So I know grading can't be easy, but

Caillean

Can we either get some more graders or get the ones we have to get it together? I get that Sunday is the day it's supposed to be graded by, but I see tons of sigs/media spots that have been up for days, while graders have been online and active, yet they're still not graded.

All I can say that grading is often a thankless job that looks a hell of a lot easier than it actually is. Yes, it only takes like 5 minutes tops to do a grade, but the continual grind wears on you. If anything, be thankful that most things are graded within 2-3 days, as it wasn't always like that. 

It's sort of like Jardy's simming: When everything is going right, no one really notices, but as soon as it goes wrong, even if it's just for a couple days, everyone notices, and complaints are heard (and this isn't a shot at you, just a general statement)

Edited by flyersfan1493

All I can say that grading is often a thankless job that looks a hell of a lot easier than it actually is. Yes, it only takes like 5 minutes tops to do a grade, but the continual grind wears on you. If anything, be thankful that most things are graded within 2-3 days, as it wasn't always like that. 

Well that's exactly why I made sure that I mentioned that I do understand that it can't be an easy job. No job like that is ever really easy. That said, it doesn't change the fact that it's still their job. I've worked thankless jobs outside the internet that wore down on me, but I had to do them because it was my job that I was getting paid for. It shouldn't be any different here. I would even understand the graders being busy, but when I see them online quite often doing other stuff, I just don't know how to feel. The first thing I've done every day since I got the surveyor job is check that thread. And yes, I realize that the jobs are WORLDS apart. But I'd also feel bad if I skipped out on sending the surveys for a few days just because I happened to be worn down from doing it. I am thankful that most things are graded on time, but I dunno. I just don't think "just be grateful that it gets done on time" should be good enough.

People have lives and this time for young adults is pretty bad in terms of school

I know at least one grader that this is applicable to, maybe they should be put on back-up grading and replace them with someone who has the time to do the job. It's not the grader's fault that they have other obligations outside the league, but the league will continue to go on and it's needs need to be met.

I'm not sure if this is how it works, or if it's a flat rate, but perhaps put in an incentive program where if you grade a higher percentile of the PTs you get a higher rate of TPE. I.e. Grader 1 grades 80% of the PTs, they get 3 TPE, Grader 2 grades 20%, they get 1 TPE. More of a reason to have graders want to grade more and reward them for their efforts.

I understand how some of these jobs can be very tiresome as I'm an updater on SHL, but once my teams are done if I have no other things that require my attention, I'll do some other teams that need to be updated. It's an annoying job, but it's a crucial one in keeping the league running smoothly.

Edited by jaladolar

People have lives and this time for young adults is pretty bad in terms of school

Well for sure, and I'm not trying to imply that VHL should take precedence over real life. But if it's that bad, maybe step back and try to get some other graders? And that still doesn't explain how some are finding time to come in and chat and be active for an hour or so but not grade anything in that time.

these be fade catching words you be speakin

TF, Gorlab's Jamie now?

Grading isn't that bad imo, you do gooders expect everything done in hours :P

I posted my PT 5 days ago lol, DT did a large chunk from Monday and I don't expect him to do everything, but to get a grade before the week rolls over so I can have my player updated for the new week would be awesome.

so because three media spots are from 5 days ago, grading is behind?

The numbers don't add up here

*shrug* It's not just those (to me anyway), guess I'm just not overly fond of how often tons of the grading is left til last minute Sunday night.

I understand your opinion but I will stand up tooth and nail for grading becuase I personally know how shitty and thankless the job can be, and right now the grading crew is going a good job, maybe not perfect but i'll take good on something that doesn't help thier lives at all

I posted my PT 5 days ago lol, DT did a large chunk from Monday and I don't expect him to do everything, but to get a grade before the week rolls over so I can have my player updated for the new week would be awesome.

I'm trying really hard not to pull out the "you're new" card, because usually I think it's pretty stupid, but...you're relatively new to the league. Not too long ago, 4-7 days used to be the average time it took to get regular point tasks graded, while bios and RPs were anywhere from 7-10 days, and it wasn't exactly rare for it to take longer than these averages. I'm pretty sure the grading FAQ even says that's still the average time frame, even though that isn't really true anymore. Grading has improved immensely since the move to the new site.

I'm not sure if this is how it works, or if it's a flat rate, but perhaps put in an incentive program where if you grade a higher percentile of the PTs you get a higher rate of TPE. I.e. Grader 1 grades 80% of the PTs, they get 3 TPE, Grader 2 grades 20%, they get 1 TPE. More of a reason to have graders want to grade more and reward them for their efforts.

I can't speak to how the graders' compensation works now, but I am pretty sure the terms are much softer than they used to be...  Why it was reduced I couldn't tell you.  IIFC it was 10 GFX/ 8 MS / 5 RP or BIO.

I'm trying really hard not to pull out the "you're new" card, because usually I think it's pretty stupid, but...you're relatively new to the league. Not too long ago, 4-7 days used to be the average time it took to get regular point tasks graded, while bios and RPs were anywhere from 7-10 days. I'm pretty sure the grading FAQ even says that's still the average time frame, even though that isn't really true anymore. Grading has improved immensely since the move to the new site.

That's good, I'm glad it's improved. That said, this is the suggestion and complaints forum. Just because it's improved doesn't mean that there isn't still room for improvement, so I posted a suggestion. I don't understand why I'm basically being shut down with "It's better than it is so you should be grateful". I'm not saying that I'm not grateful, I am. But if it's something that could be improved upon, I don't see why I can't suggest more improvement.

I can't speak to how the graders' compensation works now, but I am pretty sure the terms are much softer than they used to be...  Why it was reduced I couldn't tell you.  IIFC it was 10 GFX/ 8 MS / 5 RP or BIO.

I'm pretty sure that grading compensation is still 4 writing PTs for 1 TPE and 8 graphics for 1 TPE.

It was reduced because not only did it take forever to get grades in, but it became increasingly hard to hire graders due to a lack of applications.

I'm pretty sure that grading compensation is still 4 writing PTs for 1 TPE and 8 graphics for 1 TPE.

It was reduced because not only did it take forever to get grades in, but it became increasingly hard to hire graders due to a lack of applications.

Right on.  My only real thought about that in regards to the reduced amount of grades per TPE (at least writing-related) is that wouldn't you want there to always be more grading capacity than actual available grades?  That way there's always a need to grade prior to others, otherwise you'd be shit out of luck to get your weekly compensation.  It would seem that in order to facilitate that with 4 grades per TPE, you'd need a lot more graders.  

I'm trying really hard not to pull out the "you're new" card, because usually I think it's pretty stupid, but...you're relatively new to the league. Not too long ago, 4-7 days used to be the average time it took to get regular point tasks graded, while bios and RPs were anywhere from 7-10 days, and it wasn't exactly rare for it to take longer than these averages. I'm pretty sure the grading FAQ even says that's still the average time frame, even though that isn't really true anymore. Grading has improved immensely since the move to the new site.

I've never understood how this is the standard argument around here by more senior members. It's the old "I had to walk uphill both ways in the snow because it was 80 years ago and cars weren't a standard mode of transportation." If we live in the past you can't move to the future, and because the system was so poorly run in the past doesn't make it ok to have a poorly run system now. Progression is THE biggest part of a sim league, if players can't progress their characters, they go inactive, and the league dwindles.

With that said, the system is running smoothly when everyone does their jobs, and I never said grading was behind (in response to Smarch if that was directed at me). All I said was my media that I handed in 5 days ago hasn't been graded, which means the skating I've been waiting all week to update won't even end up in my updates unless it gets graded tonight in the next half an hour, and I have to hope it gets graded before Kendrick updates me tommorow.

Also these aren't thankless jobs, you get thanked with your TPE pay. I also don't do it every time, but I do thank graders and updaters occasionally because I also do a tedious job and understand it can be nice to hear positive things at times.

I've never understood how this is the standard argument around here by more senior members. It's the old "I had to walk uphill both ways in the snow because it was 80 years ago and cars weren't a standard mode of transportation." If we live in the past you can't move to the future, and because the system was so poorly run in the past doesn't make it ok to have a poorly run system now. Progression is THE biggest part of a sim league, if players can't progress their characters, they go inactive, and the league dwindles.

I get what you're saying, and 95% of the time, I agree with you. Like I said, I've been here since S26, so I guess that kind of makes me an old member now (which is really weird for me, because I still don't really look at myself like that. Seems like I just joined last week), I just feel like this is one of the few things where we really don't know how good we have it when it comes to grading if you weren't there when it wasn't like that.

I also admit that being a grader and Head Grader for as long as I was has made me hypersensitive to this issue.

I just feel like this is one of the few things where we really don't know how good we have it when it comes to grading if you weren't there when it wasn't like that.

Well sure, I suppose that's a fair point. I'm not trying to say that the situation is dire or terrible right now or anything. But let's improve it BEFORE it gets terrible, you know? As I said, if there's room for improvement, it isn't really all that smart to just dig in our heels and go "Well it's better than it was before, so let's just leave it at that for now". We should be looking for more ways to improve it.