"Pay to Win" Really a Necessary Evil?

KC15

11 hours ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

2. Paying people for specialized work is generally a good idea, no matter the discipline. Legit graphic designers can make bank on the open market. Even if they would do it for free for the love of the league, I think it's ethical to provide somebody with providing that sort of long-lasting impact on your league something to make it worth their time

Came here to say this. Pay artists. It’s such an undervalued skill in the economy these days. When half our TPE earners are graphic artists, it’s extra important to help promote the arts where we can. Asking artists to do something for you for free is bad practice generally anywhere in life. 

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, bigAL said:

Came here to say this. Pay artists. It’s such an undervalued skill in the economy these days. When half our TPE earners are graphic artists, it’s extra important to help promote the arts where we can. Asking artists to do something for you for free is bad practice generally anywhere in life. 

It also just protects us legally. We aren’t just using something someone made us for free and saying we “bought” it in TPE. We own the exclusive rights to the logos we purchase, they belong to the league.

I think the best argument for our current system is that it still promotes activity. Over half of the TPE you earn from donations cannot simply be claimed. 6 out of the 11 TPE that you can receive from donating is in the form of a doubles week which requires you to do a point task. Of the three leagues you mentioned we're the least bad for "pay to win" in that regard, at least in my own honest opinion. I'm not in the SBA or EFL anymore, but from what I understand they have a system in place that allows you to pay and receive capped TPE for the entire season. That allows anyone who can afford it to buy it and then dip for the rest of the season activity-wise and still have a good player. Leagues that allow you to earn with very little effort seem to end up with very few active members in the long run. (GOMHL, rip).

I do not believe an extra 11 TPE is necessarily "pay to win" either, especially with the randomness of the sim engine. Once a player reaches approximately that 700 TPA mark, all players success is basically in the hands of the sim league gods at that point. My last player's best season was in his last and after he heavily regressed, just as a personal anecdote in that regard. Very thought provoking article and it's interesting how the money league users view us that way. I honestly had no idea. 10/10