General Football Discussion

Victor

He's 37... This would have been a major deal ten years ago. Maybe still huge news four years ago. Now, though? He's just a name.

He is still pretty good in the air.. Not so fast or agile anymore.. Or at least was not last season when i watched him quite few times. I think he is still a useful player.

No idea how much they are paying him though but if they got him for quite cheap, even better signing. 

Edited by jRuutu

when he left barcelona, he had 4 goals in 32 apps which is comparable to the 7 goals in 40 games with chelsea (Drogba). He will probably look like the 14 goals in 34 with the Galatasaray

Edited by boubabi

Totally different style of player though. Drogba's style causes him to worsen a lot quicker than Henry's with age. Henry ran like a gazelle, Drogba is an aerial threat. Similar to what Mario Gomez is like, a big powerful guy but not the fastest guy in the world. They tend to fizzle out faster than the guys who have their legs with them still.

Yeah sure, that's why I think he will do just fine

But what I just said makes your "thinking" somewhat reversed. You think he'll be fine but his body type and style make him more common to fizzle out. Henry had legs, meaning he could run and make plays happen if he wasn't scoring. Drogba is not all about that style.

I thought the general feeling was that aerial guys are less affected by age because they remain big.

For a counter-example, see Luca Toni vs Fernando Torres.

There are exceptions, but usually big guys have the game go too fast for them. Having your legs and being in shape are far more important as that age thing slaps you in the face. Otherwise they become way too one-dimensional.

I figure there are people here that would appreciate this: Got last minute box seats to see Man U/PSG at Soldier Field tonight. I'm slowly growing into becoming more of a soccer fan, so wasn't a transformative experience or anything, but it was a lot of fun. I like Zlatan even more after seeing him in person.

Know there's some Football Manager fans in here so figured I'd share this that I found:

http://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3fioa1/the_millenial_sim_is_here_1000_years_of_simming/

A guy simmed 1000 seasons of Premier League football, and basically the main things we can learn from this are that Burnley and Sheffield United are going to fuck shit up and Chelsea absolutely won't. 

And also teams are going to have stadiums that can seat 500,000 people. 

Edited by YEAH!

• Admin

hahaha that is amazing

Pretty weird though, I mean all professional sports more or less started their current iterations of leagues/tournaments in the late 19th/early 20th centuries at the earliest. Meaning we haven't missed tooo much. Even in 100 years that would be so much information to take in. It would lose meaning imo.

Lol'd at Netherlands' first World Cup win though. Imagine they lost another 51 finals.

I'm actually downloading the save now because I'm really curious as to the financial state of these teams. It doesn't look like (if my math of Dollars is correct) the Bale and Ronaldo transfers have been overtaken so I think it'd be interesting to see if that's cause the game just can't program the inflation (which is fair tbh, don't think they plan for regular 1000 season sims) or if the economy has just gotten absolutely fucked.

Stealing from the top comment of the Reddit thread to highlight that Principat had a 257 game losing streak in the Europa league.

That's so mind-blowingly impressive.

Stealing from the top comment of the Reddit thread to highlight that Principat had a 257 game losing streak in the Europa league.

That's so mind-blowingly impressive.

Yeah, that's San Marino levels of craptacular. That along with the Lincoln (Gibralter) side that haven't won a Europa League game in 740 games, or 996 years.