So I know grading can't be easy, but

Caillean

I also admit that being a grader and Head Grader for as long as I was has made me hypersensitive to this issue.

I think that may be the biggest issue here as you and Smarch are both close to the issue at hand which doesn't allow you to fully and unbiasedly see the views of those touched by the issue at hand. I understand what it's like to be defensive or protective of something you have an insider influence on, and that I'm the other side of the coin where I'm being held back by the current grading system, but if we put aside our biases we have a better chance of coming up with a solution that will help everyone.

I'm not sure how many graders there are for medias but the only two I've seen are 44 and DT. Draper did one for a new member, which was a great move by him and for the new member. Maybe we should hire more graders? I can apply for the job but my English hasn't been tested in almost a decade and I seem to miss things in my own medias that aren't proper English.

Maybe that's another issue as there's a line between professional looking and marking down for slight things like hyphenating words together that don't need to be. If there was a little more leniency someone like me would be more open to grading as I wouldn't feel that I'm not adequate at the job because I'm not catching the little things.

Edited by jaladolar

Maybe that's another issue as there's a line between professional looking and marking down for slight things like hyphenating words together that don't need to be. If there was a little more leniency someone like me would be more open to grading as I wouldn't fee that I'm not adequate at the job because I'm not catching the little things.

I'll comment on this from the GFX side of things- I'd consider applying for a grader position if I didn't think that I'd be too easy on some people. One of the things I've felt is odd about the GFX graders is that they seem to go by personal opinion on some of the signature makeups, and I don't think that's a very good grading system. With stuff like that it should be unbiased. I'm not trying to whine or anything, so I apologize in advance if that's how this comes across, but I'd like to use it as an example. In 2 of my signatures, I've used a certain font that I like. Both times, I was docked points for it basically being too fancy. I don't see why so long as it's a readable font, it can't just be given whatever points. I'm not making the signature for the graders to use, I'm making it for me- so why should I be marked down because they don't like the font I use? If I saw something on a graphic that I didn't like but it didn't look terrible or completely ruin the image, I wouldn't dock points for it. But then again maybe that's what graders are supposed to do. Again, don't know on that front.

• Senior Admin

Ahh. Look, grading on here for the past month or so has been solid - probably some of the best turn over times that I've seen since joining, I think we were averaging 1-2 days. With that said, this just shaped up to be a bad week as far as our schedules go. As Smarch said, we all have lives and sometimes life hits all of us at once. So, yeah, we're a little behind this week. Like flyers said, efficient grading goes largely un-noticed, yet, one week a few days go by the graders get shit on. 

I'm not sure how grader payment got brought into this, and I have don't particularly know why we are talking about changing it, because that really doesn't pertain to this issue at hand here. The problem this week isn't graders not wanting to do their job or not having the incentive to do so, and frankly it was a needless jab to suggest that this was the case, the issue is, as I said above, simply a busy week for everyone. (midterms, etc)

Could I hire another grader? Sure I could. But if I had of hired him two weeks ago, there would have been nothing for him to grade. It's just bad luck really, and we can't predict luck nor the future. In regards to players not being able to progress - come on, have your grades been late on a consistent basis? No, it's one week. Obviously, I have spoken with the rest of the graders and if it looks like it's necessary, the appropriate hirings/firings/bannings will be made. 

This, as so many things the past week or two have been, is being blown wildly out of proportion and this thread will accomplish nothing that a PM couldn't. 

This, as so many things the past week or two have been, is being blown wildly out of proportion and this thread will accomplish nothing that a PM couldn't. 

I'm only gonna comment on this for now, I'll come back to the rest of the post later. Why do I keep seeing this? Why even HAVE a suggestion and complaints forum if every time someone posts something it gets this response? And in what possible way is this being "blown wildly out of proportion"? We're having a civil discussion in here. I see absolutely nothing being blown out of proportion. Healthy discussion is good for a league. I'm learning things about the grading system. If people are going to keep getting so pissy over suggestions being in the suggestion forum, maybe the forum should be removed.

• Senior Admin

*sigh* I'm not trying to say that what you're doing is necessarily 'wrong'. You and jaladolar have contributed a lot to the league as far as suggestions and such have gone (and other things obviously) and I applaud you for that. By being blown out of proportion, I mean there is realistically no underlying issue here. Especially if you look at the track record of the grading team for the past little while, this week can be classified as an anomaly at best. 

So I just don't see the reasoning to make such a spectacle about it. A simple PM would have yielded the same result this topic will....without calling out the graders. Again, you and jaladolar are both great members and I'm not trying to insult you or start an argument here; maybe I just feel obligated to stick up for my fellow graders. 

Bottom line is that grading will be back in it's regular form next week, and as I said above, the necessary changes will be made. Let's just leave it at that. 

I'm only gonna comment on this for now, I'll come back to the rest of the post later. Why do I keep seeing this? Why even HAVE a suggestion and complaints forum if every time someone posts something it gets this response? And in what possible way is this being "blown wildly out of proportion"? We're having a civil discussion in here. I see absolutely nothing being blown out of proportion. Healthy discussion is good for a league. I'm learning things about the grading system. If people are going to keep getting so pissy over suggestions being in the suggestion forum, maybe the forum should be removed.

This might be the suggestion forum, but that doesn't mean that people can't criticize the suggestions that are being made ;)

I for one find the grading to go much smoother than it did a few months ago, pretty much all my podcasts and my media spots have been graded super fast for months now. Of course there can and there will still be cases were a PT goes ungraded for a few days and we should do our best to make sure that this happens as rarely as possible, but this isn't a widespread problem at all. With that being said, having like a back-up upgrader or something wouldn't be too bad of an idea, having more graders than needed is a good thing, I'm sure no grader would mind if he didn't have to do any grading in a week because all the work has been done already.

This might be the suggestion forum, but that doesn't mean that people can't criticize the suggestions that are being made ;)

And that's fine, but I think it's ridiculous how often "it should have just been a PM" comes up. Criticize the suggestion all you want, tons of others in here have. I enjoy the discussion. But I'm just really not understanding why this comes up with suggestions lately when it's not like it's in some inappropriate forum.

I for one find the grading to go much smoother than it did a few months ago, pretty much all my podcasts and my media spots have been graded super fast for months now. Of course there can and there will still be cases were a PT goes ungraded for a few days and we should do our best to make sure that this happens as rarely as possible, but this isn't a widespread problem at all. With that being said, having like a back-up upgrader or something wouldn't be too bad of an idea, having more graders than needed is a good thing, I'm sure no grader would mind if he didn't have to do any grading in a week because all the work has been done already.

This in particular I've already addressed. I'm NOT saying the graders are bad or the grading system itself is bad. I'm simply saying it could be improved. As Jala and I said, just because things are good/better now doesn't mean that they can't continue to get even better. Grading may be faster than ever before, but that doesn't mean it can't get faster.

ya'll rooks be acting like as soon as the updater updates your thread, its updated in the sim.

Sim get updated 4 times a season if we're lucky (unless things have changed). Which is not a knock on Jardy because it's very time consuming updating players and an annoying job at that.

k bai back to my hole

Edited by 8Ovechkin8

ya'll rooks be acting like as soon as the updater updates your thread, its updated in the sim.

Sim get updated 4 times a season if we're lucky (unless things have changed). Which is not a knock on Jardy because it's very time consuming updating players and an annoying job at that.

k bai back to my hole

Well that was the impression I've always been under, knowing that makes a difference on how I feel about the entire subject.

Edit- Maybe make it a little more clear that the sim doesn't get updated each time our players do? Every "rook" I've talked to is under the impression that player updates go right into the sim when we're updated.

Edited by Caillean122

You questioned something that was running with a high level of competently, so yes people are going to defend the subject.

Wasn't going to come back to this thread, but I feel that I apparently need to say this again. Defend all you want. But if graders or hell, any job here is fine with "things are better now than they were before" and don't care about possibly making things better, then there's nothing I can do anyway. Finding out that the sim is updated so infrequently (if true) is honestly a really big deal to me and is making me question a lot of things, like why even update the players so often if not to give a false sense of accomplishment that isn't actually reflected in our play until the sim gets updated? But whatever. The last couple weeks and this thread in particular has taught me not to question anything, otherwise people get pissed off. Last thing I'll say here is that people really need to learn to take constructive criticism better. Since people are mentioning that they've been busy IRL which is more important, which is a totally valid reason, maybe they need to also realize that this is essentially an online video game in other aspects as well, such as criticism. When I bring up a suggestion or question on how things could possibly be improved, I'm not personally attacking you. If I was personally attacking anyone, I would have brought up names or something. But to deny that any job that's doing well can still be done better, I dunno. Yeah, just gonna go back to lurking in my locker rooms, the last couple weeks have really soured me on the league.