CIA’s Early, Probably Wrong S93 Mock Draft

CowboyinAmerica

2023 NHL Mock Draft 2.0

CIA’s Early, Probably Wrong S93 Mock Draft

The playoffs are here, and that means the event that absolutely everybody is waiting for. No, of course not the playoffs, who cares about those? No, what everybody is really focused on is the VHL Draft, the illusion of hope that will inevitably crush 15 out of 16 teams each season.

And this draft is a particularly interesting one. At the beginning of this particular draft cycle, there was a belief it’d be a weak draft year. There weren’t many recreating members, after all, especially with a few high profile S83 players instead preferring to take some time off before recreating. It also didn’t help that most of those early creates were all forwards, meaning there wasn’t going to be much variety at the top of the draft.

Then, the deluge happened. Spurred on by a renewed recruitment drive on Youtube, new members began to enter in drove. The result is a draft with more first generation players than we’ve seen in any time in recent memory. And since many of those new members joined at the same time, there really isn’t much separating anybody in the draft. Indeed, as of Sunday, Feb. 18, there are fourteen players between 221 TPE and 199 TPE. Yes, that’s just 22 TPE, separating the fourth and seventeenth ranked players in the first round.

In my opinion, that means this could very well be the craziest draft we see in a long time. It also promises to be the most unpredictable, and a lot is going to depend on unknown GM preferences and scouting meetings that haven’t happened yet. In fact, it would be a fool’s errand - downright irresponsible, in fact - to try and predict any of this before the lottery has even occurred.

Luckily, downright irresponsible is why I’m here. Before I get into the mock, there’s two important things to keep in mind:

1. This is one person’s opinion, and I know nothing. I’m very purposefully not active on Discord outside of my locker rooms, so I don’t know who’s friends with who or player plans that may have been discussed on there. I’m making picks based on what I know and team fits.

2. If you’re dissatisfied with where I put you, please absolutely take it personally. It’s because I hate you, specifically, person I’ve never met in real life.

Now with that in mind, let’s get to picking. TPE totals are as of Sunday afternoon.

:sea:  1. Seattle Bears: C Antonia Bucatini, Houston Bulls, 354 TPE, @CowboyinAmerica

I swear I’m not doing this to be conceited, and I think there’s a very good chance that Gianfranco Del Rocco is the first name on the draft board for a few lottery teams (more on that in a second). But I do expect Bucatini to be one of the top two, both because of the agency’s history and also the raw TPE total. As it relates to the Bears specifically, I’ll just say this: I’ve only actually created one forward before. That player, Gabriel McAllister, went first overall in S56 to the Bears and a relatively new GM named Bana. Four seasons later, Bana had his first title, and McAllister was named Playoff MVP.

:dav:  2. HC Davos Dynamo: LW Gianfranco Del Rocco, San Diego Marlins, 327 TPE, @Victor

The easiest pick on the board, put it in pen. While some drafts have surprises, I’ll be a bit shocked if myself and Victor aren’t 1-2 in some order. And while Del Rocco falls to Davos here, I wouldn’t be shocked if he was top on their draft board regardless. After all, Victor is a former Davos GM, many of his best seasons as a member were with the franchise, and Davos could be looking for new blood after having CIA’s Booberry just a few seasons ago. Plus, Davos actually has the best combined chance at the first pick in the lottery (32.5%), giving them a chance to make this a reality.

:que:  3. Vancouver Wolves: LW Forum Content, Miami Marauders, 221 TPE, @frescoelmo

This is where I believe things start to get interesting. The easy pick would be winger Jean-Pierre Devote, who has the most TPE on the board. There’s also an argument for one of the more active first gen players who would provide a high upside. But I’m going with door number 3 in winger Forum Content. Fresco is one of the very, very few sim league members who have been around longer than I have (read: we’re old), and given past member history, there’s less of a chance of burnout than perhaps some of the newer members. The Wolves have their top-end talent from their host of S92 picks, what they really need are steady players to fill out the roster. Content certainly has the capability to be a star, but the high floor is even more important for me here.

:chi:  4. Chicago Phoenix: LW Jean-Pierre Devote, San Diego Marlins, 276 TPE, @eagle_3450

Early on in this drafting cycle, Devote was promoting himself as a potential first overall pick. And while he may have fallen a tiny bit behind Bucatini and Del Franco in terms of training points earned, there’s still all the makings here of a potential star. That potential mixes nicely with what the Phoenix need here, because I view Chicago as the exact opposite of Vancouver: A lot of really solid players, but in desperate need of a high ceiling player who could be the leader of the team into a new generation. That’s also why I think some enterprising first gens could be in consideration here, but Devote’s TPE advantage right now and previous earning gives the advantage.

:dav:  5. HC Davos Dynamo (from Warsaw): D Lucy Leitner, Houston Bulls, 215 TPE, @LucyXpher

A lot has been made of Davos getting this pick from Warsaw, so what now will they do with it? I have two immediate thoughts: First that they may not want two forwards in the lottery knowing there will be many available later, and second that Alex is not a GM afraid of taking a chance on first gens. So with that in mind, we see a first gen off the board here in Leitner. One of those coming to the league early in the season, Leitner has been a revelation on the blue line for the Bulls, averaging more than a point per game. Their insightful articles have also been a revelation, and show someone both invested in the league and not as prone to potential burnout in what may be a longer Davos rebuild.

:rig:  6. Riga Reign: D Benjamin Abenduct, Houston Bulls, 208 TPE, @Schnee

The Reign are my single most intriguing team as we enter the draft. Barring a bit of lottery luck or playoff lack of luck, they have three first round picks that sit in the middle of the first round. That gives them an opportunity to take a few chances, or perhaps even trade up with a team that’s looking for more established players (Chicago?). But as I’m not predicting trades, I wouldn’t be surprised if Riga takes a similar tactic to Davos’ last pick and knows there are forwards later. Thus, Leitner’s linemate Abenduct is the pick, a first gen who has been a continuously strong earner since joining at the beginning of the season. With Cobalt Burns set to retire and new defensemen in the prospect pool, Riga desperately needs some youth on the blue line.

:nya:  7. New York Americans: LW Chris Reynolds Jr, Houston Bulls, 213 TPE, @Crstats23

New York has a lot of offensive talent right now, but only one forward in their pool younger than S88 (last year’s first round pick Wayne Gretzky). So I’d expect them to go forward, and the third straight Bull to go off the board in Reynolds would seem to be a perfect fit. Reynolds’ agency proved to produce loyal players given Pete Mitchell’s eight seasons in Davos, something that relatively new GM STZ should value given that the Americans are still trying to build a new identity. Reynolds has also been a consistent earner, even if not always at the max, and the Americans have seemed to value long-term consistency as evidenced by the Gretzky pick.

:prg:  8. Prague Phantoms: RW Annie Oaks, Las Vegas Aces, 206 TPE, @Noodle Enjoyer

With Prague being eliminated in the wild card round, it would seem to be the end of an era. Four of their starters are retiring this offseason; stars John Jameson and Nikolas Kauppi are following next season. With a full rebuild potentially looming on the horizon, that screams to me a first gen who Prague can mold over time and serve as the centerpiece as more players come in with high picks in coming seasons. Between both Saskatoon and Las Vegas, Oaks has emerged as one of the VHLM’s top offensive talents and can be exactly that type of scorer Prague can build around. A perfect earner as far as I can tell, Oaks also has star upside to be the next in a line of top earners once Jamerson and Kauppi are gone.

:tor:  9. Toronto Legion: D Gul Dukat, Miami Marauders, 199 TPE, @MSouthworth

This is where the draft order could start to change based on the playoffs, and the Legion certainly wouldn’t mind picking last in the first round. But if they’re here, an infusion of youth into the defensive core is a must if they’re going to extend their window of opportunity. Dukat is the third of the three first gen defensemen I’d expect to go earlier than some may expect, providing high-level upside as long as their earning stays consistent. Much more of a defensively-oriented player than either Leitner or Abenduct, Dukat would also fit in nicely with a team that has high-profile scorers in Jaks and Atlas, but could use a bit more blue line strength.

:rig:  10. Riga Reign (from London): LW UghSike, Miami Marauders, 202 TPE, @UghSike

You thought I was going to pick a different forward here? Ugh, sike! (Sorry, it was the low-hanging fruit.) After going defense with the first pick, and with S91 draftee Red Panda fully entrenched at goalie, going forward with their next two firsts makes sense for the Reign. UghSike has been a consistent earner since joining, recently topping the 200 capped mark for the VHLM. And even if the points haven’t necessarily been there yet with Saskatoon or Miami, that will change in time as long as the TPE stays consistent. A good team/player fit, as Riga has had success bringing first gens along.

:rig:  11. Riga Reign (from D.C.): RW Nathan Ecker, Houston Bulls, 199 TPE, @Nathan_8

And with the next pick, Riga goes to the opposite side of the ice, taking right winger Nathan Ecker. Another first gen who came in near the start of the season, Ecker started off slow for the Bulls but picked his game up near the end of the season, ending with 25 goals while playing on Houston’s second line. But more important than that is a desire to be involved with the league, as evidenced by a JST GM position. That portends good tidings for long-term league longevity, and once again Riga is a good landing spot for first gens.

:mos:  12. Moscow Menace: C Tyler Lawson, Houston Bulls, 172 TPE, @Nyx

I’m curious where Moscow would go: recreating members who might occasionally get welfare but provide consistent earning (Nabokov, Kolesinska, French), or a first gen who has a higher ceiling, but potentially a lower floor? But having two late firsts allows them to split the difference, and I’m predicting a newer member in Lawson here. Although Lawson joined a little later than some players who have gone already, only getting in 56 games with the Bulls, he nonetheless has been a consistent earner and quickly worked his way up draft boards. The Menace do have three young talented centers in Gunner, Ruutu and Richmond, but Lawson’s current build could easily be molded to play on the wing as well.

:mos:  13. Moscow Menace (from Los Angeles): D WWumbo, Ottawa Lynx, 172 TPE, @Fire Tortorella

What, you thought my returning player spiel in the previous section was just about forwards? The same logic could apply just as easy to defensemen - and perhaps moreso, given that Andersson isn’t too far from regression and Pereira is a semi-regular welfare earner. WWumbo may see some welfare himself, but in a defensive pool with less depth than forward, a consistent earner and VHL regular would be welcomed into Moscow. Just don’t hire Torts as the team’s coach.

:hel:  14. Helsinki Titans: G Jorgen Lovstrom, Philadelphia Reapers, 202 TPE, @Pifferfish

Wait, a goalie hasn’t gone yet? Yes, it’s a rough market for goalies this season for two main reasons. First, there are a few talented ones, meaning teams could feel they can afford to wait and not miss out. And second, five of the picks in the mid-first are owned by Riga and Moscow - two teams with young goalies of their own who aren’t looking for a replacement. But those factors are Helsinki’s gain, as they get a talented netminder in Lovstrom here. The goalie for the VHLM-leading Reapers, Lovstrom has shown he knows how to win - important for a Helsinki team that may be looking to extend its window even beyond Fuukka Rask’s retirement in two seasons’ time.

:mal:  15. Malmo Nighthawks (from Calgary): RW Yermolai Nabokov, Philadelphia Reapers, 205 TPE, @fonziGG

What do you get for the team that has everything? There are some talented goalies on the board, but Malmo has a few prospect goalies to replace Ash Sparks, including last year’s 10th overall pick Olafur Gunnleifsson. Defense is the strength of the team already with a few young players. So forward is where I’m going, and with a known member in Fonzi. Nabokov has a few welfare claims to his name, but the Fonzi agency has also demonstrated an ability to make strong players if motivated. Landing on the reigning Victory Cup champions would seem to be strong motivation, especially since it looks like the team’s core will continue winning for a few seasons.

:dav:  16. HC Davos Dynamo (from Malmo): G Ondrej Vencko, Houston Bulls, 182 TPE, @Mutti

With their two lottery picks in this mock, the Dynamo already selected a forward and a defensive player. So when entering the rebuild, what’s left? Why, a goalie of course? It’s a matter of preference between Vencko and Aleksanteri Kaskiniemi-Kekkonen, but I’m going with the first gen here. Outside of one hiccup week, Mutti has been a consistent earner since joining the league on a youthful Bulls team, emerging as the lead goalie in the run to the five seed. The Dynamo certainly have no problem with first gen goalies (see: Lachlan Summers), and Vencko would be ready to go upon Summers’ ultimate retirement.

Just missed first round:

RW Trimiskez Artav @jake - Was on track to be at the top half of the lottery, but two welfare weeks followed by not updating this week worries me. Can get back to things quickly though.

RW Miner vHLer @Rhynex Entertainment - I’m so excited to see how the build idea works. But with a lot of depth in the draft, I’m not sure teams would be as excited.

C Vanuza Kolesinska @chikn - For teams wanting a consistent presence, Kolesinksa is your player. But I’m expecting more swings for first gens this draft.

RW Steve French @Seabass - Same reasoning as above, though I’m curious whether the agency’s past association with Moscow means anything with their late firsts.

G Aleksanteri Kaskiniemi-Kekkonen @Snussu - Goalie is just going to be a tough position this draft with who currently holds firsts. But I’m sure someone like L.A. or London would love to trade back in to the late first and pick them up. 

D Ray Stanton @horoscope - My dark horse first round pick, given how many teams need defense. Has been a strong earner since joining mid-season, if the scouting interview goes well a team could swing for the high upside.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

Really well written article! Thanks for doing this as it is always fun to look ahead and speculate! It’ll be really interesting to see how it holds up come draft day!  

• Admin

This draft deserves more coverage like this. I demand scouting reports from everyone for the next 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

If you’re dissatisfied with where I put you, please absolutely take it personally. It’s because I hate you, specifically, person I’ve never met in real life.

I knew it

1 hour ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

2. If you’re dissatisfied with where I put you, please absolutely take it personally. It’s because I hate you, specifically, person I’ve never met in real life.

I knew it!!!!

On 2/19/2024 at 8:35 AM, CowboyinAmerica said:

15. Malmo Nighthawks (from Calgary): RW Yermolai Nabokov, Philadelphia Reapers, 205 TPE, @fonziGG

What do you get for the team that has everything? There are some talented goalies on the board, but Malmo has a few prospect goalies to replace Ash Sparks, including last year’s 10th overall pick Olafur Gunnleifsson. Defense is the strength of the team already with a few young players. So forward is where I’m going, and with a known member in Fonzi. Nabokov has a few welfare claims to his name, but the Fonzi agency has also demonstrated an ability to make strong players if motivated. Landing on the reigning Victory Cup champions would seem to be strong motivation, especially since it looks like the team’s core will continue winning for a few seasons.

Haha also fun fact, Malmo was the first team to ever select me in a VHL draft. Would love this pick but am happy to play for any team in the VHL of course!

Article review:  This is a great article, the fact that it is well before anything else and now will set the standard for al future draft reviews.  The fact that the author fully understands that this is an opinion piece and what will actually happen will look nothing like their predictions is refreshing.  The humor adds to the article.  The fact that the author was able to get multiple weeks of TPE for doing such an easy topic.  Honestly it could be as easy of listing the players in the forum and ranking them by TPE earned to date.  Add some filler information and bang you have weeks worth of TPE.

Great job, my opinion is that this article deserves a 9/10.  

• 2 weeks later...