New Rookie Mentor Jobs

AJW

• Commissioner
Just now, Ricer13 said:

The SHL just recently implemented a check list system that updates in the main forum page each week. It’s extremely helpful and each item in the checklist takes you right to the page you need to go when you click on it.

It should be doable. We can do it with more advanced code than HTML as well, I just don't know PHP and stuff. But even just with basic HTML it would be pretty easy to have like Sub-Headings and stuff for different categories. What I don't know is whether or not it would be customizable by each user or if it would just stay set as whatever the first person to click it does.

Β 

The point is we can do custom blocks so in theory we could pull it off.

10 minutes ago, rory said:

vhlm gms get 4 job pay, that's their job

Yeah tbh it just comes down to this. We will work with every M GM and their AGM to make their life easier. I don't have any plans to add more jobs outside those two for development. Gus and I are happy to assist when needed, I know updaters are also fairly decent with fixing updates and answering questions in those edit/denial messages too.

Β 

Just see no reason to add mentors on top of M GM's. I still think the recruitment team getting paid 6 TPE a week should be able to serve as additional communal resources if you want more M help.

8 minutes ago, rory said:

vhlm gms get 4 job pay, that's their job

I wanna pitch in cause being directly involved with what's already being brought up, I feel I have a strong say in this

Β 

This whole new job being proposed is pretty much null if VHLM GM's just get more involved in developing the players they have. It has been and likely will be exactly that too, the VHLM GM's have a responsibility to help guide these new players to being successful in the league as a whole, and if they are incapable of doing that then they're failing at their job. The M is a development league first and foremost, and it falls solely on the managers of the teams to grow players and guide them. Making a whole new job because the GM's & AGM's of the M don't want to do their job is a rather nuclear option, and is quite easily solved by encouraging them to do exactly that, or getting people into those positions that will. It's really that simple

25 minutes ago, AJW said:

And like I said before I don’t think GMs hit every single target

Also back to this, I'd rather work with the GMs to make sure they cover everything they should be instead of outsourcing their job. We can chat about this privately or in the M GM chat with the other GMs if you'd like. Probably more productive than out here.

3 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Just see no reason to add mentors on top of M GM's. I still think the recruitment team getting paid 6 TPE a week should be able to serve as additional communal resources if you want more M help.

IΒ think you really want the Recruitment team to take over this haha. And that’s fine I’d so love to be able to do it that’s mainly why I’m suggesting it. At the same time I spend hours creating graphics for the Instagram with standings, stats and everything in general. Subject is all over the feed finding attraction for us and posting too, taking a lot of her time. Mubble does the draft class tracker which is a lot. Thad does our Twitter and is our main guy. We all have other duties around the league as well.

Β 

@Ricer13Β did bring up a good point of not stacking jobs, which is honestly a good route to create more job openings for members while also not creating more jobs. Would leave people to spend the right and accurate time in their primary job.

Β 

Also if 6 TPE requirement is to do all that and also be a guide to every new member in the league then that’s fine, and I can do it. But I just don’t understand all the negatives to adding a couple people, I don’t see how it would hurt and we could drop the TPE to 2 for all I care. As long as someone gets paid for the work they’re doing and keeping our members in the system and learning.

what's the difference between this and what an M gm does? besides maybe off-season. but even at that m gms or recruitment should be on the lookout for new faces.

14 minutes ago, samx said:

what's the difference between this and what an M gm does? besides maybe off-season. but even at that m gms or recruitment should be on the lookout for new faces.

Realistically there isn't one, and the potential duties listed are the reason why M GMs get 4 TPE per week. With that being said I've been in favour of mentors in the past, and could see the duties being tied into the recruitment team as well and don't see the reason why retention can't be tied into it (maybe with hiring more).

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

This whole new job being proposed is pretty much null if VHLM GM's just get more involved in developing the players they have.

Β 

I'll rephrase: this whole new job being proposed is pretty much null if VHLM GMsΒ do their job.

Β 

Which they do just fine as far as I'm aware. I'm proud of the people we've hired and the work they do.Β 

Β 

This isn't the first time "what if we had people dedicated to retention and assistance" brought up and it won't be the last. If you've got things to say about how the VHLM might be lacking in this regard and how we might change things to help, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise I kind of feel like this thread is creating solutions to problems that don't really exist as far as things actually in our control go.

Β 

To add--recruitment team used to be AWESOME at new member outreach. Beav used to reply to just about every single player creation thread, just because he felt like it, and there have been initiatives by the recruitment team specifically geared at new members. Hell, there was a time whenΒ @STZΒ made a graphic forΒ everyΒ first-gen who made it to 100 TPE (and even took some shit for that for some reason). If the recruitment team doesn't consider new member outreach one of their responsibilities anymore, I'm sorry to hear that (even if I still do believe our GMs do a fantastic job).

Β 

And finally, not even to recruitment but to the reader in general--if you think the league isn't doing enough for new members, why don't you go do something for new members? There's nothing stopping anyone from doing something nice for some people, regardless of role or lack thereof. I think I see more "the league/other people should be doing more" than I see actual doing sometimes. A lot of us have a lot of VHL energy and there are a lot of really cool ways to use it.

5 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Β 

To add--recruitment team used to be AWESOME at new member outreach. Beav used to reply to just about every single player creation thread, just because he felt like it, and there have been initiatives by the recruitment team specifically geared at new members. Hell, there was a time whenΒ @STZΒ made a graphic forΒ everyΒ first-gen who made it to 100 TPE (and even took some shit for that for some reason). If the recruitment team doesn't consider new member outreach one of their responsibilities anymore, I'm sorry to hear that (even if I still do believe our GMs do a fantastic job).

Β 

I try to say Welcome in every thread but I also remember beav going the extra distance with his messages and even reaching out to people. Good you brought that up as this is something our recruitment team could easily do and I will start doing.

Β 

5 minutes ago, Gustav said:

And finally, not even to recruitment but to the reader in general--if you think the league isn't doing enough for new members, why don't you go do something for new members? There's nothing stopping anyone from doing something nice for some people, regardless of role or lack thereof. I think I see more "the league/other people should be doing more" than I see actual doing sometimes. A lot of us have a lot of VHL energy and there are a lot of really cool ways to use it.

Amen.

It may have changed since the old days, but as a VHL mentor previously, I don't remember there was much demand for advice/assistance. It was all basic things that were easily explained. I'm not saying it's not needed now, just that based on what I saw previously, I'm not sure how often it will be used.Β 

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Gustav said:

There's nothing stopping anyone from doing something nice for some people, regardless of role or lack thereof. I think I see more "the league/other people should be doing more" than I see actual doing sometimes. A lot of us have a lot of VHL energy and there are a lot of really cool ways to use it.

That's a good piece of general advice in regards to a lot of things. Like how many people still here are aware that the VSN started because people felt like contributing in that manner and just did it? Making it an official paid job came quite a bit later. Why do you think we have as many records and stats and stuff as we do? That was never an official job, people just started collecting bits of stats they found interesting and posting it.

Β 

It's very rare for initiative to be frowned upon, especially if permission is requested beforehand. If someone wants to be more welcoming to new members (or really anything else for that matter) I really cannot fathom a reason why I would be upset about that. Not everything done in the VHL needs to be something you are paid for, passion projects are often the best things we have.

2 hours ago, Gustav said:

Hell, there was a time whenΒ @STZΒ made a graphic forΒ everyΒ first-gen who made it to 100 TPE (and even took some shit for that for some reason).

Β 

Well, I was claiming Recruitment Team pay, and at the start of the season when there weren't any First Gens at 100 TPE, I wouldn't make any graphics. So, that looked bad. Obviously the VHL Auditor ignored the fact that when they all hit 150 TPE I had to do like 10 graphics in a week. and it was 150 TPE for a Player Card and 250 for a signature. So, near the end of the season it was quite busy.

Β 

TBH, it's a lot easier for me to just do my weekly TPE and hammer out a graphic in 10 mins for the PT. It was reccomended at the time that I continue to do the graphics and just claim it as PT and .com GFX.. But that was after I was fired so I said "lol".