frequently, you need to be very fluid with your approach to ensure that you don't box yourself in too much. I think that it's important to look at your season and decide what your team is midway through and prepare to either add to it or adjust for the future depending on the situation that you're in.

5. I've always been a sucker for Monopoly. We had different versions of it growing up (regular, Canadian, NHL, Simpsons), so we always played it as a family.

6. Finally, the tastiest question on the list. I think that I could eat 8 or so before having to tap out, but that still wouldn't be very expensive!!

1. We are in 3rd place and it looks like that's where we will finish. Are you happy with that looking back at the season?

I am very happy for you, hope you all can make some noise in the playoffs.

I'm not to familiar with how the matchups have gone for the Watchmen this season, but I hope you play the favorable matchup.

A nice hot shower to relax and reflect on the game.

4. What do you think is the most important quality to be a good GM in the league?

Being a presence for your team and being approachable.

I love Kingsburg, its a game where you are a Lord and you are competing against other Lords, for the Kings favor.  It takes place over 5 years and after each Spring/Summer/Fall you go to court which is the best part of the game.

I don't know, maybe like 3 or 4 if i really hated myself and tried.

Week Ending 10/8

beat rome edition!

1. What will be the biggest challenge when matching up against a strong Rome team?

2. Are you a fan of the new playoff format where only the top four teams make it? Or would you prefer a wild card round be played?

3. If you had to choose between winning some individual awards or winning the cup with your team, which would you choose and why?

4. Do you have a lucky piece of equipment that you keep around? Why or why not?

5. You have been tasked with coming up with a mascot concept for the team, but the mascot absolutely can not be a lighthouse. What is your idea?

6. The NHL will be starting up shortly. Are you optimistic for your favourite team heading into the season? Or are you more worried about their chances?

6 minutes ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 10/8

beat rome edition!

1. What will be the biggest challenge when matching up against a strong Rome team?

2. Are you a fan of the new playoff format where only the top four teams make it? Or would you prefer a wild card round be played?

3. If you had to choose between winning some individual awards or winning the cup with your team, which would you choose and why?

5. You have been tasked with coming up with a mascot concept for the team, but the mascot absolutely can not be a lighthouse. What is your idea?

6. The NHL will be starting up shortly. Are you optimistic for your favourite team heading into the season? Or are you more worried about their chances?

1. Balancing the need to break through offensively against a stingy team with slowing down a high scoring bunch. We gave up fewer goals this season, but scored less as well, so it's difficult to push to score while making sure that we also aren't giving it up going the other way.

2. I think that with 6 teams in the league the 1-4 format is the best option. I feel like having 5 of the 6 teams make the playoffs would just make it way too easy to get in, there has to be some value to the regular season.

3. This is a tough one because I'd rather win a Cup, but I'd really want to be a large part of the reason for the win as well. For example, winning a Cup as a 4th line player would be fine and all, but I don't know that I'd feel like I contributed as much as I'd like to in that scenario. That being said, I also wouldn't want to win a bunch of awards on a team that misses the playoffs or squeaks in and gets bounced early. Is it too much to be greedy and ask for a Cup and awards? 😜

4. I've never been a lucky piece of equipment guy, more of a lucky routine guy. Put the equipment on in the same order every time, hit the crossbar and the posts in the warmup kind of deal.

5. I walking hot dog 10000%. If we can't be a lighthouse, we'll be the Brats dammit!

6. As a Leaf fan, I am conditioned to be optimistic in hopes for the season while being prepared to be let down again. That being said, I don't know exactly what to expect because I doubt that the roster as currently constructed will be the one that they finish the season with. I do think that they are likely a playoff team in a tough division this year, it'll be imperative to get off to a good start and try to claim the top spot in the division with home ice through the first 2 rounds.

Go Brats!! :brt::brt::brt:

Consistency. I think one of our challenges this season has been consistency game-to-game and that could easily be our downfall against a Rome team I think we're better than (as it turns out, this was the case 😭 )

For the VHLE? Yeah, I guess it makes sense. I don't particularly care for a wild card round and we recently contracted, so it makes sense that not everyone is included necessarily.

The cup obviously. I've never been much of an individual accolades person and I'm OK with personal success only after team success.

Absolutely not. Spanish Moon Moth is someone who believes in their personal fortitude, strength, and skill over superstition (though if the superstition helps I suspect SMM would be open to the idea).

It'll be a destroyed seafaring ship, with the implication being that our maritime infrastructure would fail without us (plus it'd be a weird homage to the angry boats).

I don't follow the NHL. I know it's crazy, but it's true nonetheless. I've only been playing make-pretend hockey for like a decade.