Unofficial VHL S85 Entry Draft Top 10 Rankings

Unofficial VHL S85 Entry Draft Top 10 Rankings

Yasi.png 

Hello everyone! I thought I would take a crack at a look at the top 10 draft eligible players for the S85 VHL Entry Draft and give my thoughts on them. I just want to say that all of this is my opinion and just because you're not on the list, doesn't mean you could potentially become a great player! Thanks everyone and I hope you enjoy it! Also, for goalies I made it so they had to have a minimum of 20 games played for their stats, that way someone with 5 games played and like a .950 sv% doesn't count towards the ranking.

1. Matt Murdock 

Position: Goalie

Team: Istanbul Red Wolves (VHLE)

Stats: GP: 51 | Record: 34-14-1 | Sv%: 0.927 (5th) | GAA: 2.39 (2nd) | SO: 3 (T-4th)

User: @Acydburn

Matt Murdock is the number one ranked player eligible for the VHL S85 Entry Draft and the highest ranked goalie in the draft, and for good reason. Matt Murdock spent their season in the E, playing with the Istanbul Red Wolves, and is leading them to a finals appearance and also potentially a championship for the Red Wolves. To say that Murdock is performing is an understatement, this goalie has already showed that they can compete in the E, and that the VHL isn't very far away, as they should be ready to compete the next season. We could potentially see goaltenders not go early in this draft, due to the sheer amount of goalies in this draft, but the first goalie drafted in the VHL will almost certainly be Matt Murdock. Not only is this player one of the best goalies eligible for the draft, they're already one of the best goalies in the E. It will be very exciting to see what Matt Murdock lands and I think they have a very bright future ahead!

2. Henry Eagles

Position: Right Wing

Team: Bratislava Watchmen (VHLE)

Stats: GP: 72 | G: 11 | A: 14 | PTS: 25 | +/-: 0 | SH%: 6.40

User: @Greg_Di

Up next, we have the highest ranked skater in the draft and the second projected overall player in the draft, Henry Eagles. Henry Eagles also decided to spend their season in the E, playing for the Bratislava Watchmen and unfortunately they faced a tough loss to the Istanbul Red Wolves in the first round of the playoffs, which was the semi-finals. Eagles has showed that they can compete at a very high level and that they can already slot into a lineup next season in the VHL. Not only is Eagles already a great two-way forward, one of the best in the draft, they also are a great addition to the locker room and any team that selects them will be very happy to have such a player on the team. I think Henry Eagles has a very good chance at going first overall and could surprise a lot of people in the seasons to come!

3. Daniel Weaver

Position: Left Wing

Team: Houston Bulls (VHLM)

Stats: GP: 72 | G: 35 | A: 45 | PTS: 80 | +/-: 25 | SH%: 9.49

User: @ThePerfectNut

Slotting in at third on the rankings and the first player on the list to be playing in the VHLM is a Left Winger Daniel Weaver. Weaver was an important part of the Houston Bulls success this season, helping to lead them to a playoff appearance, only to unfortunately fall to the Halifax 21st in the first round, who are absolutely on fire. Regardless, Weaver had an impressive season, putting up PPG numbers and being a big part of his team's success this season in the M. Weaver out of the top three skaters has some of the most character, and passion for his team. He expects to be the best and wants to get the best out of his teammates as well, making them play at a higher level than expected. I believe Weaver to be one of the biggest characters in the draft, and any team looking for someone like this will be looking to pick him up early in the draft!

4. Phil Strasmore

Position: Defenseman

Stats: GP: 71 | G: 26 | A: 52 | PTS: 78 | +/-: +2 | SH%: 11.71

User: @Phil

Up next on fourth place in the rankings and the first defenseman on the list is Phil Strasmore, a defenseman for the Houston Bulls in the VHLM. Just like Daniel Weaver, Phil Strasmore was a huge part of the Houston Bulls success, leading the defensive core and being a key part of their success. Strasmore is the most intriguing defenseman at the draft, and with this class really lacking some top tier defenseman, Phil Strasmore could be a huge pick that could potentially slot into the top three. The top three in this draft though seem to be almost set, however, again I could see Strasmore potentially going top three. Strasmore is a great character on and off the ice and a great teammate to have in the locker room, making everyone around him have a better time. This is someone you're going to be potentially looking to build a franchise around in the future and any team that picks him up will be extremely pleased with the player they are getting!

5. John Jameson

Position: Center

Team: Philadelphia Reapers (VHLM)

Stats: GP: 72 | G: 45 (5th) | A: 52 | PTS: 97 (T-4th) | +/-: 15 | SH%: 10.74

User: @Frank

Coming in at fifth on the list is John Jameson, a Center for the Philadelphia Reapers in the VHLM. John Jameson had an impressive season in the M, spending part of his season with the San Diego Marlins before he was traded to the Philadelphia Reapers. This player is one of the most offensive electric players in the draft, putting up great numbers in the VHLM and will look to dominate in the VHL in the future. On top of that, Jameson was a huge part of the team's success in the back half of the regular season, although they fell short in the first round of the VHLM playoffs, falling to the Mexico City Kings 4-1. One potential hole in the game for John Jameson is that since they are such a highly explosive offensive talent, their defense is potentially a bit lack luster, but their offense more than makes up for it. I could see this player being an elite scorer in the VHL in the future, helping to lead his team offensively, wherever he ends up!

6. Henry Tucker Jr

Team: Mexico City Kings (VHLM)

Stats: GP: 48 | Record: 26-13-8 | Sv%: 0.906 (6th) | GAA: 2.11 (3rd) | SO: 7 (2nd)

User: @NSG

Slotting in as the sixth ranked prospect and potential draftee is Henry Tucker Jr, the goalie for the Mexico City Kings in the VHLM. Henry Tucker Jr was the main net minder for the Mexico City Kings in the VHLM, and was also drafted first overall. Not only did this player have huge pressure to have to perform every single game, but they also have the pressure of being the first overall pick in the draft, and they exceeded expectations. Currently, Henry Tucker Jr is leading the Kings in the playoffs to a second round appearance against the first seed Las Vegas Aces and they are looking to continue their dominance. This player is vocal when they need be, but they can bring their team together with the few words that they do say. This player is potential future leader, and one of the best goalies in the draft, something a team will for sure be looking at come draft time!

7. Karl Pedersen

Team: Mississauga Hounds (VHLM)

Stats: GP: 63 | Record: 32-26-5 | Sv%: .909 (5th) | GAA: 2.57 (6th) | SO: 3 (6th)

User: @JeffD

Up next at seventh overall on the list is Karl Pedersen, the goalie for the Mississauga Hounds in the VHLM. Pedersen started off the season being the second overall pick of the VHLM Draft, finding themselves on a rebuilding San Diego Marlins team. After a while though, the San Diego Marlins would deal Karl Pedersen to the Mississauga Hounds in an attempt to have Pedersen win a trophy before being promoted, however that dream was cut short. The Hounds would end up getting crushed in the first round of the playoffs against seventh seeded Ottawa Lynx, and their season was over just like that. However, Pedersen despite that had an amazing season, being top ten in multiple categories and will be one of the premier goalies in this draft. Despite playing on a bottom tier team for half the season, they still put up impressive numbers and this player will be a great pick up for any team needing a goalie in the future!

8. Jesse Teno

Team: Saskatoon Wild (VHLM)

Stats: GP: 71 | Record: 22-47-2 | Sv%: .904 (7th) | GAA: 3.20 | SO: 5 (T-4th)

User: @aimkin

Coming in at eighth overall on the rankings is Jesse Teno, the goaltender for the Saskatoon Wild in the VHLM. Alright, I'm going to say this right now, this player will be the steal of the draft. Jesse Teno ended up going thirteenth overall to the Saskatoon Wild in the VHLM Draft and it looked like they weren't going to be a huge part of Saskatoon's season, as Saskatoon struggle this season, only to make the playoffs and lose to Las Vegas. However, Jesse Teno exceeded expectations and single handedly carried this team to a playoff spot, including taking a couple games off the first seeded Las Vegas Aces. On top of that, this person seems to be a very active voice off the ice, and overall seems to be like the most intriguing first generation player in the draft class. I seriously think whoever drafts this player is not only getting a superstar goalie, but is also getting someone who will be willing to stick around long time and be a key contributor in the locker room for multiple seasons to come!

9. Astro Singh

Position: Left Wing

Team: Saskatoon Wild (VHLM)

Stats: GP: 72 | G: 38 (T-9th) | A: 34 | PTS: 72 | +/-: -34 | SH%: 11.52

User: @8Ovechkin8

Our second to last prospect on the list, slotting in at ninth on the ranking is Astro Singh, a left winger for the Saskatoon Wild in the VHLM. This player had a great season on a struggling team, which was the Saskatoon Wild. They didn't have much help and despite that, were still top ten in goals, and also helped lead their team to a playoff spot, even though it seemed impossible. On top of that, this player is a great two-way forward that will be a great addition to any team in the VHL in the future. Off the ice, this person is a great person to have in the locker room and overall brings great vibes to a locker room, something every team is looking for. I think this player will be a great addition wherever they end up and teams will be happy to have this type of player!

10. Jani Karppinen

Position: Defenseman

Stats: GP: 72 | G: 18 | A: 61 (9th) | PTS: 79 | +/-: 42 | SH%: 8.82

User: @ShawnGlade

The last and final prospect on the list, slotting in at tenth is Jani Karppinen, a defenseman for the Houston Bulls in the VHLM. Despite the Houston Bulls having a super strong regular season, they unfortunately fell to the red hot Halifax 21st in the second round of the playoffs. However, Jani Karppinen still had a great season in the VHLM, putting up an impressive sixty one assists in their seventy two games, good for ninth in the entire league. Karppinen is a great offensive defenseman and can bring lots of weapons to even strength, and being a weapon on the powerplay. With the lack of defenseman in this draft, I could easily see a team potentially taking Karppinen higher then they are ranked, so that is something to watch out for in the draft! Regardless of this, I think a team would be very happy to have an offensive weapon on their blue line for seasons to come!

Honorable Mentions:

#11 D - Tater Tottingham (MEX) - @Trunkxolotl

An elite two-way defenseman that led defenseman in scoring in the M with 27G 62A 89PTS and a +29. Also, a leader in the locker room and a potential player that could sneak up into the top ten.

#14 D - Reid Johnson (LVA) - @TopTiddee2

A great offensive defenseman that put up 50+ assists in the M. On top of that, a great active first generation player and a key part of the Las Vegas Aces run this season.

#18 LW - Larry Abass Jr (LVA) - @RileyL

An offensive powerhouse and an absolute weapon in the M, putting up 80 points and a +70 for the Las Vegas Aces. Another super active first generation player in the locker room.

#20 G - Jeremy Swayman (MEX) - @Agito

The backup goaltender for the Kings, but still have an amazing season for them. On top of that, they are an active leader in the locker room and would be a solid fit for a team looking for a goalie in the future.

#24 LW - Nikolas Kauppi (MEX) - @Tetricide

This player might not be the most flashy player, but they are a key piece to the Kings roster for this season and the future season. Also a very active first generation player in the locker room!

I put a good amount of hard work into this, so I hope you guys enjoy it! I also know I missed out on some really good players, but I can't list everything single player or I'd be here all day. :(

Words: 2000+

Weeks Claimed: Next four weeks, starting with 8/14 onwards.

Edited by badcolethetitan

Just now, aimkin said:

Thank you thank you for your kind words! I hope to keep it up and earn that ranking spot. 

I have high hopes! I think there is a bunch of potential in this draft class, but people have to live up to it. :)

Thank you for this honorable mention. It is my duty to keep the team on track. To be the wall against the greatest of this league. I'm glad I got to play with Mexico this season. I hope to be drafted by a team that will have the ability to go far in the game even if there is a rebuild! 

PS: Thanks to you @badcolethetitan for being my GM for this season with my new player. You have the ability and order to be a GM. You have the heart for the job and I wish you the best in the future. I'm glad I was able to introduce you to what the VHL world is all about! 

unknown.png 

Edited by Agito

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Great Article - though my stats are incorrect. They don’t include the stats I had on SAN Diego haha. I think I finished with 76 points this season :P VHLM tryna bring me down

You’re the only one I messed up for stats. Ouch. Fixing it :( 

10 hours ago, badcolethetitan said:

You’re the only one I messed up for stats. Ouch. Fixing it :( 

Haha it's not on you, my man! I was doing a podcast and looking at my player page thinking... something looks amiss here.. It doesn't total the stats if you're traded mid-season. It just goes with whichever you end up on . 

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Haha it's not on you, my man! I was doing a podcast and looking at my player page thinking... something looks amiss here.. It doesn't total the stats if you're traded mid-season. It just goes with whichever you end up on . 

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

Yeah I saw that it’s so sad :(