Super Cup Thoughts

Squinty

Basically this post thing is just to describe what I've thought about the whole Super Cup so far. It's been fun. I've enjoyed it. Being part of the very first also adds some specialness (is that a word) to it. It's definitely different than being a regular GM. Far more lax (I think), at least in terms of the draft thread having some casual conversation going on in it. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but whatever.

When I found out I was drafting third, I was kind of disappointed. I knew right from the get-go that regardless of whether I had the first pick, or the second, or whatever, I wanted Tukio. Devise was 1st, Edgar was 2nd, so really I only had Edgar to worry about. When he drafted Taylor, I was ecstatic, because I now had the (2nd?) best goalie in the league on my team.

Which brings me to something. Having our own players on our own teams is stupid. It's unfair to a lot teams. Obviously, Green and Devise have the definite advantage because they didn't have to worry about drafting an elite goaltender, and could start right off with grabbing a star forward. People like Minus and Ball were at more of a disadvantage, because their players obviously don't stack up as well when you compare their TPE for their players to say, Green who has I think 900+ TPE for Lebeau. So yeah, reconsider this rule for the next Super Cup.

Anyways, I'm pretty confident that my team can win. Devise probably has the best team in terms of character, simply because he made an effort to draft only actives. I applaud him for that, and kind of wish I did the same. At least I drafted people that weren't complete inactive though (save for Lebedev, but he doesn't count). Regardless, I'm sure that future GMs will lean towards an active team rather than a stronger team, since that's (namely) what this tournament seems to be about.

Should be fun.

Pce.

This is my 600th TPE for Valiq. Hurray.

It makes sense though to have GM's get their players. It's why we do the same in the VHL and with the World Cup. But a solution in the future could be to change the percentage of the lottery based on what GM's have lower/higher TPE for their players. So the players with the biggest disadvantage in terms of TPE would get an increased opportunity to win the lottery, ergo getting earlier star power players to make up for it. 

I think automatically getting your player should also not be part of the super cup.  It should be something like a gentlemans agreement that if you want your player they let you draft him in a reasonable fashion.  IE if Lebeau was the last pick in the 1st round he could draft himself there but not like in the 7th round that wouldn't make sense.  I know this rule wouldn't be supported by all and there is the possibility for interpretation for someone who has say 300 TPE and is a GM.  You could probably just base it on sorted league TPE if you have the 20th most TPE in the league then you draft your player in the 4th round 6 teams 6/12/18/24 20th would fall in your 4th round pick.

Yeah I thinl every GM should be at a level playing field so no teams getting there own players, cause lets face it a 300tpe +minus has a huge disadvantage over a 900tpe lebeau and so on. Even Squints was at a disadvantage cause he had to go draft a goalie unlike rift or Lebeau.

That simply doesn't work. GM's have to have their own players. Let's say a GM selects me and I'm another GM for their team. I instantly need to draw a line in the sand between whether I want my team to be good or the team I was drafted to be good. It creates an immediate conflict of interest in regards to wanting to build a successful team. Now in my case I'd still draft a solid team since that is the spirit of competition. But it would be really easy not to, and then the parity is ruined. 

While certain teams were at a disadvantage this time around and I do think we need could look into solutions for next time, they hardly are at severe disadvantages. Looking at every roster right now there are some good teams and some solid teams but I don't see an awful team. Every team will have strengths and weaknesses and thus far does. But brainstorming for a solution for next time is certainly in order. Limiting GM selection to only players roughly around the same TPE could be possible but then your relying on luck of the draw in regards to applicants. 

To kind of expand on Mikes idea, you could give GM's with their own player under a certain TPE amount an extra pick in the first round? So an example would be, in the current format both Sball and +Minus were the only GM's with any real disadvantage. While things like drafting a goalie plagued the Squinty/Edgar they still both have high TPE D men, some of the best in the league currently. So in this instance both Sball and +Minus would of been given an extra first round pick at the end of the first round. Can randomize it to determine who picks where but then they both get the option to add a little more star power to their team. But it sitll keeps the integrity of the lottery and the suspense of who goes first overall in tact without GM players actually needing to be drafted, which I think is silly. 

Teams could be forced to forfeit a pick determined by their player's TPE value. So for example in this draft Devise, Edgar, Squinty and Green would forfeit their first picks because each of their players were extremely valuable. Ball and +Minus would only have to forfeit their third round picks, they still lose a pick for their player, but they don't have to take them as early as the others do.

Basically everyone spends a pick on their own player, the just spend the one they should be spending on it.

Teams could be forced to forfeit a pick determined by their player's TPE value. So for example in this draft Devise, Edgar, Squinty and Green would forfeit their first picks because each of their players were extremely valuable. Ball and +Minus would only have to forfeit their third round picks, they still lose a pick for their player, but they don't have to take them as early as the others do.

Basically everyone spends a pick on their own player, the just spend the one they should be spending on it.

Thought about that but don't like it. Because it doesn't take into account draft lottery and value of a player. In this draft if the choice was between forfeiting first overall for Rift or taking STZ, I'd take STZ. Rift isn't worth first overall.....

Gotta say I like Noahs idea the best with the exception of making the draft lottery useless unless you apply the lottery to the 2nd round or the 1st round is still the lottery and the 2nd round is sorted by TPE of the GMs.

I do like the idea that Devise suggested in his second post about drafting your own player under a collective agreement between GMs, and in the round that is relative to your TPE. That way we can keep the lottery portion and no one has to technically "surrender" a pick.

That idea works ok if each GM has a player with differing TPE level.

What if there's a 3 time depreciated player with 800 TPE and a 5th season player with 780. Guess who gets to go first.

Whereas with the system you proposed a 3-time depreciated player with 600 TPE could lose the first overall pick, and an actively updating player at 570 might lose the 11th?

I do like the idea that Devise suggested in his second post about drafting your own player under a collective agreement between GMs, and in the round that is relative to your TPE. That way we can keep the lottery portion and no one has to technically "surrender" a pick.

Yeah Squinty, I really like what you had to say here. People should listen to this because it's probably the best option. You're the man!