Official Fitness Thread

JardyB10

Last semester I started going to the gym decently often, which I was able to maintain pretty much the entire semester, which would be the first time in five and a half years. This semester I'm doing even better, and it's actually become part of my routine. To the point where I should probably start optimizing and being more efficient.

With that anecdote out of the way, I feel like it's past time the VHL has a gym bro thread. These days I feel like getting and being in shape is an important thing. For someone who has some extra pounds, shedding them ought to help them look better and be less likely to die down the road.

For me, I have the opposite issue, as I've always been quite skinny and lanky, and gaining weight is hard because my metabolism is on cocaine 24/7. Which, you know, there's worse problems to have.

ANYWAY, I think a thread for everyone to share and support their respective fitness regimes seems like a swell idea. That way we can all get jacked and tanned and pick up all the hot internet bitches like Cally and Jamie.

So yeah, fire away!

Typically my workouts take a bit over an hour. Today I'm working on Legs and Back. I definitely try to do squats and calf raises, and I've started with lunges as well at my brother's suggestion. If I feel like having a longer workout or if the squat racks are too busy, I'll also do leg press.

For my back I kind of wing it depending on how busy the gym is. I always do those reverse sit-up thingies on the reverse sit-up thingy "machine," and then I do some various row-y and pull-y type workouts. It's a good time.

Typically my workouts take a bit over an hour. Today I'm working on Legs and Back. I definitely try to do squats and calf raises, and I've started with lunges as well at my brother's suggestion. If I feel like having a longer workout or if the squat racks are too busy, I'll also do leg press.

For my back I kind of wing it depending on how busy the gym is. I always do those reverse sit-up thingies on the reverse sit-up thingy "machine," and then I do some various row-y and pull-y type workouts. It's a good time.

You can also so an inverse sit-up to stabilize your back. It's similar to a regular sit-up except you lie on your back and bring your knees to your head, instead of the opposite motion.

I used to be quite lanky as well growing up, it's just repetition and after awhile you get definition in your muscles to the point where they noticeable as being someone who hits the gym. The most important thing is your eating habits though and the amount of fluids you restore in your body. I don't drink, so it's easier to stay hydrated on my end but what we were told in University is "Lift smart, not heavy". Its a lifestyle too, if you eat shit, you'll feel like it. If you lift like a pansy, you'll be a pansy.

I'm too cheap to pay for a gym membership and instead spent a little bit of money scrounging up a bench, some weights (crappy barbell and dumbbells), and a few other bits.  Over the course of the last couple years I've added a few things, and tried a few things.  I did Rushfit for a while, but I'm not looking to lose weight, and was getting my Cardio elsewhere so I stopped it after a while. 

Biggest change was diet for me, like upping my amount of 1000 Calories a day and just adding in more Protein.  Then I started following a youtube routine online which is really basic, but doesn't take me long to do. 

I speedskate 2-3 times a week for my cardio, workout 3 times a week on the other days, and the last day is a rest day.  I have been saving up to get a decent road bike to switch to once speedskating is over.  I'm an older guy (compared to most of you here), and so I'm just looking to stay in okay shape for my family, and put on a little weight for the first time in my life.  Since the summer I've had some good success with it.

Good sleep has been important for me as well.

Yeah, I've recently began cooking more so I can eat more and not have it be shitty. Although I dried the shit out of my roast last night...

And swimming and rock climbing I hear are great for all-around workouts. The university gives me free access to both, but I haven't used either yet. In six years.

Yeah, I've recently began cooking more so I can eat more and not have it be shitty. Although I dried the shit out of my roast last night...

And swimming and rock climbing I hear are great for all-around workouts. The university gives me free access to both, but I haven't used either yet. In six years.

Do you have a workout guide or regiment you use? Or just winging it? I'll PM you a guide someone sent me if you only ever have 30 minutes because of work/school to do just to strengthen core muscles and become more balanced for a weight style workout.

Anyone have diet suggestions for a student who is poor as fuck?

Trying to drop weight (not a small amount) and have been hitting the gym consistently but I just find eating on a student budget incredibly difficult.

Other than cutting out the shit I'm addicted to (pop and chips) I don't really know what to do.

Edited by Advantage

Trying to drop weight (not a small amount) and have been hitting the gym consistently but I just find eating on a student budget incredibly difficult.

Other than cutting out the shit I'm addicted to (pop and chips) I don't really know what to do.

PBJ sandwiches with a side of rice for the rest of your life. Huge money saver. 

Still to the naturals. Lots of fruit as snacks instead of carbs. Lots of veggies instead of potatoes or rice. You work with substituting those for a while and you'll notice a difference. If you ever have time to listen to a podcast or music by yourself, do it while walking outside on your iPod. I'm no health expert myself but I cut a majority of that stuff out 6 years ago and I feel somewhat "pure". Not Phil Knight gym rat pure, but pure.

Cut out those two and fast food and you're good. I think there is a good tremendous website dedicated to students eTing healthy food on a budget. Google it