Season 40 Entry Draft Rankings...The Numbers (S37/S38/S39/S40)

Mike

Season40_5.png

Let me apologize in advance since this was originally going to be the initial mock draft for Season 40.  I then remembered in the past I had been comparing draft classes at the trade deadline as well as projecting their final totals come draft day.  Now we have enough data to go back and see Season 37 thru to Season 40.  This will give us proof behind a doubt if the Season 40 Draft Class is not only one of the best classes in recent memory but potentially of all time.

Before we get into the specifics we did have nearly twenty draftees show up to practice again.  That number is likely higher as some reporting lags behind and we don’t see the results on their official player roster page till weeks later.  Also quickly the initial mock draft will be held next week most likely as part one being the first round with a second round mock part two the week after.  Warning there will be numbers in this edition of the draft rankings.

How Good Is the Season 40 Draft Class?

Draft_Recaps.png

This Draft Class if indescribably amazing that’s how good it is.  Currently the draft sits at around 3250 practice hours.  There is several weeks left to improve before the season ends and then the post-season begins.  Many of these players will see a tremendous gain in pre-draft activities (achievement tracker).  That is where my conservative estimate of 3800 practice hours by draft day comes from.  If we see improvements like we have in the past with over thirty players putting in work the sky is the limit.  In that case we could even see more than 4000 practice hours but our estimates take into account 15-18 players and not 25-30 for the remaining of the season.

The Season 18 Draft Class is often one that is looked back on as one of the if not the best draft of all time.  To help put into perspective how great this draft is we’ve already seen a gain of 15% in terms of practice hours.  Again we still have weeks to go and this draft looks to be about 35-40% more talented in terms of talent and sheer number of draftees compared to the Season 18 Draft.  That draft got us well known players such as Daisuke Kanou, Anton Brekker, Oliver Scarlett, Tarik Saeijs, and Aidan Shaw to name just a handful.

Many around the league who are part of the newer generation or are younger players might not know much about that Season.  To help put this into another perspective we can look to the past three drafts Season 37, Season 38, and Season 39 all of which were seen as good to great.  Remember that these drafts are a pale comparison to what Season 40 has to offer.  Season 37 brought in current VHL superstars Slaeter Fjorsstrom, Tom Slaughter, Logan Laich (lolz), Kimmo Salo, and Travis Boychuk to name a handful there.  Season 38 has given us the emergence of Vojczek Svoboda, Bruno Wolf, Don Draper, Dimothenis Vlasis, and Brock Waldron as just a taste of what was there.  Season 39 we are just seeing players like James Faraday, Koji Yamazaki, and Tyson Stokes emerge as the next generation of superstars.  All of these players and potential VHL Hall of Famers are going to be swallowed up by an endless wave of Season 40 talent.

• Admin

Yeah, I mean for all the good of S37, you're looking at 24ish good prospects and by the 4th round it died down. Depth-wise, S40 is on an unstoppable roll. You're looking at S5 levels and the drafts before.

Between S18 and S37, I'd say a look at S27 and S33 would be nice. I'm sure they'll be behind but those were the best drafts of the recent generations. Maybe S31, the first expansion draft.

Yeah, I mean for all the good of S37, you're looking at 24ish good prospects and by the 4th round it died down. Depth-wise, S40 is on an unstoppable roll. You're looking at S5 levels and the drafts before.

Between S18 and S37, I'd say a look at S27 and S33 would be nice. I'm sure they'll be behind but those were the best drafts of the recent generations. Maybe S31, the first expansion draft.

I havent checked but it feels like before Slaughter shattered every TPE revord for juniors, the top picks didnt nearly have as many TPE as they do now. Even with the great recreates we had in S33 I think the majority of them still ended up between 100 and 200 and nobody wouldve even dreamt of getting close to 300. Quite the development within just one generation of players.

• Admin

Moher had high TPE in S35 and I went in with 250 or 270 or something with Chershenko in S27. I don't think either of us beat Kanou from S18, which was shortly before the change to the carryover rules (it was 15% in 6th season so you can imagine what the totals could potentially have been today). Bencharski (another sterling player) might have done well in S19.

So, there was a bit of a lull I guess and obviously Slaughter set a record but it's been kind of up and down for 20 seasons now.

I didnt run the numbers of many other "good" drafts but I remember looking briefly over some of them and thought these don't add up nearly as high.  I think this draft could have the most TPE of any draft ever.

Edited by Mike

29 is the worst class since I've been back to the league you and my player were the only 2 to break 700 and Al Wilson was 3rd? at 300 (I know thats probably not true but it was close to something like that lol).

• Admin

29 is the worst class since I've been back to the league you and my player were the only 2 to break 700 and Al Wilson was 3rd? at 300 (I know thats probably not true but it was close to something like that lol).

yeah and neither of you were even part of the draft

Typically, Vasteras had three of the top four picks.

yeah and neither of you were even part of the draft

Typically, Vasteras had three of the top four picks.

Brandon Merritt and Walter Mitty were some of the worst #3 and #4 selections in history. Although Walter Mitty was a great member for the time he was here!

Austin Gow/Thomas Corcoran didn't do badly.

Corcoran 691

Gow 401

Maybe Nikolai Chershenko too, although his total retired TPE isn't on Wahl's player page.

Still a ridiculously poor class, considering the best two weren't even in the draft.

Edited by diamond_ace