Remove eight-season limit?

Since Molholt is bringing up some old ideas, here's another one that has had discussion in the past. Maybe if we implement a two-player system, this idea has some more merit to it. I honestly don't even know if I'm all for this idea, but I figure since we're discussing things, here's another thing for people to discuss.

Question: as we know, a player is limited to eight seasons after being drafted; should this limit be removed/increased?

Of course we would have increased depreciation as their career goes on, and even if we don't put a strict limit (say, 11 seasons), if someone goes on much longer, depreciation would bring them back to base eventually. Exact numbers could be looked at, but my initial thoughts are around 10/13/16% for seasons 9/10/11. Maybe even higher. Salary cap brackets may need to be adjusted as well, maybe just tack a 9th season to the Veteran bracket and make a new one for 10+ seasons. Again, this is something that we'd look at if this idea gained any traction.

It could potentially keep a member who is otherwise not planning on recreating. Take Lord Karnage for example; boubabi may not be interested in recreating right now, but he may keep Karnage around if he could. Given that he could now create a second player, perhaps he would do so, since he'd basically be improving a second player while mainly focusing on Karnage. Eventually when Karnage's time is up, he has this other player sitting there that maybe he decides to continue developing.

A downside might be that it goes against the history of the VHL. Previous players didn't have this opportunity, so career records might be broken. But it's not like stats are entirely comparable to previous generations anyway. Scotty's gaudy numbers were in part a product of the times. Players in the first 10 or so seasons had significantly fewer hits. Teams now have backup goalies with some added attributes, whereas CPU goalies of the past had nothing. For me, the matter of VHL history is a non-issue here. I think the last time this was brought up, someone used as an argument against it the fact that they didn't get to do it with their player, which makes no sense (except from a selfish "if I couldn't have it I don't want to see other people have it" standpoint).

I think a fair argument against it would be pointing to the fact that it means a player won't be replacing the aged player. This could slightly weaken a draft, but the two-player system that may be coming in could slightly alleviate this problem, as drafts will likely be stronger as a result of that.

DISCUSS

Another thing about this: for players that choose to do this, it could make for a more realistic career trajectory. A lot of top players just keep improving and improving even through depreciation. Season after season they are better than before (at least attribute-wise, which should in theory lead to better stats more often than not). And then after eight seasons, they just retire. I'm not one who likes to try to make sim league things as realistic as real sports things, but I feel like this idea is something that people might like.

4 minutes ago, boubabi said:

Rip vhl records then

But yes, its possible

Even with three more seasons, O'Malley would have had to work to catch Scotty's records. He was 219 goals behind, 107 assists, and 326 points. We'd make depreciation take a much larger toll on players beyond eight seasons, so O'Malley may have not even had three more 100+ point seasons.

Plus, this heightened depreciation will strongly urge a player to retire after a few more seasons. But the key thing is that it won't be forced. If someone wanted to start their 12th seasons with attributes in the 60s or 70s, fine. They'll still come with a higher price tag so competing teams won't necessarily want them.

We'd also continue to decrease the amount of carryover that you get for each season beyond eight that you go. Give players the option. Make it a possible career choice to play 10 or 11 seasons. But make it come at a cost. It gives some more freedom to the players, but through depreciation and reduced carryover, retiring at around season eight will be the most efficient option.

Edited by Streetlight

1 hour ago, boubabi said:

Rip vhl records then

But yes, its possible

Fuck the records. Such a stupid idea just to limit our playing seasons because the old gen's don't want to lose some records. If you were that great then, become that great now. Don't limit it because you want to be remembered as the best. :)) 

I've been a huge advocate on this. I think its absolutely silly for us to limit our playing seasons. Work so hard for 500-800 tpe just to have our career be forced into retirement. Some people don't even get enough time to become good and yes, it creates diversity, but how fun is that? People stay because it's active, interesting and enjoyable. Working you ass off with the limited amount of time you may have to only be able to enjoy your player and be really good for 3-4 seasons is a little ridiculous. 

I don't have the issue as I reach 600 tpe I believe with Campbell and will hopefully fly by that with Wolf, but I would like to have the option of going longer than 8 seasons. It may affect the draft, yes, but then how about switch it up and make the duration of our career last a little longer? Say 10-12 seasons and change regression to whatever it needs to be to adapt with the changes made.

So I would either say get rid of it all together or raise it to 10-12 seasons, although I'm much more in favor of just getting rid of it all together. 

If recreation is an issue, maybe give a stronger incentive on recreating. If the number of people in the draft is an issue or the rate at which we see new faces enter new careers is an issue, maybe think about advertising for the league much stronger and with different methods in hopes we attract stronger new members. It's great that this community is small, tight and fr the most part drama free. It's well ran and has extremely strong commissioners and admins. Due to that fact, I think they'd be able to handle a larger community efficiently. I now prefer the VHL over the SHL but I think adding way more members would be largely beneficial to the league.

Make an advertisement that runs on sites. I mean, we get a significant amount of donations, do we not? Some I'd imagine pays for the sight and maybe simming, but is there nothing left over? Put it to good use if so and look for alternative methods for advertising the VHL. We're only as strong as our own members and I think with more, it would improve the VHL (more activity - stronger LR's, more activity among the boards, more players - stronger teams, better drafts, maybe more teams - possible expansion for the VHLM and VHL and maybe more donations as well).  

7 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

No. 8 season limit keeps the VHL fresh with new faces, new teams, and new stars. Don't need Karnage/O'Malley et al to continue their dominance.

Sums it up perfectly. Need to keep league parity in check. 

It's pretty sucky though as a first gen after I just spent 1/8 of my career in the minors even though I was above 175 for every VHLM game and above 200 for most of it. Any hopes of making Podarok a hall of fame player are pretty much over, since I'll have played only 7 seasons

8 minutes ago, Banackock said:

If recreation is an issue, maybe give a stronger incentive on recreating. If the number of people in the draft is an issue or the rate at which we see new faces enter new careers is an issue, maybe think about advertising for the league much stronger and with different methods in hopes we attract stronger new members. It's great that this community is small, tight and fr the most part drama free. It's well ran and has extremely strong commissioners and admins. Due to that fact, I think they'd be able to handle a larger community efficiently. I now prefer the VHL over the SHL but I think adding way more members would be largely beneficial to the league.

Make an advertisement that runs on sites. I mean, we get a significant amount of donations, do we not? Some I'd imagine pays for the sight and maybe simming, but is there nothing left over? Put it to good use if so and look for alternative methods for advertising the VHL. We're only as strong as our own members and I think with more, it would improve the VHL (more activity - stronger LR's, more activity among the boards, more players - stronger teams, better drafts, maybe more teams - possible expansion for the VHLM and VHL and maybe more donations as well).  

We ran 60 dollars of ads on reddit for 3 months and received 0 members.  Do you think we really arent trying alternatives?

3 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

It's pretty sucky though as a first gen after I just spent 1/8 of my career in the minors even though I was above 175 for every VHLM game and above 200 for most of it. Any hopes of making Podarok a hall of fame player are pretty much over, since I'll have played only 7 seasons

You know many Hall of Famers played 7 seasons right? In fact..mine both did.

Just now, Advantage said:

We ran 60 dollars of ads on reddit for 3 months and received 0 members.  Do you think we really arent trying alternatives?

Was I aware of this? No. It seemed to work for SHL. Reddit may be the first issue? lol. Therefor, different alternatives other than Reddit. I once found multiple forums for the SHL - all having many members and a majority being hockey ones. One had like 50,000 members If I'm not mistaken. IF you can't find like 5-10 members on there, yeah, then give up. Just need to go to more sites and have a good AD message etc.

I don't necessarily see that it would be continual dominance of these players either. Just make the regression get continually steeper and steeper. Then you would have a very interesting choice for members: recreate and get back to being dominant, or keep churning along, put up stats that aren't anywhere as good as your prime, but have the ability to chase all time records

7 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

They don't want to lose their records, poddy. srry :(

• Senior Admin
2 minutes ago, Advantage said:

On that note, suggestions for new advertising locations are very welcome. I believe we've tried a few different paid options such as reddit and facebook. 

Just now, Draper said:

On that note, suggestions for new advertising locations are very welcome. I believe we've tried a few different paid options such as reddit and facebook. 

If you are willing to wait awhile, I can find you the list I gave the SHL. I'm very busy this upcoming week but Ill browse now.

Do we have a advertising or "foreign affairs" (lol) committee or whatever. Maybe this is something we should look into. No pay unless a good offseason? 

Just now, Banackock said:

If you are willing to wait awhile, I can find you the list I gave the SHL. I'm very busy this upcoming week but Ill browse now.

Do we have a advertising or "foreign affairs" (lol) committee or whatever. Maybe this is something we should look into. No pay unless a good offseason? 

Recruitment committee. That's the word I was looking for. 

• Senior Admin
2 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

Enough that it isn't completely out of the ordinary. Just going off memory, less than 7 is basically a no though.

Yes, Ethan Osborne comes to mind as first-gen who played 7 seasons.e

Though Bismarck Koenig played only 6 and he will likely get in.

2 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Was I aware of this? No. It seemed to work for SHL. Reddit may be the first issue? lol. Therefor, different alternatives other than Reddit. I once found multiple forums for the SHL - all having many members and a majority being hockey ones. One had like 50,000 members If I'm not mistaken. IF you can't find like 5-10 members on there, yeah, then give up. Just need to go to more sites and have a good AD message etc.

If I am not mistaken, SHL has also gotten into trouble spamming.  Something we have tried to avoid.  Again we have been trying many forms of recruiting..but people really dont like advertising for other sites.

4 minutes ago, Banackock said:

They don't want to lose their records, poddy. srry :(

That really has very little to do with it.  Flyersfan has outlined part of the issue I have with it.

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 5:36 AM, jRuutu said:

:P

Just now, Advantage said:

If I am not mistaken, SHL has also gotten into trouble spamming.  Something we have tried to avoid.  Again we have been trying many forms of recruiting..but people really dont like advertising for other sites.

That really has very little to do with it.  Flyersfan has outlined part of the issue I have with it.

Then get permission first? SHL also posted every single single and makes multiple posts during an off-season on one site. 

Leave it to one post in the appropriate area.