Revisiting Record-Breaking Predictions from S71

Corco

On March 11th, 2020 (S71 offseason), I wrote an article analyzing which the chances of which VHL records I believed would and would not be broken.  See below for a quick summary.

GP: 648 - Sterling Labatte & Markus Lidstrom (0%) BROKEN (rule change)

Goals: 599 - Scotty Campbell (0%) SAFE

Assists: 639 - Scotty Campbell (0%) SAFE

PTS: 1,239  - Scotty Campbell (0%) SAFE

+/-: +643 & -345 - Scotty Campbell & Sam Pouza (0% & 10%) SAFE

PIM: 1858 - Peter Payne (70%) SAFE

Hits: 2769 - Zach Parechkin (25%) BROKEN (5x)

SB: 1407 - Markus Lidstrom (50%) BROKEN (3x)

• At the time of making my original article, VHL players were only allowed to have eight-season careers, not nine. That being said, that would mean that most players could only tie the record, not break it. But, thanks to in-season trades, Pierre Emile Bouchard & Nico Pearce both now share the record with 650 career Games Played. 
  • Obviously Scotty Campbell's records have stood the test of time, given the state of parity in the league now vs when he racked up all of his stats. Sam Pouza's record has also stood the test of time, with only Tim Riggins coming relatively close from S88-95 with a -276 rating.
  • Given the new max career lengths, I'm a bit surprised that Peter Payne's PIM record has not been broken. Given the state of the meta in the league since then, I could understand why a member wouldn't want to dump TPE into a player build that spends half of it's time in the penalty box.
  • Three different players managed to break Parechkin's hit record; Druss Deathwalker first broke it in S84 with 2,882, followed by Vasile Lamb in S90 with 2,877, but Vinny Detroit stands alone at the top, finishing his career in S88 with 3,163 hits.
  • Five separate players have broken the Shots Blocked record since my article, with the top two players all time doing so this season! David Jokinen and Skor McFleury completed their careers with 1,513 and 1,437 SB respectively. Dabnad Shaw (S83-90) and Pierre Emile Bouchard (S84-92) both completed their careers with 1,431 SB, however Robin Galante Nilsson should be considered the true record holder, as he was able to finish his career with 1,424 SB, 17 more than Lidstrom, while also doing it in only eight seasons, as opposed to all of the other record holders who needed nine.

Mentioned: @Gaikoku-hito@Spartan  @Jayhawk @dasboot @dlamb @animal74 @Ahma @Alex @Dabnad @RomanesEuntDomus

I didn't even realise I hold the record for most shots blocked in a career! Thank 9 season careers hahah :D I figure the SB record will be broken even more

thanks tagging me, otherwise I still wouldn't know