VHLM Hard/Soft Cap

boubabi

I mean fuck, everybody here is a grown man/girl, we shouldn't encourage babies (which I look like one atm because i'm complaining that I should get better results, but I think my point is that we shouldn't stop a member from placing TPE if he works hard) because they cannot have result in a sim league. Actually, I do think they will always have result for their TPE amount. A 100 TPE forward will likely get a production of a 100 tpe player. And if he plays with better players, congrats ! He might get more. If the league was filled with tons of 300 tpe defensive defense men, well, I could agree that the production of everyone will likely go down, but now it's just giving a chance to everyone to get their full TPE potential in the league for a short time.

tl;dr Sorry, there is no tl;dr version of that. I think you should read everything to understand my point.

and the league have grown in recent memories and we still had some dominants players in the VHLM. If you really think that the main reason why we are loosing some members is that well, I do think you are wrong. It wouldn't be the first time somebody goes inactive in a sim league and we don't blame his sim performance because of that.

Edited by boubabi

• Admin

Wait, but Karnage cant be drafted! You are the GM.. he automatically goes to Stockholm o.O

lol, he's still a S42 player.

Anyway, I take your point on board and in fact it might be time for VHLM GMs to consider a different approach and strategy to drafting.

That said, you are still a significant minority in terms of your opinion and it is much easier arguing with you and other recreates about this change than arguing with new members about the old system. Recreates are much less likely to ragequit.

lol, he's still a S42 player.

Anyway, I take your point on board and in fact it might be time for VHLM GMs to consider a different approach and strategy to drafting.

That said, you are still a significant minority in terms of your opinion and it is much easier arguing with you and other recreates about this change than arguing with new members about the old system. Recreates are much less likely to ragequit.

That is something as we continue to adjust/tinker with the VHLM, the GM's are going to have to account for anyways. Why Karnage, who has higher TPE levels (over 175 at the draft) would be taken higher in the draft versus a solid earning younger player is beyond me. Not because you haven't earned the TPE Boubabi, but regardless of if the updating cap was changed, you are a one season VHLM player. Drafting someone who is active, interested, and looks to be in the VHLM for a season after the draft puts your team in a better position.

Honestly this conversation has been happening in the BoG even before you posted this. Coach also brought up this issue with his own player, and as I said in there I doubt he and you will be the only re-creates to take issue with the way the system works. But don't just assume the change was made just for Gorlab. Kendrick speaks the truth, there was a bunch of newer members who had issues with how re-creates could get crazy high TPE in the VHLM and tear the league up simply because they retire at the right time. As you all should know, it would mean they have more TPE than the minimum cap before they were eligible to be drafted to the VHL, so it is impossible to send them up.

The only other solution I could see, would be maybe increasing the update cap from 175 to something higher or trying to find another system.  

I see where Boubs is coming from but the rule is for the best. I remember when I had 0 TPE...it was fucking terrible, but I stayed as active as I could and earned 800+. Then I had the privilege of recreating and taking advantage of the carry over rule to establish Odin as a better player from the start. We(all recreates) have experienced that and now we(S33 Guinea pigs, lol) get to test the new TPE rules as well.

Of course I would have liked the opportunity to tear shit up in the VHLM, but the rule was changed so I'll just deal with it and bank. I'm concentrating on being the best player I can be for the S42 draft(the same as Boubabi probably), knowing that I've hit the cap and have no choice.

CxhomG0.gif

• Senior Admin

In a situation like this it's going to be impossible to please everyone and, given that it's the VHLM, I'm inclined to favour whatever is best for the new members over recreates. 

Only way I would ever support raising or removing the cap is if recreates were ineligible for things like achievement tracker and other vhlm tpe incentives. 

You should think about why you are already at 175 TPE so freaking early in your career boubs... It's because you have already benefitted plenty from the system that we have in place right now: There is carry-over, recruitment TPE, deadline recreation, store purchases carrying over and welfare bonuses, all things that a recreate can use and that a first-generation player has little to no access to. In other words this is already a big competitive advantage for you and other high-TPE recreates, but apparently it's something you take for granted.

The fact that you can already be at 175 TPE at the start of your very first actual VHLM-season while every first-gen can count himself lucky if he even gets close to 100 TPE until this point shows that you still have a big advantage over any new member and even over most other recreates as well. Hell I know that I wasn't too active with Collier for parts of his career, but it took me until midway though last season until I got to 175 TPE with my recreate, so it really isn't like everyone gets to 175 TPE in no time and then just stays at the same level all season.

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus

The fact that a few recreates are complaining about this means it has been successful already in my books. The key to this was to even the playing field in the VHLM while not affecting your VHL career (as a recreate).

The fact that a few recreates are complaining about this means it has been successful already in my books. The key to this was to even the playing field in the VHLM while not affecting your VHL career (as a recreate).

Or, alternatively - that it sucks not being able to improve while 4th year inactives dominate.  I am all about catering to younger members, but you can't totally discount recreates (which is exactly what you're doing).

Feel like this would especially suck for goalies who have no ability to become even halfway decent at 175 TPE.

"You're unhappy, and that makes me happy."

- Sterling

This whole thing came up because a couple of players (Zoidberg, O'Malley, Richardson) got about 100 TPE from recruiting and triple predictions and inflated the shit out of their players after being in the VHLM.  Good on them, but that was due to yet another mistake on the BOG's part.

While we're at it, let's put a cap on total TPE earned per season.  The league's just not fun for rookies in the VHL because older players have too many TPE.  Same logic you're using.  Let's put it into action.  Smh.

At least raise the cap to be the same as the 200 TPE (where you're allowing players to stay down at) and get rid of inactives. Three season max in the VHLM - after that, you come up to the VHL whether you're signed or not.

Edited by CoachReilly

It definitely sucks for goalies, as a balanced approach with that cap doesn't transition well at all. I had that issue with the cap in the SHL, I wasn't able to compete with skaters who could focus on 2-3 attributes and dominate. 

However, it's just the VHLM. 

Like I said, it's not about tearing shit up, but I don't see why I couldn't help my team with my TPE level. It makes the VHLM "experience" even more useless. TBH, if I "recreates" doesn't enjoy their time in the VHLM, good luck having a fun time in the LR. Newer members won't be active in the LR if they don't see any actions by other members, and thats is the main reason of inactivity.

Now, I couldn't care less of the VHLM and the "fun experience" I had with Lindberg there seems over. ( I sound dramatic but what I mean is it fucking sucks and we should raise the cap to 200 at least)