Around the League- EU vs NA addition

Scurvy

Another week has gone by and I am happy to say the start of the S92 season is here!  Whether you’re in the VHL, E, or just starting in the VHLM it is without a doubt the best feeling when the scores come in after the off-season.  It also makes it easier to chat about the happenings and stuff going on Around the League.  Today I wanted to talk and compare the two top teams in both divisions.  

North American League (VHL).  image.png.a6c4a5b1a74ff27a05b45acec8863b00.png

The season has started off hot and the LA Stars have topped the North American league with a record of 7-1. This team looks like it has the tools to go deep into the post season with studs like Todd Cooke @KRZY who the Stars got with the 27th overall pick in S84.  Talk about a steal!  Also up front, are Larry Abass Jr @RileyL(13 pts), veteran Napoleon Dynamite @thadthrasher (9 pts), Sunglasses Joyo @JetsGoalie101, and Adam Rage (6 pts). 

On defense the Stars are going with only 3 which could be their greatest weakness, but maybe not.  Leading the blue-line is Jens Lekman @Bobcat who is 3rd on the team in scoring.   A proven two-way defender he can lead the power play, block shots, and crush opposing players.   Also on the backed is Elias Lampi @Pifferfish.  EL can put up big numbers too (24 goals in S89) and QB the power play with ease.  He likes to shoot the puck and when he gets hot, look out.  Rounding out their back end is Eric Queefson @twists.   Last season, on a struggling Moscow team EQ was a ray of sunshine.  He put up 14 goals and 130 hits.  Look for those numbers to increase on this talented LA roster. 

Now, the LA Stars biggest advantage is their net-minder, Art Vandelay @Gustav .  Now this Mr. Vandelay I simply not just a fictious character rolling in the mind of the great George Costanza but a true Hall of Fame caliber goalie who has spent his entire career with the Stars.  Through the good times and bad he has stuck with his club and it has payed off.  7—1 this season, 1 shutout, and a 1.82 GAA he is the brick wall in LA and will only add to his LA career records of wins and shutouts.  

Prediction:  1st in division

EUROPEAN CONFERENCE.   image.png.ef41f3bb7c7c231218b11a7f9f03226b.png

Right now, three teams are all close to the top spot but after 9 games, the Helsinki Titans are holding it down with a 7-1-1 record.  A quick look at this roster and they are deadly.  Up front, they have team scoring leader, Daryl Dixon @Ricer13. The former 3rd overall pick of the Titans is almost a goal a game pace right now and can sizzle passes to teammates just as easy, having an amazing 63 assists last season.  He shoots hard and often and plays with grit (320 hits in S89).  

Following Dixon on the front end is potential rookie of the year candidate, Grimgor Ironhide @FrostBeard.  With a name like that you’d expect him to be raiding the coast of England in a wooden ship pillaging villages along the way to fortune and fame.  He hasn’t done any raiding (I don't think) but he is averaging over a point per game with 5g 7a 12pts.  Alongside other contributors, Owen Lazaro @traphag, Rick Grimes @tinafrombobsburgers, Jarko Laakkonen @Xdjk93, and Chip Stone @DoktorFunk the Titans are formidable.  

Highlighting the defense for the Titans I can easily start with the only Kardashian I can stand, Kronchy Kardashian @Garsh.  Krochy is an absolute gem on defense.  Grit, speed, and skills Kronchy can punish teams anywhere on the rink.  13 points so far in 8 games this former 7thoverall pick amassed 31 goals last season so if he gets hot, look out.  

Next to him former Vancouver stud, Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito.   Always in the running for off season trophies he is the consummate professional defenseman. Deadly offensively while never compromising defense he does what it takes to win and an excellent locker room presence. 

Finishing up with defense is third year phenom Yaboi Oven @Doomsday.  A steady giant of a defensemen I see similarities to former Davos great, Jake Thunder.  Almost a point per game I look for this to be his breakout season.  

Helsinki has another goalie that has stayed with the club his entire career so far in Fuukka Rask @Jubis. Drafted 14th overall in S87 he has been steady his whole career, even during the dark times.   7-1-1 this season is a 2.29 GAA he shows that even when his formidable defense makes a mistake, he is more likely than not to stop it.  

Prediction: 2nd overall in EU 

Have a great week everyone