Bogatyrev hits back at Seattle management

Bojovnik

MALMO, October 23, 2023 (Shaiba.ru) – The VHL, a league that is never short of drama, is once again being forced to draw sides following an explosive outburst between Russian forward Yaroslav Bogatyrev and the Seattle Bears management.

Tensions rose over the past two weeks, after the Bears desperately attempted to shop Bogatyrev’s rights to any and all comers in order to get some sort of return for their star forward, who said that he was going to go to free agency following Seattle’s mediocre season that saw them fall short in the N.A. Conference Wild Card.

In a public post made on Sunday, the Bears management accused Bogatyrev of responding “to no one for days” and then coming out with “sassy little articles” discussing the current state of affairs. Most notably, the Bears management slammed Bogatyrev, saying that “they never turned into the star they should have became when Seattle drafted them.”

Shaiba.ru previously spoke with Bogatyrev’s agent, Oleg Markov, who criticized Seattle management for pressurizing his client to accept a sign and trade, despite the Nizhnii Tagil forward consistently saying that he wanted to go to free agency, to get all offers on the table before making a decision.

Ironically, Yaroslav Bogatyrev on Monday signed with the Malmo Nighthawks as a free agent, and Oleg Markov told Shaiba.ru that the Swedish side was actually one of the teams that pushed hardest for the Russian forward’s rights. According to insider sources, the Nighthawks made a strong offer for Bogatyrev’s rights, but the way things turned out (with Bogatyrev’s trade to HC Davos Dynamo voided over tricky terms), Seattle are in fact left with nothing for their former star forward.

After a period of silence, Shaiba.ru received a written comment from Bogatyrev on Monday addressing both his signature with the Malmo Nighthawks, as well as the comments from the Seattle Bears management.

“Firstly, I want to start with the good news. I’m delighted to have signed with the Malmo Nighthawks and I’m looking forward to joining up with the team and hopefully competing for a Continental Cup. I’ve found the team’s management to be highly constructive, and fostering a strong locker room atmosphere. It will be great to finally enjoy a positive locker room in the VHL.

Moving onto the comments from the team’s management. I can understand their frustration. Seattle have always been known as a team that shows little loyalty to their players. The management always tries to move players out as soon as they start making over a certain salary, and there’s no ceremony about it. Despite being fully committed to the Bears, I learned that Seattle were shopping me at one point, and to learn of this disloyalty was highly disappointing to me.

At the end of the day, why should I bend and sign away my free agent rights, just because you want to earn a draft pick off of me? I have zero vested interest in doing of anything that benefits Seattle if I’m leaving the team, and all correspondence should have gone through my agent, rather than directly to me.

As the second top goal scorer in the entire VHL last season, I find it interesting why the management is accusing me of not becoming a star. I frankly think that the Bears management need to take a closer look at themselves, understand the reasoning as to why the team failed to win a cup (after throwing away a 3-1 Continental Cup final lead), and the failure last season to generate any form of offense.

I find it unbecoming to make your frustrations known so publicly and then to go on the assault against former players. It’s a sign of poor character, and I would hope that someone close to the Seattle management in order to ensure that something like this doesn’t happen again, and remind them that they are an adult and that they should not act like a child throwing their toys out of the pram.

In short, my statement can be distilled down to the following -- don’t blame me for your failure to build a coherent team, and not expect any loyalty from me, when you have not shown loyalty to others.”

After Shaiba.ru received Bogatyrev’s statement, we contacted the Russian forward’s agent, Oleg Markov, to get his comment on the state of affairs. Over the phone, Markov said that he was delighted with his client’s agreement with the Malmo Nighthawks, and also went on the offensive against the public statement of Seattle’s management.

“Malmo have been fantastic throughout the entire process. From start to finish, our negotiations in the free agent period were solid, and they provided a strong value proposition that will give my client what he was seeking when he made the announcement that he would be going to free agency.

Additionally, unlike Seattle, they showed no hard feelings when they were informed that my client would not consent to a sign and trade, and also put no pressure on my client throughout the free agency process when several days were asked to make a decision. In short, they acted as a general manager should.

That being said, my client still wishes to express his gratitude to many people in Seattle for their help, assistance, and positive emotions throughout my client’s five seasons in the Pacific Northwest. The team failed to meet its goals, but my client gave his all to the team since S86, and he received a lot back from the team.

My client is now currently in the midst of a rigorous preseason schedule, and he is confident of coming into the season in the best form he’s been in in his career to date. He is delighted to be returning to Europe in order to be closer to friends and family, and we are confident that the Nighthawks are going to be one of the contending teams in the European Conference next season, and there are few teams that can match the team’s talent level.”

Edited by Bojovnik

6 hours ago, Bojovnik said:

Moving onto the comments from the team’s management. I can understand their frustration. Seattle have always been known as a team that shows little loyalty to their players. The management always tries to move players out as soon as they start making over a certain salary, and there’s no ceremony about it. Despite being fully committed to the Bears, I learned that Seattle were shopping me at one point, and to learn of this disloyalty was highly disappointing to me.

I like this part. Bana is arguably the best GM in VHL history, but it's refreshing to see a player respond to his style in this manner.

• 3 weeks later...