General Football Discussion

Victor

Oh I got a question and figure this is the best place to ask. Why do the English (perhaps all of Europe?) talk about wages per week, and not wages per year? Does this practice carryover to everyday life as well?

I always thought it was only England/UK who did that. I doubt it extends to the average person working at their job, where I assume they use the standard YEARLY wage to describe their income level. 

Oh I got a question and figure this is the best place to ask. Why do the English (perhaps all of Europe?) talk about wages per week, and not wages per year? Does this practice carryover to everyday life as well?

Not sure why that is, it doesn't carry over to everyday though, cause many jobs get paid monthly. Typically, if you're at a lower level job (like myself), we'll refer to how much we earn per hour, whereas higher up manager types will refer to their yearly income.

I always thought it was only England/UK who did that. I doubt it extends to the average person working at their job, where I assume they use the standard YEARLY wage to describe their income level. 

My guess is that it's a healthy combination of several factors. Like YEAH! said above, I work a "salaried" job which means that I can expect to receive $X per year. Given that there are 52 weeks in a year and I am paid bi-weekly I can then expect to earn $X/26 = $N. As an example let's say I make $52,000/year. $52,000/26 = $2,000/paycheck.

So I could, theoretically, go around telling everyone I make $1,000/week and when you put it that way it makes it seem a lot smaller than $52,000/year.

So I think instead of out-and-out saying "Lionel Messi makes $20,800,000/year (which sounds outrageous) they just say "Lionel Messi makes $400k/week. That also sounds outrageous but unless you do the math out it sounds perfectly reasonable.

Add to that, Europeans are VERY particular about the cost of an event ticket. They consider, for the most part, a $40 front row ticket to be rather expensive whereas we in North America consider a $200 ticket for front row seating to be the norm. 

So mostly it's a deception tactic in my mind.

the moment we've all been waiting for tyler's top 5 players on earth list (no keepers tho lol)

1. Messi -- duh

2. Ronaldo -- duh

3. Hazard -- blow me if u disagree

4. Robben -- hes bald and looks weird but hes fat

5. Suarez -- wow i really went off the board with these picks poor liverpool lol

the moment we've all been waiting for tyler's top 5 players on earth list (no keepers tho lol)

1. Messi -- duh

2. Ronaldo -- duh

3. Hazard -- blow me if u disagree

4. Robben -- hes bald and looks weird but hes fat

5. Suarez -- wow i really went off the board with these picks poor liverpool lol

Messi

Ronaldo

Aguero

Neuer

Ibrahimovic

You're so far off. Maybe Hazard is in the top ten. Maybe.

Messi

Ronaldo

Aguero

Neuer

Ibrahimovic

You're so far off. Maybe Hazard is in the top ten. Maybe.

well im not doing keepers because i dont care

but ibra?? it isn't 2011. Hazard is easily better than him now. Aguero you could argue versus him or suarez, but I am confident in suarez as my choice striker.

I mean Hazard won premier league POTY over Aguero. I am pretty confident in saying there isn't a team on earth who would take Ibra or Aguero over Hazard. In fact I'd go so far as to say, due to age, Hazard would be the third player in some sort of weird alternate reality fantasy draft. Messi 1, Ronaldo 2, Hazard 3. I would probably be able to put Robben ahead of Hazar tho all in all. 

I mean jesus Ibra is my favorite player on earth because he's a rockstar, but I wouldn't put him in the top 5 anymore.

well im not doing keepers because i dont care

but ibra?? it isn't 2011. Hazard is easily better than him now. Aguero you could argue versus him or suarez, but I am confident in suarez as my choice striker.

I mean Hazard won premier league POTY over Aguero. I am pretty confident in saying there isn't a team on earth who would take Ibra or Aguero over Hazard. In fact I'd go so far as to say, due to age, Hazard would be the third player in some sort of weird alternate reality fantasy draft. Messi 1, Ronaldo 2, Hazard 3. I would probably be able to put Robben ahead of Hazar tho all in all. 

I mean jesus Ibra is my favorite player on earth because he's a rockstar, but I wouldn't put him in the top 5 anymore.

Potential is not a quantifiable skill. If that was true then Freddy Adu would be first overall.

And sure thing. Fair play Suarez is lights out. He also doesn't go down to injury like Aguero. Having said that I think they both bring something different and that Aguero has better overall vision (in a Trequartista capacity) while Suarez is an out and out #9.

And neglecting keepers outright tells me right off how much I should weight that opinion. Plus POTY and EPL TOTY was completely corrupt. I don't trust those hobos to rank sandwiches at a deli let alone footballers.

Zlatan gets forgotten about in Paris. I bet people rate Lewandowski over Zlatan and that's a shame.

Edited by brooks.

Ibra over Hazard for sure. Ibra changes games if you piss him off, Hazard still has a couple years of consistency to go before Ibra is passed.

Thank you, common sense.

think you guys are looking at it differently is all.

tyler's looking at it from a worth standpoint, you're looking at it in the light of recent and expected immediate performance. no harm

I place worth on GK. Tyler doesn't. Ergo Tyler is a fucking moron.

JK I believe differences in opinion are okay.

think you guys are looking at it differently is all.

tyler's looking at it from a worth standpoint, you're looking at it in the light of recent and expected immediate performance. no harm

Yeah but when you do the Top 5 you don't go by worth, you go by what they've shown you.

Hazard would be higher if we judged on how many years left a player has in their career, room for more potential to be filled and team surroundings (aka players).

But it doesn't matter Neuer is #3

Yeah but when you do the Top 5 you don't go by worth, you go by what they've shown you.

Hazard would be higher if we judged on how many years left a player has in their career, room for more potential to be filled and team surroundings (aka players).

Yeah mate I seriously regretted putting Neuer at 4 but I was too lazy to edit it. 

all depends on what your definition of best is... if you're building a team with much forward looking appetite, Ibra wouldn't be a top 5 player, would he?

all depends on what your definition of best is... if you're building a team with much forward looking appetite, Ibra wouldn't be a top 5 player, would he?

No. But I took the question as Best Now, and Ibra fits the bill.

My list is easy:

Messi

Ronaldo

Neuer

Stewart Downing

Ibra

1. Andy Carroll

2. El Hadji Diouf

3. Robbie keane

4. Stewart Downing

5. Fernando Morientes

Oh, sorry. I thought you were debating worst Liverpool signings.

Carry on.

HAHAHAHAHA YOU POST YOUR LIST AT THE EXACT SAME TIME AND PUT DOWNING ON AS A JOKE. I love you Boom haha

benteke in the fold for liverpool

United made a late bid too. I really don't expect anyone to be signing for Liverpool this summer. Maybe in the winter if they're doing well.