VHLM Hard/Soft Cap

boubabi

What if we made it so recreates that retire at the deadline, are eligible for that years draft instead of waiting until the following one?

It would make it much harder for recreates to start the vhlm season already above the 175tpe cap.

Edited by James

• Admin

Boubabi, just state what you want.

You want to score more? Ask your GM to trade you to a shit team.

It's only 10 games in ffs. In S28 in the VHL I was leading the league in goals and tied for first in points with Jenkins early in on the season. Leading Calgary in nearly every major statistical category by a pretty big margin and then after 30 games everything goes down the drain and I score like 3 points in the remaining 40+ games. I had 175 TPE, things can even out.

You guys have this great privilege of recreating with a high amount of TPE and can also stack up on retiring right after the trade deadline to extend the time you stay in the VHLM so you can start your career with 300ish TPE. You're upset because you're feeling bored that your player isn't outperforming others in the VHLM? You chose this route, live with it. VHLM trophies don't count for much, other than the cup and you will have a better chance at that than the inactive guy that's outscoring you.

Bravehart-Chershenko ftw

thank you for da memories

Boubabi, just state what you want.

You want to score more? Ask your GM to trade you to a shit team.

It's only 10 games in ffs. In S28 in the VHL I was leading the league in goals and tied for first in points with Jenkins early in on the season. Leading Calgary in nearly every major statistical category by a pretty big margin and then after 30 games everything goes down the drain and I score like 3 points in the remaining 40+ games. I had 175 TPE, things can even out.

You guys have this great privilege of recreating with a high amount of TPE and can also stack up on retiring right after the trade deadline to extend the time you stay in the VHLM so you can start your career with 300ish TPE. You're upset because you're feeling bored that your player isn't outperforming others in the VHLM? You chose this route, live with it. VHLM trophies don't count for much, other than the cup and you will have a better chance at that than the inactive guy that's outscoring you.

Do you even read bro ? My pts isn't on personal stats at all. I'm a defender, I'm not looking to break any record here. I just want to help my team win and makes the better player better, that's all.

Gosh, for real, do I have to explain everything back ? 

Edited by boubabi

What if we made it so recreates that retire at the deadline, are eligible for that years draft instead of waiting until the following one?

Then recreates would retire in the pre-season. 

250 probably is too high, it's tough to tell how much damage would get done in the sim. I don't suspect many players would have 250 though until at least deadline in the VHLM. Even the good players. Is there even enough TPE with max carry over to do that? But higher than 175 for sure. 

well, just letting you know that I'm fine with having 250 tpe

Tbh, your opinion on high recreates is pretty much based on last year and with O'Malley and Richardson. Roidberg and those 2 were pretty much tpe whores. But before that, the TPE leader board was pretty fine.

People started moaning about this since Slaughter, but it has been a more longstanding concern for new members (I.E read the new member surveys) where they consistently bitched about feeling intimidated. I stand to the lose a lot from weaking the benefits toward re-creates, but it's better for more people in the league.

Yeah as Sterling said Boubabi, sometimes we get criticized of just making stats up but we really aren't in a lot of cases. The most recent extreme examples if anything probably forced changes quicker than they would/should of came. But data collecting happens on a lot of fronts whether its new member surveys, or members of the BoG communicating via PM/chat with people. A lot of times people are intimidated to express a public opinion in a format like this with fear of being chastised because they disagree with the way something is being done. That fear got fueled further when new members started a debate and proceeded to get chastised for it a while back. 

Point being, there is some rhyme and reason to the changes being made. 

Then recreates would retire in the pre-season. 

250 probably is too high, it's tough to tell how much damage would get done in the sim. I don't suspect many players would have 250 though until at least deadline in the VHLM. Even the good players. Is there even enough TPE with max carry over to do that? But higher than 175 for sure. 

But wouldnt it at least reduce the amount of tpe a recreate could earn before the vhlm season starts? Since it seems people are complaining that it is boring to already be at 175tpe and are forced to just bank the rest of their points. Also it would provide an opportunity for the ridiculously high tpe recreates to "skip" the vhlm by being drafted and playing in the vhl?

Im probably not explaining my reasoning the best :P

I propose to remove the bonus TPE members gain via welfare. It gives a too high advantage over new members who could be discouraged and leaving the site. So lets make the welfare 2 TPE for everyone !

(It's another joke fyi)

Do you even read bro ? My pts isn't on personal stats at all. I'm a defender, I'm not looking to break any record here. I just want to help my team win and makes the better player better, that's all.

Gosh, for real, do I have to explain everything back ? 

aka you want to have better personal stats so your team does better.

But wouldnt it at least reduce the amount of tpe a recreate could earn before the vhlm season starts? Since it seems people are complaining that it is boring to already be at 175tpe and are forced to just bank the rest of their points. Also it would provide an opportunity for the ridiculously high tpe recreates to "skip" the vhlm by being drafted and playing in the vhl?

Im probably not explaining my reasoning the best :P

It could potentially work. But no matter what we do there has to be a cut off date for when people create what draft they are eligible for. Re-creates generally always go to find the sweet spot to where they can earn the most TPE before they go to the VHL. So you would get those who either find that spot and still hit the cap before the season ends. Or people would just wait until after the cut off date and begin earning so they are eligible for the next draft. 

With VHL being the priority in terms of stats and records, a majority of re-creates want to be ready to do damage the moment they hit the VHL. So generally they will find ways to ensure they get as much milk out of whatever system we put in place. 

I think the biggest thing to worry about is just dumping your points in a 'to be used later' fund.  It's just not as interesting to me, but I guess I'm part of a minority.

I think at the very least, the following two actions should be taken:

1) have matching caps for staying in the VHLM and updating (i.e. either 200 / 200 or 175 / 175)... it's stupid to have different measures.

2) no VHLM players allowed to play more than 3 full seasons.. there's no point to it... everyone agrees i think - and if someone disagrees, i haven't heard a reason?

also - opening up another big can of worms, but what about applying a salary cap / salary floor to the VHLM to level the playing field? might make sense.... that way, you avoid teams with 10 175 TPE players that just run through the schedule. also require teams to not trade away their entire squad.

salary floor may be tough... but cap i think could work.

Edited by CoachReilly

If they are destroying teams it's because of a good management. We shouldn't install a ceiling because a team is "already too good"

Dafuq do you want then.

Inactives can always do good if they're put in a situation to succeed.

Don't get what you guys gain on harping on a new member because he's doing well on a team that doesn't have much top-end talent. He can get a chance to get like 20 TPE from the tracker and that's what matters for a guy like him that's developing.

Yeaaaah, lets remove all inactives after three seasons because screw league parity. <_<

At the end of the day, someone will be pissed. I'd rather it be guys liek Coach and Boubs who have been around a while and have the thick skin to stick it out over a new member who feels completely intimidated by this intricate system we have in place.

Dafuq do you want then.

Inactives can always do good if they're put in a situation to succeed.

Don't get what you guys gain on harping on a new member because he's doing well on a team that doesn't have much top-end talent. He can get a chance to get like 20 TPE from the tracker and that's what matters for a guy like him that's developing.

Yeaaaah, lets remove all inactives after three seasons because screw league parity. <_<

Can you expand upon your last pt a little?

• Admin

At the end of the day, someone will be pissed. I'd rather it be guys liek Coach and Boubs who have been around a while and have the thick skin to stick it out over a new member who feels completely intimidated by this intricate system we have in place.

Pretty much this, as I said way back in the early pages.

But I'm sure we'll tinker with this.

Because it sucks when there's a capacity for these guys to lead the league in scoring.  How is it good that they take points away from younger people who potentially will grow into the VHL?

Someone at less than 115 TPE in 3 seasons should just retire IMO

• Senior Admin

Pretty much this, as I said way back in the early pages.

But I'm sure we'll tinker with this.

Actually I said this way back in early pages:

In a situation like this it's going to be impossible to please everyone and, given that it's the VHLM, I'm inclined to favour whatever is best for the new members over recreates. 

Only way I would ever support raising or removing the cap is if recreates were ineligible for things like achievement tracker and other vhlm tpe incentives. 

Words of wisdom. 

• Admin

Copycat!

lol, he's still a S42 player.

Anyway, I take your point on board and in fact it might be time for VHLM GMs to consider a different approach and strategy to drafting.

That said, you are still a significant minority in terms of your opinion and it is much easier arguing with you and other recreates about this change than arguing with new members about the old system. Recreates are much less likely to ragequit.