VHLM Hard/Soft Cap

boubabi

As you know, I like to do shit suggestions to the league. ATM, I've reached my VHLM Cap hit (175 placed and 25 banked), I literally just learn banked tpe, which is kind of boring.

I do personally think this was a good idea (the new cap of 200 since the league has evolved since) but I don't get why we should restrict people to keep progressing. Last year, we saw Zoidberg and Harumpf tearing shit up since they were pretty much at 300 tpe at the end of their VHLM career. TPE whores like Kendrick, Boom, Green and me had or will reach a high amount of TPE in the VHLM but the problem is, my player, atm, is as good as Danny Schneider (a VHLM inactive) and since I work hard to achieve that amount of TPE, I don't know why I shouldn't get rewarded in the sim for that.

This doesn't seem like a  suggestion (yet), but I would like to know and discuss the reasons why the BoG and/or the VHLM Commissioners put this rule in place and maybe you could convince me that it should stay the same. I know one of argument was that the recreates have a particular advantage over the first-gen or so but this will be reflected on the draft too so I don't see why we should restrict player's performances for "equality". I mean, BOOM's player and mine will likely stay in the VHLM for a short period of time so lets give the player performance advantages for the VHLM GMs instead.

Of course, lets stay classy on this topic (Looking at you gorlab and Frank(it's an obvious joke(I mean, you aren't a joke but the joke is my joke of making a joke of your recent suggestion)))

*Inception*

I believe they put it in place to discourage recreates from staying down another year and tearing things up by having 300 tpe while new active players have 50 tpe and don't have a great opportunity. 

From a strategical standpoint, I don't like the new rule as a GM cause I can't have a potential 250 tpe goalie and such this season, but from the point above I think it's solid reasoning. 

But still, member who stays longer in the VHLM value more compare to any other "growing" player. I know it won't happen often...but player with high amount of tpe who recreates will likely have the same problem in the future since they will reach the 175 tpe mark at the beginning of the next season. So they will bank their TPE for the rest of the season and don't improve, which freaking sucks at some point

the gorlab tl;dr : FUCK THIS SHIT, I RATHER RETIRE MY PLAYER

Well recreates will win all VHLM awards without the cap, that is a truth considering they will have a better player in the sim. Also more people were upset with the inability to compete against 200+ TPE than to have to sit at the banked area. Also anyone not drafted yet goes to 200 TPE.

What do you mean it will be reflected on the draft? The cap has nothing to do with the draft realistically.

Player A : 175 placed tpe + 75 banked = 250 TPE

Player B : 175 TPE + 0 banked = 175

Lets say, in their season, this will both have the same x amount of points

But in the draft, the player A will likely be drafted way higher since he has a bigger tpe amount. What I'm saying is why trying to even the players when it won't matter in the draft. The Player A has obviously the better player (not talking member wise of course) so why won't we reward the better player ? Or at least give him a chance to make a difference ?

and I had 90 tpe with Linberg (Lundberg at the time) and I wasn't in the top of the league leaders but I didn't care much since it wasn't my primary goal. I mean, if members only based their activity level on that, well their motivation isn't on the right place. I worked hard with Lindberg to have that kind of advantage over other people, I don't see why other members won't have the follow the same path I did with Lindberg.

and I had 90 tpe with Linberg (Lundberg at the time) and I wasn't in the top of the league leaders but I didn't care much since it wasn't my primary goal. I mean, if members only based their activity level on that, well their motivation isn't on the right place. I worked hard with Lindberg to have that kind of advantage over other people, I don't see why other members won't have the follow the same path I did with Lindberg.

That answers this right here. Your personal opinion and values as a member. The minority hated the cap, the majority was in favour of it.

Also you never touched on VHLM awards, which I mentioned above.

If you aren't drafted you go to 200 not 175. It's not about evening up the draft players as opposed to the already drafted players at the 175 mark, it's about the players who start with 0 TPE and join that have to compete against 300 TPE players which is the problem.

I actually did win some awards in the VHLM with Lindberg. And what is the 200 instead of 175 ? I personally stopped placing tpe at 175. And a clear example of the problem could be shown with last year award where an inactive have won an award (Razzle Dazzle) over an active member. This could explain why Danny Schneider (Inactive) could win an award over an active player this season.

And again, I'm not saying I have the only good answer here, I'm glad you guys give me your opinion on that so I could understand your point of view

Edited by boubabi

Razzle Dazzle argument is weak, that had less to do with TPE and more to do with VHLM GM's not having any intelligence.

All players must bank at 175 TPE, but those not drafted yet in the VHL aren't subject to the 200 TPE rule before the season starts. Like I said, Minority.

My personal opinion is that all the VHLm is good for is earning that extra weekly TPE and the 20TPE at the end of the season. It is just a means to an end. We all joined the VHL.. this is just a process players have to go through to get there. Those that remain active are going to be drafted in the first second round (whether you are recreates or first gens) and that's it. 

Since we are getting all these players with 200-300TPE in the VHLm... why don't they just come up to play in the VHL? Like for fuck's sake, 6 of Seattle's 9 players are under 250TPE (4 under 200). Davos don't even have one player with 300TPE...

The roster spots are plentiful and so the tl;dr version is - why care? it's the VHLm.

Razzle Dazzle argument is weak, that had less to do with TPE and more to do with VHLM GM's not having any intelligence.

All players must bank at 175 TPE, but those not drafted yet in the VHL aren't subject to the 200 TPE rule before the season starts. Like I said, Minority.

you literally talked to me via chat because I had 181 TPE placed on my player so it could be cool to know the actual rule

VHLM 175 TPE Cap Changes

- After the end of Season 40, no VHLM player's attributes will be allowed to exceed 175 TPE. All TPE earned to put the player above 175 will be banked until they leave the VHLM.

- The start of season (last Monday of off-season) VHLM TPE cut-off will now be 200 TPE. This means a player can start the season in the VHLM with 175 TPE and 25 banked, earning more banked TPE as the season progresses.

I don't see where it says the 200 tpe rule for undrafted player tbh

Edited by boubabi

@Phil

Because the TPE amount we could win in the VHLM is too attractive to pass. But restricting players to upgrade during the season for that is useless in my opinion. The VHLM always ruled like this, I mean, the 200 tpe cap was clearly a good idea but again, I don't see why we couldn't go further then that.

@Kendrick

I mean, you will clearly always have an advantage over, for exemple, Jerrick Poole, who were in the same draft class. Thats how it is, there is better player and this is how we reward hard working members. Why couldn't we reward members in the VHLM too ? Player will accouter better players in the VHL at some point, why even trying to even that in the VHLM when it's clearly not representing what it really is.

and as you can see, I'm a defensemen so I'm clearly not looking to break any record here, but I was just wondering why this rule have ever been created at first.

Edited by boubabi

ATM, I've reached my VHLM Cap hit (175 placed and 25 banked), I literally just learn banked tpe, which is kind of boring.

Here's the kicker in all of this - if it is boring not being able to improve your player, on a team you aren't affiliated with in any way, why wouldn't you get Karnage to help out Stockholm and maybe win them a game, since he has the team average in tpe anyway basically? You get to see him improve and that fixes your 'boring' problem.

Well, obviously you wouldn't want to for a couple of reasons: a) you don't get the extra TPE benefits so you can't start Karnages VHL career at like 350TPE or something absurd and  b ) Tanking = better chance at lottery which is best for your team.

I just see this whole suggestion as trivial. 

Edited by Phil

Here's the kicker in all of this - if it is boring not being able to improve your player, on a team you aren't affiliated with in any way, why wouldn't you get Karnage to help out Stockholm and maybe win them a game, since he has the team average in tpe anyway basically? You get to see him improve and that fixes your 'boring' problem.

Well, obviously you wouldn't want to for a couple of reasons: a) you don't get the extra TPE benefits so you can't start Karnages VHL career at like 350TPE or something absurd and   B) Tanking = better chance at lottery which is best for your team.

I just see this whole suggestion as trivial. 

I would if i could obviously. But since I cannot play more games then anyone (it would give me 72 more games then anyone else)

Plz Phil, don't get ignorant here. I mean, I'm literally not drafted yet, I can't go in the VHL at any point 

Edited by boubabi

@Kendrick

I mean, you will clearly always have an advantage over, for exemple, Jerrick Poole, who were in the same draft class. Thats how it is, there is better player and this is how we reward hard working members. Why couldn't we reward members in the VHLM too ? Player will accouter better players in the VHL at some point, why even trying to even that in the VHLM when it's clearly not representing what it really is.

and as you can see, I'm a defensemen so I'm clearly not looking to break any record here, but I was just wondering why this rule have ever been created at first.

I already told you! The minority was against it and more new members were crying foul at the thought of going against 300 TPE guys in the VHLM. What does my player over Poole have to do with it? Something tells me this whole suggestion was brought up with personal gain behind it instead of league gain.

What you are saying is why should we curb the production of a VHLM player when they will clearly go on to a fast TPE earning schedule when they reach the VHL anyways. What you are forgetting is that we also want to bring in new members, if we don't curb they will just get discouraged and leave. I just find it funny because for the amount of GM's who want new members to come in and load the draft pool up, they seem to be against the cap which allows us to keep some of those drafts around. But hey, I'm not a GM so I shouldn't care.

Well, if you think that every members who doesn't win any awards is discouraged well I hope you aren't at anypoint OK with the capitalist system that we are on. I won't be freaking discouraged if i see someone driving a ferrari when I clearly can't.

If you base your opinion on members crying about their player performance an you based your opinion on gorlab's attitude because that's clearly not the case on new members. It,s just being realistic, hoping parity in a league that clearly don't just seems inappropriate imo. 

This rule is made to help new members. Imagine how intimidating, and disheartening it to see your 0TPE player, who may get the occasional point, go against others who pot 5 goals a game. While I personally don't care about personal statistics, many people do and if we want new members to stay active, they need to be able to see some kind of results in their player or else they will just leave :S

Well, if you think that every members who doesn't win any awards is discouraged well I hope you aren't at anypoint OK with the capitalist system that we are on. I won't be freaking discouraged if i see someone driving a ferrari when I clearly can't.

If you base your opinion on members crying about their player performance an you based your opinion on gorlab's attitude because that's clearly not the case on new members. It,s just being realistic, hoping parity in a league that clearly don't just seems inappropriate imo. 

I think this is boiling down to different ideologies :P

Edited by James

Besides, in the grand scheme of things, in a career where it's quite achievable to get over 1.000TPE... what is the difference of the one or two TPE you MAY POSIBBLY get from the VHLm awards going to do for you?

Phil, I'm not targeting player awards at all. My whole point is that I don't see why, me, as a member, I couldn't be more valuable for Brastislava then any other member. Bratislava drafted my with already over 175 tpe, but what is the difference between a top 2 pick and a late first rounder if both will acheive 175 tpe at the trade deadline ? I don't see the advantage of having a quality player if everybody will be at the same amouth of tpe at some point in the VHLM

Edited by boubabi

It's a lot cause on this one. The BOG and Victor/Jardy/Higgins were scolded by half a dozen people (all being newer members) for the fact they have to go up against people they can't compete with (the likes of O'Malley & Richardson) who had 300+ TPE. We looked at the situation combined with Smarch and FlyersFan's opinions and decided that instead of discouraging members away we'd love to keep them around. If that's a challenging concept to understand then I'm not sure you will like being a GM or a head of anything to do with recruitment. Because if scaring the majority (new members) away in favour of keeping the prominent 175 level guys happy is what we should stand for, well then here you have it; the VHL will stay at the 60-70 or so players it has now and never increase.

Like I said, this seems fuelled by personal gain, not league gain. I'll let Devise or Victor come share in what they can add.

Lets look at Sam Teibert : 104 TPE vs Lord Karnage 175 + TPE

at the beginning of the playoff, we can all agree that we will be both at 175 tpe. But how Teibert is more valuable then Karnage ? Well, if Teibert stays in the VHLM next season (because he stays below the 200 tpe mark) so we could agree that Teibert has a higher value since Bratislava can have him at least 2 seasons right ? (compared to Karnage since he will go up next season)

So whats the point of drafting Karnage 2nd overall or Teibert 11th if he clearly has an higher value ? 

Phil, I'm not targeting player awards at all. My whole point is that I don't see why, me, as a member, I couldn't be more valuable for Brastislava then any other member. Bratislava drafted my with already over 175 tpe, but what is the difference between a top 2 pick and a late first rounder if both will acheive 175 tpe at the trade deadline ? I don't see the advantage of having a quality player if everybody will be at the same amouth of tpe at some point in the VHLM

The difference is that at the draft they will be a top 2 pick and a late first round and other players won't have left at the start of their 0 TPE careers. You are purely thinking at a 175 level with no regard for the new members, it's coming into selfish territory.

It's a lot cause on this one. The BOG and Victor/Jardy/Higgins were scolded by half a dozen people (all being newer members) for the fact they have to go up against people they can't compete with (the likes of O'Malley & Richardson) who had 300+ TPE. We looked at the situation combined with Smarch and FlyersFan's opinions and decided that instead of discouraging members away we'd love to keep them around. If that's a challenging concept to understand then I'm not sure you will like being a GM or a head of anything to do with recruitment. Because if scaring the majority (new members) away in favour of keeping the prominent 175 level guys happy is what we should stand for, well then here you have it; the VHL will stay at the 60-70 or so players it has now and never increase.

Like I said, this seems fuelled by personal gain, not league gain. I'll let Devise or Victor come share in what they can add.

Well, I do think that your opinion is very unrealistic and it doesn't fit in this kind of league. How about sucking every new member's dick so they can stay around ? It looks like that tbh. If they are discouraged because of that, well they can go return and play NHL 15 on rookie level, they will be happy with scoring 500 goals with one player. On a league with real humans, competition is key and limiting other members for it it's unrealistic in my opinion.

The main problem of player discouraging shouldn't be about their lack of pts but more about low locker room activity, and that is the main problem in the VHLM. Like I said, if you focused your opinion on gorlab's attitude of loosing 2 games with his player and saying that he will retire, well I do think you are wrong.