VHL Demographics Survey 2 Results

Hogan

First off, I would like to thank everybody who took a little bit of time out of their days to answer the survey. I first thought of this idea just looking through old VHL posts. I found one about a demographic survey. Over five years ago in September of 2016, Eagles conducted his VHL Demographics Survey. He concluded the following;

“Gender: Shockingly we are a sausage fest

Male - 98%

Female - 2%

Race/Ethnicity: Mostly white

White - 90.2%

Other - 5.9%

Asian - 2%

Hispanic - 1%

Age: Mostly between the ages of 18-31, so we young millennial buhls

14-17 - 2%

18-22 - 33.33%

23-26 - 31.4%

27-31-27.5%

32+ - 5.9%

Highest Level of Education Completed or Plan on Completing: Lots of college peoples

High School/GED - 17.6%

Trade School - 5.9%

Associate 2 year degree - 7.8%

Bachelor 4 year degree - 56.9%

Master's degree - 11.8%

Estimated Household Income in US Dollar: Incomes are all over the place, don't really see a target group here

0-20,000 - 15.7%

20-40,000 - 23.5%

40-60,000 - 19.6%

60-80,000 - 17.6%

80-100,000 - 9.8%

100,000+ - 13.7%

Where do you live?: No major regions really stick out here

Central U.S. -21.6%

U.S. East Coast - 11.8%

U.S. West Coast - none

Canada East Coast - 11.8%

Central Canada - 25.5%

Canada West Coast - 13.5%

UK - 3.9%

Other - 11.8%

LifeStyles: Most of us are both gamers and sports fan

Enjoy the arts - 27.5%

Foodie - 37.3%

Gamer - 78.4%

Online buyer - 49%

Photography - 11.8%

Sports Fan - 98%”

I conducted a nearly identical quiz and my results were the following:

95.7% Male ( 66 )

2.9% Other (2)

1.4% Female (Sam)

Race/Ethnicity: 70 Responses

88.6% White (62)

4.3% Asian (3)

2.9% Mixed (2)

1.4% Hispanic (1)

1.4% Indian (1)

1.4% Native (1)

28.6% 24-29 (20)

22.9% 30-36 (16)

21.4% 14-19 (15)

20% 19-23 (14)

5.7% 37+ (4)

1.4% 13 or under (1)

Highest Education You Have or Plan on Completing: 69 Responses

42% Bachelors (29)

18.8% High School/GED (13)

17.4% Masters Degree (12)

13% Associate (9)

7.2% Trades (5)

I skipped the household incomes question.

Where do you live: 69 Responses

27.5% Eastern USA (19)

17.3% Eastern Canada (12)

15.7% Central Canada (11)

15.7% Western Canada (11)

13% Europe (9)

7.1% Central USA (5)

2.9% Oceania (2)

Check The “Lifestyles” That Apply To You: 70 Responses

92.9% Sports Fan (65)

80% Gamers (56)

52.9% Nerds (37)

41,4% Enjoyer of Arts (29)

37.1% Foodies (26)

30% Fitness (21)

5.7% Photography (4)

Additional 16 Answers

Similarities And Differences

It seems that over the past six years, the ratio of genders hasn't changed much. We still are a heavily male dominated community as there is still only one female that took the survey. Of course, this does not mean that there is only one female league-wide, just that one took the quiz. Had every member in the league filled this survey out, chances are the ratios would remain around the same. The main difference in the league now is our addition of other genders. We’ve had two members using they/them pronouns join the league and complete the survey since then.

Race/Ethnicity 

Once again, the league hasn’t changed much demographic wise. Still occupied by a predominantly White membership, 62 out of 70 people in the league are White. Eagles quiz had 90% of members identifying themselves as White. Both numbers are quite similar in both surveys. Eagles had a 5.9% “other” category which in my survey showed to be a mix of different races. I had eight total members who are Hispanic, Asian, mixed, Indian or Native. This was also the first and only time a response was not clicked, Black.

Age is the most interesting category to me. In 2016, one member clicked Eagles 14-17 prompt. In 2022, 15 members clicked my 14-18 prompt. In my survey, the league is the most balanced it's ever been age-wise. With the exclusion of four 37+ members and one 13 year old, everyone else is evenly spread from 14-36. This sudden increase in younger members can definitely be associated with how much technology is available nowadays. Kids have phones and computers at younger ages now and are able to discover things such as the VHL at a faster rate. Nowadays, the VHL can be stumbled upon in a ton of different ways. Browning reddit, watching youtube or just finding it on the app store isn’t something as common as the mid 2010’s. With the addition of discord in August 2018, the VHL now appeals to a younger demographic who doesn’t need to stay on forums. 

Education

The VHL somehow remains a pretty educated place. Since 2016, the percentage of people with a bachelor's degree has decreased, while people with a masters has increased. Other than that, numbers have remained relatively consistent. 

I skipped over the household income question for no real reason. In my mind there was no real reason to ask it. The numbers would however be quite interesting with COVID and its effects, but probably not a realistic representation.

Where do you Live

Nothing really surprising came out of this question. The VHL is an english dominated community and has seen mainly english speakers join us. This results in a ton of members across the US and Canada. About 84% of people in Eagles survey were from either Canada or USA, with the hockey country Canada being on top. Six years later, Canada is still on top. Combined with the USA, these two countries are still responsible for 83% of members. Nowadays, we do see many more European countries being represented through members in the league, even if we are still primarily in North America. Eagles article has an 11.8% “other” category making it hard to pin down exactly where they’re from. Chances are they are from other European countries or perhaps Oceania, as two of my survey’s members were.

Lifestyles

Lifestyles have been pretty much the same. We are still diseased with the presence of too many gamers and nerds. Being a hockey simulation league, it’s no surprise to see still more than 90% of us describe ourselves as sport fans. In 2016, one person said they were not a sports fan, that number has since risen to five. One thing that Eagles survey lacked was a section to add your own interests. I did add this option, here are the highlights.

Boob Master

Badass Motherfucker

Jewish (This one isn’t really funny or anything, it just made me realize I should’ve added a religion section)

Chicken Nugget Enthusiast 

Wacking the Meat

Phallic Art Collector (Whoever you are, if this is true please share your collection with the league)

I also received a slew of other responses, mostly genuine activities. 

And that’s it. No matter when this survey is done we’ll have similar answers. It’s nice to see the league has become somewhat more diverse, even if it has remained the same. The real change in the VHL is the members' behaviors. And so I invite somebody else to do this quiz in a few years time. Anybody, chances are I won't be around to do it. Maybe a special 10th anniversary VHL demographics survey. I bet you much wont change.

Edited by Hogan

1 minute ago, ajwllmsn said:

Whoever said they’re making $100k… reach my discord pms please

key word is household income. That could mean that two people in the family make 50k+

Just now, Beaviss said:

key word is household income. That could mean that two people in the family make 50k+

Ah, well hopefully I can still be adopted at 20 years old

2 minutes ago, Squidward2 said:

I'll adopt you. Problem is I have $10 in my bank account so I could maybe squeeze us a mcdouble at the dons.

That sounds pretty alright to me

1 hour ago, Beaviss said:

or in fong's case, he makes pennies and she's his sugar momma

review time: This one feels quite different from other Media Spot's that I usually review but I really enjoyed this, it's interesting. It may seem odd but I actually like that you kept the presentation pretty simple, it's easy to read and understand and the spacing is good. I like your summary on each question to, the comparison helps with understanding what has changed over the years. I like that you just stuck with normal and bold text, although I think you could have made each poll question in bold to but it's a small thing. Overall 9.5/10

4 hours ago, Hogan said:

First o

Jewish (This one isn’t really funny or anything, it just made me realize I should’ve added a religion section)

I would refrain for it. For the same reason as with finances: I do not think it adds anything to the value of the survey (and lets be honest: for most of us the answer is 'Hockey' anyway😉)