Official Movie Discussion

Devise

25 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

I wonder how DC's grand attempt to burst the superhero bubble will affect Marvel's efforts. My guess is not until after Phase 3.

Eh, I don't really think you can call it a bubble at this point. Even if you ignore studios efforts to change the genres of the super hero movies to keep things fresh, we will not enter a reality where 0 super hero movies are made over a 5 year period. Once Phase 3 of Marvel's ends we could see a severe reduction so it's not the 4-6 per year crazy pace as now. 

But there will always be raging fans who dress up and have followed these characters for years. Superman and Batman and Captain America and Marvel as brands have been around a long time. Like early 1940's in some cases. The fans aren't going to all wake up one day and suddenly say they hate the things they love. And as long as their is money to be made on said fans, movies or media in some variety will keep coming. 

It's no different than when games started getting more popular. It's about adapting. People just love the idea that things are still small and unsaturated so they can keep up with everything. But that saturation leads to fans and audience's of many different things, so people need to work on just letting those who enjoy it do so without trying to turn everything into some meta commentary on modern culture. The internet has made it so it's very unlikely all these brands from super hero's, to Pokemon, to sitcoms, to etc, will ever truly fade from existence. There will always be an audience for most brands that achieve any larger fandom. 

I should clarify that instead of saying never a 5 year span with no SH movies I mean more, no media in some form being released about them. Since obviously in decades from now I have no idea how we'll be consuming media, as that could change. And this of course still works under the assumption there is no serious wars or economic collapse ha. 

We've had this debate before, and I'll still hold strong in my ultimate opinion: the Superhero movies aren't some all-powerful thing that will never die. If Marvel was the only one making them, they'd definitely last longer, but now you have DC tainting the pool and so on. As budgets continue to balloon, these movies need to continue to make $800+ million worldwide to be profitable, but once they go down in quality or lose their recognizable faces when actors move on from their roles, it's gonna be difficult. The fans of the source material will still turn out, sure, but casual people are eventually gonna stop feeding a growingly oversaturated market, especially if there's more and more companies making them because that means more bad movies.

The superhero movies deserve a lot of credit for transitioning action movies from tired, mindless drivel to being intelligent, well-thought-out and well-executed movies, but it's still a niche (albeit a massive one) and once that niche loses its appeal to the masses it's gonna start losing money. Once it starts losing money that bubble's going to burst.

14 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

We've had this debate before, and I'll still hold strong in my ultimate opinion: the Superhero movies aren't some all-powerful thing that will never die. If Marvel was the only one making them, they'd definitely last longer, but now you have DC tainting the pool and so on. As budgets continue to balloon, these movies need to continue to make $800+ million worldwide to be profitable, but once they go down in quality or lose their recognizable faces when actors move on from their roles, it's gonna be difficult. The fans of the source material will still turn out, sure, but casual people are eventually gonna stop feeding a growingly oversaturated market, especially if there's more and more companies making them because that means more bad movies.

The superhero movies deserve a lot of credit for transitioning action movies from tired, mindless drivel to being intelligent, well-thought-out and well-executed movies, but it's still a niche (albeit a massive one) and once that niche loses its appeal to the masses it's gonna start losing money. Once it starts losing money that bubble's going to burst.

Yea sure but the only bubble that is bursting is in the masses of casuals. That doesn't make something die. Your assuming I'm saying they will always cost so much and be this big. Where as all I'm saying is that these heroes, in some form of media whether it be books, movies, games etc will be adapted. The actual comics have been printing and making money long enough that once the casuals stop showing up, some studios will rebudget, and adjust to continue to make money off fans who are likely to consume that content for many years. 

Disney, ironically is the perfect example of Marvel or DC now. A brand, not just some trend. The high popularity of these movies specifically is the only aspect that is a trend here. The super hero characters, some of them have become just as recognisable as Mickey Mouse. Disney didn't buy Marvel just to profit off a few big grossing movies while the casuals are trending on it. It's about brand stability and Marvel as a company has had these characters around a lot of them before either of us were even born. Brands with that much fandom suddenly don't stop making any form of profit. Hence their billions of dollars in value as a company. 

Furthering that point. There was a housing bubble in 2008 that burst, but that didn't mean there was no more people buying houses. There will be consequences when the casuals move off of big budget SH films, but the characters, and the media they appear in isn't suddenly going to go from everywhere to nowhere. 

Edited by Mr. Power

4 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Yea sure but the only bubble that is bursting is in the masses of casuals. That doesn't make something die. Your assuming I'm saying they will always cost so much and be this big. Where as all I'm saying is that these heroes, in some form of media whether it be books, movies, games etc will be adapted. The actual comics have been printing and making money long enough that once the casuals stop showing up, some studios will rebudget, and adjust to continue to make money off fans who are likely to consume that content for many years. 

Disney, ironically is the perfect example of Marvel or DC now. A brand, not just some trend. The high popularity of these movies specifically is the only aspect that is a trend here. The super hero characters, some of them have become just as recognisable as Mickey Mouse. Disney didn't buy Marvel just to profit off a few big grossing movies while the casuals are trending on it. It's about brand stability and Marvel as a company has had these characters around a lot of them before either of us were even born. Brands with that much fandom suddenly don't stop making any form of profit. Hence their billions of dollars in value as a company. 

Furthering that point. There was a housing bubble in 2008 that burst, but that didn't mean there was no more people buying houses. There will be consequences when the casuals move off of big budget SH films, but the characters, and the media they appear in isn't suddenly going to go from everywhere to nowhere. 

I'm not assuming you're saying anything, I'm saying that the budgets will keep going up because that's how Hollywood studios do things, and when the returns begin to diminish they'll be scared off of doing them. When there's so much money involved it only takes a couple of flops to sink the divisions of companies that are entirely dedicated to making these movies. I believe DC will start that movement and then once Marvel moves on to new actors with their current most popular characters that'll finish it off. It's not like the profits from comic book sales will keep the movies afloat, they're way too expensive.

Edited by .sniffuM

On 22/08/2016 at 6:19 PM, .sniffuM said:

I'm not assuming you're saying anything, I'm saying that the budgets will keep going up because that's how Hollywood studios do things, and when the returns begin to diminish they'll be scared off of doing them. When there's so much money involved it only takes a couple of flops to sink the divisions of companies that are entirely dedicated to making these movies. I believe DC will start that movement and then once Marvel moves on to new actors with their current most popular characters that'll finish it off. It's not like the profits from comic book sales will keep the movies afloat, they're way too expensive.

While I agree with the aspect that the current studios making big budget super hero movies will stop making them, there will still be enough fans willing to see something that cheaper SH movies, likely done by other studios will come. I mean we haven't even gotten to the possibility of Disney leveraging Pixar to make a cheap animated Avengers lite with the only serious cost being voice actors. Remember Disney owns Marvel and they are going to milk that well until everyone fans included stop giving them money. The reality is, something you still haven't refuted, somehow some way some of these super heroes will be licenced and leveraged in ways to make money. 

Look at Star Trek. New movies decades after the shows/movies were all coming out, a new TV show coming again. It won't outright die. Which is my argument with Marvel you still haven't even attempted to counter. Regardless if the current MCU and DCU live on past 2020 or 2025, there will still be enough money in these properties to do something that can profit to enough of a degree that people will be making things with them of one variety or the other for likely decades to come. That isn't me saying that 500 million dollar big budget SH movies will made that long. Only saying that something, containing some Marvel or DC character whether connected to some existing universe or operating on its own will be made. It's not like we are suddenly going to go 25 years without anything related to super heroes ever being released. 

19 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Yeah that's the one. I was tired while watching it, dozing off a bit. I may have to watch it again. 

Was it any good at least? I haven't heard much about it honestly. 

48 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Was it any good at least? I haven't heard much about it honestly. 

It was pretty interesting, yeah. Not a masterpiece but probably worth watching if you're a movie guy.

Especially if you like kind of thought-provoking, mind- twisty thrillers. Not the best kind of movie to watch while tired, but I got enough to know that I'll want to watch it again. I'm not a big critic though so maybe a more trained eye will find more fault in it.

Edited by Streetlight

4 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

While I agree with the aspect that the current studios making big budget super hero movies will stop making them, there will still be enough fans willing to see something that cheaper SH movies, likely done by other studios will come. I mean we haven't even gotten to the possibility of Disney leveraging Pixar to make a cheap animated Avengers lite with the only serious cost being voice actors. Remember Disney owns Marvel and they are going to milk that well until everyone fans included stop giving them money. The reality is, something you still haven't refuted, somehow some way some of these super heroes will be licenced and leveraged in ways to make money. 

Look at Star Trek. New movies decades after the shows/movies were all coming out, a new TV show coming again. It won't outright die. Which is my argument with Marvel you still haven't even attempted to counter. Regardless if the current MCU and DCU live on past 2020 or 2025, there will still be enough money in these properties to do something that can profit to enough of a degree that people will be making things with them of one variety or the other for likely decades to come. That isn't me saying that 500 million dollar big budget SH movies will made that long. Only saying that something, containing some Marvel or DC character whether connected to some existing universe or operating on its own will be made. It's not like we are suddenly going to go 25 years without anything related to super heroes ever being released. 

I'm not saying it's gonna die completely. I'm just saying it's going to reach the point where their plans and massive 'phases' aren't going to be viable. Just because I say the bubble's going to burst doesn't mean I don't believe there's ever going to be superhero movies after that. At best it's going to come to a point where a couple of the franchises remain popular while others die off and fall out for a while before maybe another attempted reboot.

1 hour ago, Streetlight said:

It was pretty interesting, yeah. Not a masterpiece but probably worth watching if you're a movie guy.

Especially if you like kind of thought-provoking, mind- twisty thrillers. Not the best kind of movie to watch while tired, but I got enough to know that I'll want to watch it again. I'm not a big critic though so maybe a more trained eye will find more fault in it.

I generally like those types, anything where you almost have to see it a second time offers great depth to a rabid rewatcher like myself. 

And Damien, okay then. We'll settle it at that. Just to continue to play counter though I'll say the bubble won't burst until late 2020's or 2030 at the latest. I mean if we are getting a Lego Batman movie in today's world and even things getting critically panned still are grossing, I can see the bubble sticking around that long. :P

Actually to further that just a bit, would you agree it's fair to say Damien, that due to the wide market appeal all this has done is legitimise the super hero genre among the many other movie genres, most of which enjoyed longer phases as the popular ticket. Western, horror, thriller etc. In 20 or 30 years time people doing another big budget one would be revisiting an older genre, much like the odd few westerns or other genre films get made still from time to time. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Actually to further that just a bit, would you agree it's fair to say Damien, that due to the wide market appeal all this has done is legitimise the super hero genre among the many other movie genres, most of which enjoyed longer phases as the popular ticket. Western, horror, thriller etc. In 20 or 30 years time people doing another big budget one would be revisiting an older genre, much like the odd few westerns or other genre films get made still from time to time. 

TBH I'm not sure yet. It's definitely breathed life into and revolutionized the action genre, and it's clearly the biggest subgenre out there to the point where the case can be made that it's its own genre, but I think it needs to prove more staying power first personally.

• 3 months later...

http://letterboxd.com/KJones77/

Figured I'd share this if anyone's interested. For the past few years (since August on this particular site), I've reviewed everything I've watched. Now they've gotten longer and I think they don't suck to read.

Anybody see anything good lately? Also who else fucking hated Sausage Party?

Edited by Spangle

2 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

deadpool, dr.strange and sausage party are movie of the year candidates. you have no idea what you are talking about 

Not in the least for me. They all drove me up the wall.

• 2 months later...