Claimed:the truth behind the approval of the HSK/TOR deadline deal [Final 6/6]

scoop

"Soon" is now; the truth behind the approval of the HSK/TOR deadline deal

Last season, the VHL commissioners approved of a trade that was not accepted until after the deadline. Normally this would not be allowed, but in this specific case there were unusual circumstances behind the delayed acceptance. The reason behind pushing the trade through, however, was never revealed publicly. People questioned the decision, and theories were crafted as to why it was allowed to go through. One of the more questionable aspects of the decision was that it was never even really addressed that there was even a decision being made; none of the commissioners came out and even acknowledged that the trade was late and they had reasons for its approval. When it started to be questioned, the commissioner who finally spoke up about it, unfortunately, was William Shaw, who is also the general manager of the Helsinki Titans. Even though he was not a part of the decision that was made, it would have been more sensible for another commissioner to issue the message. But that was not the case, and Shaw made the declaration that "this trade went through for a specific reason that will be clear soon." That reason is finally coming to light now.

don-draper.jpg

VHL commissioner and Helsinki general manager Don Draper

Before I get to that reason, I feel it appropriate to take a look at the trade first. Going to Helsinki was Toronto's Season 45 first round pick. No doubt, this pick had incredible value at the time, given the early strength of the Season 45 draft class. With Toronto almost certainly heading toward a rebuild beginning in Season 44, the pick was, and still is, likely to become a top four selection. In return, Toronto received Tyson Stokes, a forward in his fifth season. This deal was part of a series of deals between the two teams negotiated before the start of the season. At this point in the season, however, it was looking highly unlikely that Toronto would stand a chance int he playoffs. While the Seattle Bears showed that regular season standings are not a tell-all indicator of how the playoffs will go, the Legion were embarrassed by the eventual champs in round one. While Stokes was a respectable player, it's hard to argue that he was worth the pick that Toronto gave up, considering the team's low chance of success.

The controversy behind the deal came from the fact that it was accepted by Toronto's general manager Tyler Edgar after the trade deadline. VHL precedent requires that trades be accepted by both involved teams prior to the set deadline; simply having the trade posted is not enough. But it was approved, and with no explanation as to why other than Shaw's unfulfilled "soon" promise, rumors were created. They mostly surrounded Edgar's position as GM and involved him stepping down. Popular was the notion that John Fever, the name I've created for Tyson Stokes' agent, was chosen to be Edgar's replacement, and the deal was approved to ensure that he was sent to the team reasonably soon. This theory died when Sachimo Zoidberg became the next Legion GM, giving way to the belief that Zoidberg had been running the team behind the scenes but they didn't want to make the change mid-season. When asked, Zoidberg claimed to not know about the trade happening. There was no truth to these theories, or any other that came up.

john_collins.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Former Toronto general manager Tyler Edgar

I recently asked Shaw about the situation, as I had done in the past to no clear answer, but this time he was more willing to share. In the interest of full disclosure, I believe people have the right to know the truth in a situation where a VHL rule was forgone, especially considering the confusion that ensued. That being said, I also believe it is best to give his full quote rather than summarizing it.

First of all its worth noting the decision to allow was made by Jardy and Flyers, I wasn't involved for obvious reasons. Anyways, Edgar had intended have a new GM by then. He sent us Munk as his replacement and we told him we'd prefer Jaladolar (lol). So anyway, Edgar assumed he wasn't the GM anymore and thats why he didn't accept on time.

Given that we blocked his GM transition, they felt it wasn't fair to punish either side of the trade for the sake of a few hours when Edgar himself knew his activity was a problem and attempted to name a new GM prior to the trade.

So there you have it; Edgar had planned to pass the team on to Spunky Munk, but the commissioners did not approve of this replacement, instead suggesting someone such as Zoidberg, who did eventually become GM during the off-season. I wouldn't exactly call it "soon," but the reason that the trade went through is finally becoming clear.

Edited by Streetlight

Content: 3/3 - Hmm... Interesting. It's nice to know the actual reason why since it was a mystery. I like this media spot very much, along with your word on the street thing. It's really interesting.

Grammar: 2/2 - Only caught the one typo
chance int he playoffs = chance in the playoffs (typo)

Appearance: 1/1 - Looks good.

Overall: 6/6

Edited by Tylar