Laptop help

Gunner

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a laptop for Christams. I'll pretty much just be doing school work, VHL, SHL, and surfing the web.

Looking for a 15.6" screen, and preferably under $500. I've heard that Acer and ASUS aren't very good, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions or links would be great.

Thanks!

• Commissioner

ASUS are actually pretty decent. Stay away from Acer and gateway.

Not to sound Mac elitist (ultimately you REALLY don't need one and I would never suggest it) but any PCI brand is going to have its share of problems in order to get the price down. HP motherboards are usually bad, Dell has Battery problems, Acer is just awful all-around, etc. Most times it's just good to be weary of what part the maker cheaps out on since that's what you'll probably have to replace later.

I would aim for Toshiba, Samsung or ASUS personally but I haven't bought windows in 6 years so I might be a little out of touch.

Edited by Beketov

I literally made this same post on the SHL a few days ago. I am looking for something between 11.6-15.6 for around 400 bucks. There are only a couple a couple laptops that are in that price range. I was looking at the HP celetron for 300. But the rest are touch screens and chromebooks.

• Senior Admin

Yeah, like every above said, I would stay away from Acer. I reckon the ASUS that you posted would be just fine for light-use but if you ever plan on doing anything more intensive like photoshop, gaming, etc. then it's not your best bet. 

Honestly, I like Dell. From what I hear their battery issues have come along way and back when I used my Dell laptop, they have great customer service. Also their prices are usually pretty good since you buy directly from them. Like Beketov said, Toshiba and Samsung are also great but I find the Samsung's that I have seen to be over priced. Lenovo is an underrated brand that you might want to look into.

Anyways, best advice when looking for a computer - take advantage of reviews! 

I bought an ASUS this summer, it's lovely.  The one you posted would be great, IMO.  My HP still runs after 6 years, but the hard drive copped out after 2 or 3 years and the battery is fucked, and the USB ports are shoddy.  And its built-in speakers suck.  I've heard more bad than good with HP honestly.

But yeah, everything Beketov and AIM said is smart, other than being Apple master race.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a laptop for Christams. I'll pretty much just be doing school work, VHL, SHL, and surfing the web.

Looking for a 15.6" screen, and preferably under $500. I've heard that Acer and ASUS aren't very good, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions or links would be great.

Thanks!

Go to newegg.com and find what you're looking for, then shop that model around the internet for the best deals.  Newegg is a huge computer parts site that has pretty good reviews from people who actually know what they're talking about.

For a screen that size and price, it might be worthwhile to look into something like a chromebook or the likewise.  You can get a pretty good deal if you can stay away from power-hungry gamer rigs.

So to comment on the one you're looking to purchase: 

- Intel Pentium is like the second worst in terms of their processors. i9 (coming soon) will be their best, with i7 being the best currently available. I don't recommend this if you'll be planning to game, stream a lot/use a lot of bandwidth or if you're trying to run virtual machines/2 operating systems on your computer. 

- 4 processor cores and 1TB hard drive however is very nice for the price. You will barely use up that 1TB hard drive unless you like to download blueray movies out the ass. The core processors are good for accelerating the processor. This simply means that it'll run a bit better than a normal/regular Intel Pentium processor, but not great. 

- 8GB and DDR3 is pretty high end in laptops for this generation. I'd say you'd be capable of running some games but nothing like Minecraft, League of Legends (just as examples) smoothly simply due to the processor. If you could find these specs with a better processor, your computer would run smoother. 

- Intel UMA is a good graphic chipset, I'm very fond of it. I think having less USB ports could be a letdown especially for using it at school, but that's because I always have 3 things plugged into my USB ports at all times and need more than two, haha. 

- HDMI is good to have, I don't like the battery life, may want to look at a different option for that reason alone. 

Hope that helps :) 

Personally it depends what you like. If you're in it for the game, AMD6 processor is going to be better than Intel Pentium. If you're using it for stuff like Microsoft office and liek small programs, go with the ASUS one and save some money.